HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CliffW

CliffW Newbie

Reputations:
    This is exactly what mine is doing! There are a few people over on the official HP support forums complaining of the same thing.

When I have a bit of time I was going to try playing around too. It would be good to find a fix that doesn't affect battery life.

I'm less worried about this noise than how quickly the laptop gets hot though!

2. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You, me, them and 10,000 other Notebook owners from all brands. What I find disconcerting is that the problem is not new to electronics and not even new to Notebook manufactures. If there is one application where companies should take extra care to avoid coil whine it has to be personal devices like Notebooks etc. which are up close to the user... but apparently it's asking too much from them, I guess... :rolleyes:

Regarding testing; I already gave the min CPU power settings a whirl and they did nothing to change the situation. I was using CPUID HWMonitor to verify the CPU frequency and although the frequency did change when I changed min percentage, it had no effect. Running a CPU-intensive task (like CPU-Z's bench-marking tool) instantly eliminated the whine. Alas, that's of no use to us... :(

These photos from Ultrabookreview shows the lower-layer of components close to where the noise is strongest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That just might be power regulation board right above the fan but I'm only guessing here... but that would have been my first guess as to the source (coils).

3. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I strongly recommend using 'The Great Suspender' chrome extension. It basically suspends tabs you havent used in a while (30 mins?). Clicking anywhere on the page reloads the page, so the URL is saved. Great for getting a little more juice out of your battery but still use Chrome with some tabs open.

As for battery life, I'm getting about 8-9 hours on 30% brightness, on typical web surfing.

gadgetrants likes this.
  4. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Played One Finger Death Punch very smoothly (no FPS tracker). Got a little hot, didn't notice the noise (I'm pretty sure it was there, but I had headphones on) but that's about it.

5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks, that's a great tip!!!

-Matt

6. fritzman

fritzman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone aware of whether or not the new Skylake models of the X360 retain the M.2 socket and assuming that they do, whether or not it runs on pci-e 3 for the likes of the Samsung SM951 drives can be fully utilized (2200 / 1600 mb/s)? I'm finding it absolutely impossible to get a straight and definitive answer out of HP.

Looking at this one...

"HP Spectre x360 13-4100 13-4102tu Tablet PC - 33.8 cm (13.3") - Wireless LAN - Intel Core i7 i7-6500U Dual-core (2 Core) 2.50 GHz - Silver - 8 GB RAM - Windows 10 - Convertible - 1920 x 1080 Multi-touch Screen 16:9 Display - Bluetooth

Easily convert from notebook to stand to tent to tablet mode with a 360-degree hinge. No matter what you're doing, these convertible PCs with Intel Inside® are designed to meet your needs.
    Work in notebook mode, watch in stand mode, play in tent mode, go in tablet mode. These innovative convertible PCs have the flexibility to keep up with all your needs.
    No matter which way you use HP convertible PCs, the latest touchscreen technology makes the most of notebook, stand, tent or tablet mode.
    HP with Audio by B&O PLAY delivers the rich, authentic audio experience that immerses you so deeply in your music and entertainment that you can feel it. Don't just listen... let HP with Audio by B&O PLAY move you.
    Capture all the details with vibrant clarity, even in low light. Enjoy the nuances of face-to-face conversations, thanks to the HP TrueVision HD Webcam"

Quoting an RRP of NZ$ 3,051.21

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  7. shizzle

shizzle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is this available? I am searching for Skylake Hp Spectre x360 EVERYWHERE IN THE USA! Anybody help?

8. shizzle

shizzle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  9. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I honestly don't think you are going to see massive performance improvements with Skylake. Maybe if we were coming from something other than Broadwell...

10. sonyfxa36

sonyfxa36 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its a great machine regardless if its Broadwell or Skylake, I just love my Spectre X360

gadgetrants likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.