HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dory Nemo

Dory Nemo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! Does anyone know if it is possible to use the spectre as a keyboard/PC for an external monitor (in tablet mode) ?

2. lazat

lazat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why you wanna do this is beyond me ;D But you might try to disable the sensor which detects rotation and then the keyboard should stay on :)

3. Dory Nemo

Dory Nemo Newbie

Reputations:
    Ahah! :D The thing is that I am used to bigger screen sizes so I thought that having an external monitor could be useful at home because then it would give me more space for tasks like programming (using an external keyboard could also do the thing though). Now when you talk about disabling the sensor, is it something controlled by a software or the hardware? I looked up on the internet and I found a similar issue with the lenovo yoga. I let you read it (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...o-Enable-keyboard-in-tablet-mode/td-p/1503768). One suggests to put a magnet somewhere on the keyboard so that the it continues to work in tablet mode. Will I have to do something similar with the spectre?

4. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why not just plug your x360 into the external display via HDMI? I'm not quite clear why you want it in tablet mode...so it can sit on your lap like a keyboard?

EDIT: Ahh....thanks for posting the Lenovo thread. So *that's* exactly what you want -> convert the x360 to a keyboard+CPU while using an external (remember: wired) display. I guess it's a matter of personal preference...having the x360 display up while typing wouldn't bug me, but I can see how tucking it away is a cleaner solution.

EDIT: your question raises an interesting issue I'd never thought about before: while rotating the screen, at what point are the trackpad/keyboard disabled? The answer after testing it a few times is...about 190 degrees. In other words, it's an ugly option but you also have the choice of laying out the x360 totally flat -- keyboard facing you and the screen pointing straight up (which you can also turn off with an external display) -- and the keys and mouse will still be engaged. Not pretty but it works.

-Matt

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  5. Dory Nemo

Dory Nemo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for answering. You're right! Putting the tablet at 180° is actually not a bad idea after all ;) But I still wonder if it's possible to do a full rotation. Do you think the method with the magnet from the lenovo link would work with the spectre?

6. lazat

lazat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I meant disable the sensor with software.

If you just wanna use your spectre as "cpu, etc" it's a much cleaner solution to buy an external keyboard, and just plug the screen and keyboard in.

Edit: I'm doing this at home. I'm connecting a USB hub (where the keyboard, mouse are connected) and screen. Then I put my spectre into tent mode. By doing this I have my main big screen where I code in matlab/simulink and having pdfs on the spectre screen or other things of interest

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7. hdad2

hdad2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone else with Win 10 installed find their x360 wakes on it's own?

I close the lid, see the power button flash indicating sleep, and then when I unplug it in the morning, it is awake (solid lit power button) before I open the lid. It's only done this since Win 10 was installed. Anyone else?

8. abepaniagua

abepaniagua Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Mine has done that quite a few times...always involving an update.

9. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've noticed some update weirdness as well -- chalking it up to a brand new OS. ;) We're early adopters and if this were Vista or 7 or 8/8.1, we'd normally be suffering weeks if not months of sub-optimal behavior -- I'd say 10 is relatively well-behaved!

-Matt

10. Filenest

Filenest Newbie

Reputations:
    HP Spectre x360 - 13-4007na (ENERGY STAR) Crackiling sound card/speakers - anybody know how to fix this?

Starts after 1-2 min of Youtube running...bothers me a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.