1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HP Ultrabook: HP Folio 13

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by BigNerd, Nov 16, 2011.

1. tribalnoise

tribalnoise Newbie

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Notebook Evangelist

HP might as well have released a new refreshed Envy 13...

If the fan does stay off I'd probably give this one a try

3. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Engadget review:

HP Folio 13 review -- Engadget

Had the longest battery life of the current ultrabooks... but is also the heaviest (and thickest?).

4. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Notebook Virtuoso

Looks like the Toshiba Z835 is the Folio's biggest threat:

"All told, the Folio 13 meets its stiffest competition in the Toshiba Portege Z835..."

5. weezintrumpeteer

weezintrumpeteer Newbie

This is a seriously good ultrabook. I bought one for my girlfriend for Christmas and I was very impressed with it. As far as build quality, it beats the pants off of the Toshiba. Not even close.

6. SoundsGood

How so? Can you be more specific?

7. weezintrumpeteer

weezintrumpeteer Newbie

I found the Toshiba to be very flimsy and cheap feeling. The monitor flexed like crazy, the materials felt cheap, and I didn't like how the keyboard felt. I guess that these are personal things, but it was my impression.

On the HP, the palm rest is made of metal which feels very nice. The keyboard is (IMO) great, the touchpad feels good (although the button is stiff...but I dont use that). The keys on the keyboard are laid out very nicely (the function keys are all mapped to specific functions like changing the volume, etc...akin to the Macbook way of doing things).

I really like the rubberized underside of the HP, as well as the metal lid.

All in all, it just feels like a quality laptop, something I didn't get the impression from on the Toshiba. It looks good, feels good and is built well. And this is coming from a guy that uses the latest Macbook Air 13" as my main computer. If I wanted a windows laptop, the Folio would be it for sure. In fact, I'd almost go so far as to say that I like the build of the Folio better than that of my Air.

8. SoundsGood

Good to know. The biggest complaint I have about the Toshiba is that I'm not comfortable typing on it. It just doesn't feel quite right.

But one thing I like A LOT about the Toshiba is that it has dedicated Home and End keys. I *really* wish this Folio had included those keys.

9. independent1

independent1 Notebook Guru

So HP gave out review units of the Folio and no the Envy. ... The Envy is supposed to be their top of the line model.

10. vengance_01

vengance_01 Notebook Deity

I think I still would rather have an IBM X220 when you can find them on sale. Longer battery life, better screen, and better build quality. Granted this ultrabook looks very nice. I really wish they would use a 1600x900 or 1440x900 screen.

11. SoundsGood

And fuglier too. ;)

12. vengance_01

vengance_01 Notebook Deity

Meh thats subjective. ;)

13. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

The Folio cheats a bit... weighs 3.3 lbs... ultrabook specs say < 3.1 lbs.

Pretty thick too.

14. excalibur1814

Answer:
    Ahh pants. I grabbed a 5330m for my partner and due to the i3 the fan is pretty much off most of the time. (P.s. If ONLY they had improved the battery life on that machine)

15. jeepfun

jeepfun Newbie

Question for your Folio 13 Owners...

Have had mine for over a week now and am very happy with it so far. Biggest complaint would be the screen angles but no issues with anything else. Also, to those worried about fan noise, mine is not always on - in fact doesn't go on much at all. When it is on, you do hear it but it's not too bad.

With that sad - two questions:

SSD and Defrag:
    The folio comes with an SSD but I noticed that by default, the system is configured to defrag the drive. I know that SSDs you are not supposed to defrag them as it's not necessary AND actually causes more wear. Anyone know how to get Windows to notice it is an SSD and disable Disk Defrag? I've got an SSD in my desktop and it just automagically worked that way.

Hibernation:
    The system is definitely configured to enter hibernation state at some point and does so but when accessing Power Profile, there is no configuration for it. As if the system thinks it can't and doesn't happen. Anyone have any ideas on how to reconfigure it so I can customize when to go to hibernate after sleep (I find it does it too quickly and does it while plugged in which I don't care for). Note, there is also a partition for Hibernation which I thought was interesting.

Hoping not to do a wipe of the system now that it's setup..
    Thanks

16. excalibur1814

1: Click start and type defrag. Click disk defrag... Configure schedule. remove the tick. Or, Click start, type services... Click services. Set the Disk defragmenter service to disabled.

2: Click start and type power. Click power options. Click change plan settings for the currently selected power profile. Change advanced settings. The settings for sleep are within.

Thanks for the fan info :)

17. jeepfun

jeepfun Newbie

Thanks -

Already did suggestion 1 - just seems strange to me as my desktop doesn't even allow you to enable defrag at all on the SSD there.

As to item 2 - no joy. Literally - no hibernate option Under Sleep. There is "Sleep->Sleep after" but no "Allow hybrid" or "Hibernate after". If I check the power options with "powercfg -a", it says that hibernate is not available. Pretty funky if I do say so myself.

To the guys that have wiped and installed fresh - how does it show for you?

Thanks

18. SoundsGood

19. Wally Simmonds

Wally Simmonds Notebook Enthusiast

I would be very keen for one of these if I could get enough RAM in it - I'm not sure if it can be upgraded. The other option is to get one of the new DM1zs with the I3s - all up it'd probably be cheaper, and I'd get to choose the SSD.

Anyone know if anything similar to these can support 2x8GB dimms?

20. d2daanny

d2daanny Notebook Consultant

Are the SSD's on this replaceable? (7mm maybe?) or would they be like the Macbook Air?