HP Thermal Profile management question

Discussion in 'HP' started by howardtaft, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:03 PM.

1. howardtaft

howardtaft Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,
    We recently purchased an HP Spectre x360 (GTX 1650, i7 9750H, 1TB SSD, 16GB ram) and I have a question which might be more of a general laptop performance issue but might also be related to HP Command Center's thermal profile management.

The issue I am having is that the 2.6ghz cpu is overclocking right out of the box to 4ghz every time I start up the computer. It stays this way until I play a game and then it ramps down to closer to 2ghz for heat management.
    This I understand is normal. The issue is, because of it running at 4ghz, the fans start going off just by simply using firefox/chrome, no gaming or anything else remotely taxing.

The options in command center are just default, go crazy or keep it cool. So I'm on default now.
    Would this be a case where I should create 2 user profiles, one for gaming and one not for gaming so I can "keep it cool" when not gaming. There is no reason for it to overclock when using a browser.

Also, as far as I can tell, the bios for this computer is super limited in that there are no over clocking settings.

I don't understand enough about how cpus work to know why it doesn't just run at 2.6ghz when you turn it on.

Thanks for any advice you might have!
    I hope I didn't miss another thread about this. I haven't had any luck searching around for an answer. Probably because I'm not sure how to phrase the question.