HP to Get Out of the PC Business? Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by J.R. Nelson, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phinagle

Phinagle Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Samsung is one rumor. Lenovo another.

Michael Dell seems to be thinking the same thing I am though, and tweeted that HP should spin-out it's PC Business back into Compaq.

2. kingp1ng

kingp1ng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In a few years, would HP computers still be called HP computers? What do you think? Since HP bought Compaq I barely ever saw a Compaq notebook. There are a few models on HP's website and in Costco, Walmart, Office Depot.. etc, but not as much as before.

What ever happened to Circuit City? Remember them competing with Best Buy? When Circuit City filed for bankruptcy, someone (I dunno who) bought Circuit City and I never heard from them again.

3. Phinagle

Phinagle Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Only the CircuitCity.com domain name was purchased, and turned into a solely online e-tail shop.

If HP sells it's PC division to another company, then the computer brand and model names will be changed. As a spin-off the new company could technically be called something like the Hewlett Packard Computer Company, in which case just about everybody would keep on referring to their computers as HPs.

4. Ayemageyene

Ayemageyene Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm for lenovo. I'd rather have them take over than Samsung.

5. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    IDK I like Samsung in the sense that make really stylish electronics. I love their Galaxy Tab and Samsung 9 laptops. :cool:

6. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    I think its more to gain for Samsung than it is for Lenovo. Both make decent consumer notebooks but Samsung would really benefit having a stronger business lineup by taking up the Probook/Elitebook range which would make more sense than Lenovo picking against their existing ThinkPad lineup. I would suspect Lenovo would just silently kill off the Probook & Elitebook line should they acquire the PC division which would be a waste in my opinion but that's just my assumption.

7. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well it's the perfect opportunity to eliminate a competitor, and get all their IP! It's no different than Microsoft buying out a company just to eliminate the competition. Buying HP could be in anyone's best interests. This will be interesting to watch.

8. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What IP? At this point, there's nothing mysterious about desktop and notebook computers. Looking at HP's business, there's a couple of tired trademarks and a really big consumer operation based on high volumes and high discounts.

I don't think that there's very of any value to be sold? What brand has so little credibility that slapping a HP badge on its product would actually improve their image? How hard is it to sell through big box stores?

HP did a pretty good job of destroying the Compaq brand. Go back a decade, and the Compaq brand was associated with business quality PCs. Now it only appears on the lowest of the low end consumer units sold through big box stores.

9. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Samsung makes more sense since Lenovo just bought Medion in Europe and is in a joint venture partnership with NEC Japan.

10. AMATX

AMATX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In most industries, when either biz is shrinking or profit margins are in decline for a long time period, consolidation occurs. Read company acquisitions, followed by layoffs. Tried and true way of boosting your profits by literally gobbling up the competition.

Dunno how this'll all pan out in this case, but it sounds like HP just doesn't wanna have a huge amount of their biz in a low profit margin area.

In regards to "Just buy Apple", my personal opinion is that Apple is way overrated and while 'pretty and innovative', it ain't gonna take over the market by any means. Over priced stuff with too much sizzle factor for basic bucks. I mean, just consider how, on this board, people will kill for saving $20 on a memory stick...as long as Apple prices for the premium market, most of the market is gonna go elsewhere. After all, 'puters are just another appliance when it's all said and done.

Apple left the 'puter market behind when Jobs announced the company name change from 'Apple Computers' to 'Apple, Inc.', or sumpin' like that, several years ago. Apple's in the gadget biz now and mainstream Macs are not the direction they're headed. Maybe the ipads are substantial, but old style desktops ain't where they're headed in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.