HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkprime

darkprime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the i7 with QHD screen and am not happy with battery life. At 40-50% brightness, I tried streaming an NFL game (through Chrome) and only got 2ish hours before the laptop was dead. I was expecting 5-6 hours.

2. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep. I had it in my Dell XPS M1330 too but I would say my x360 is louder. Unfortunately (and ironically) it only seems to appear @Low CPU utilization. Once I hit the enter key on a Google search (a simple example) the whine disappears altogether and reappears after the CPU's back to idle.
    I've gotten used to hearing it from Notebooks and fortunately I have to be leaning in and be in a completely silent room to hear it.

I'll tell you what's worse than CPU whine; electrical interference on the audio out. My Acer 1810TZ had it bad - plugged in my headphones and the interference was quite obvious, until I cranked up an MP3. In contrast, the x360 is 100% noise-free (at least up to ~11KHz because I doubt I'd notice anything above that now a days :p).

3. GBO323

GBO323 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK...got my laptop back. SSD wasn't restored to OEM 8.1. Still had Win10. Work order says the speaker was replaced.

Well...guess what? Still has pops whether sound if playing or not. I turned off system sounds and still get pops...and just got my first stutter sound. Will call them back after we get moved in over the weekend.

I paid $1400 for this top of the line machine and very disappointed in the audio/support experience.

Glenn

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  4. GBO323

GBO323 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Contacted support. They recommended I re-format due to issues with the Operating System. When I told them I has reformatted it last night after receiving it, they want it back for another look. So I've requested for them to wipe it and re-set it back to OEM Win8.1 again. Maybe that will help the audio...Win10 is OK...nothing to lose by going back to 8.1 until this issue is resolved.

5. abepaniagua

abepaniagua Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The pop when sound starts or finishes is a driver problem. Not Win10. Quality is top notch, this is the only issue that bothers me. But so far, laptop has been more reliable than the Apples at my house or the Dell.

6. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Once again for the coil whine, because it is really annoying. As i've said, in the beginning it was so slight i could hear it only if i put my ear on the left side of the laptop. Now, i can hear it even when i have it on the table in front of me. The point is that i do a lot of writing and reading so i often don't listen to music when i'm on the laptop, and when i'm not listening to music i can hear this screech. Have we found anything about it?

7. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can't imagine you've had the x360 that long, but I found this interesting and perhaps something got loose (getting looser)... ?

"The amount of coil noise in a device will often seem to increase as the devices age. This is often due to the degradation of the damping materials in the component. As an example, a layer of glue is often added atop coils in televisions. Over the years, this glue degrades; as a result, the coil is able to move more as it vibrates, and the sound level increases."*

As I noted in my above post, my unit's coil whine is only audible when the CPU is idling. quite the opposite from this quote:

"The effect is more pronounced as the signal passing through the coil increases in strength or nears the (mechanical) resonant frequency of the coil."*

"Whine" is not even that accurate, it sounds more like a super-high-pitched version of the sound a classic hard drive makes when accessing / seeking. Almost like morse code at high speed... :confused:

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

8. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't use Chrome if you like battery life.

9. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So my x360 sounds like this, slight lower in frequency than his Thinkpad, but essentially the same:

Here's a very straightforward clarification / solution which essentially recommend changing the amount of current going through the coil(s) by overclocking/over-volting. Obviously not a good idea for a battery-powered device, but my bet is that it could work with just a small change in current flow. At the very least, we could play around with the Power Options \ Processor state percentages. At least worth a shot when in "plugged-in" mode where a few more watts will not cause any real problems. The default value is 5% for both batt/plugged-in. One can change it in increments of one percent... ! :cool:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1094728/possible-fix-for-coil-whine

gadgetrants likes this.
  10. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow, now I realize my previous laptop was doing it like crazy! But the x360...quiet as can be.

-Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.