HP Thunderbolt 3 dock with my XPS 13 9350

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by kirkyboy, May 23, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirkyboy

kirkyboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I initially purchased the HP Elite USB-C dock to use in my home office; But when I got it I found out it used an USB graphics adapter (needed software, used CPU, compressed picture etc etc) and had no direct DP passthrough, idiotic, as it must cost more. It did charge my XPS 13 though.

So I sent it back and go the HP Elite TB3 65W dock instead. Its been great so far!

- Charges the laptop, seems identical to the regular charger
    - 2 full DP - 4K x 60hz at the same time if needed. Using it for one 1440P now though. U2715H
    - No drivers has been installed. I did reboot once (and maybe toggled some bios stuff).
    - USB audio worked without drivers, and use no CPU vs 4-6% from the internal audio in the laptop. I see the Dell website has at least 3 type of driver packages for their dock. I do have the latest bios and TB software of course.
    - I also have a usb receiver for a logitech keyboard plugged in it.

Saves me a lot of plugging in and out and with much less clutter.

Also I can use the original charger as a travel charger!

Might be moving the dock underneath the desk for even less clutter. Might need a 1M TB3 cable for that.

See picture. Pricey but recommended! (http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-elite-thunderbolt-3-65w-dock-p5q54ut-aba)

tb3.png

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    PAPPL likes this.
  2. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    Bro, you got me lookingand I found the ZBook 200W TB3 on Amazon for $103. Worth the try, my XPS 15 gets here Thursday.

Where did you pick up your cables? I can only find a 1.5 ft cable for TB3.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  3. joseph_lin

joseph_lin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Waiting for your review. I am really exciting to see the HP dock works on XPS 13. I have 3 XPS 15, I desperately need docking station for them.

Meetloaf13 likes this.
  4. Meetloaf13

Reputations:
    I'm very much anticipating the arrival of my XPS 15 and seeing how it plays with this dock.

I will update when I've had a chance to put it through the ringer (unfortunately, I won't get it until Thursday...ugh, and then I'll be out of town for a week (so not in my office where I'll be using it).

So, I won't get a chance to update on the dock for several weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  5. g.achrainer

g.achrainer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Be careful, only the 65W version of the dock has a single USB-C Plug, the others are special dual-plugs (power plug and USB-C)
    Also, for thunderbolt, cable length is very limitet. Longer cables may not work.

Meetloaf13 likes this.
  6. asdasdHunter

asdasdHunter Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does the power button on the dock turn on your laptop? If it does, I'm sold.

7. nufo

nufo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would love more info on these HP thunderbolt docks. If these work seamlessly with the XPS 15, I would definitely pick one up. Is anyone using the 150W or 200W version with their XPS?

G.achrainer: Can you clarify what you mean by "special dual plugs"? As in the dock plugs into the laptop with both a power and USB-C plug? Obviously that wouldn't work for our XPS's since the HP power plug is different.

Thanks in advance for the input!

8. Meetloaf13

Reputations:
    I believe the dual plug is one that made special for HP?

I will be receiving the 200, and will have it tested out probably in 3 weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

9. Waitan

Waitan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there,

according to this document http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04168358.pdf (Link editet) there is a special connector with the 150 and 200 W Version - its like thunderbolt and dc-input encapsulated into one plug.

Makes sense, since the thunderbolt-specifications allow only up to 100 W power delivery.

Regard,

waitan.

Edit: New link, first one was about headphones.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  10. nufo

nufo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for that info. Definitely seems like the 150 and 200W versions would not be compatible due to the combo plug. That's very unfortunate. I wonder if the 65W version would be able to charge the xps 15 even though the wattage is much less. The xps 13 charger works with the xps 15 (much slower charging) so I'm thinking that it may work.

kirkyboy - any chance you have access to an xps 15 to check if the 65W dock charges it?

Thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.