HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    According to the Internet search engine gods, yes.

2. adrynalyne

Reputations:
    Look for a parts replacement guide. Compare it to the 4000 series. Or find an updated teardown.

I haven't found one, but if the part numbers match, we have two scenarios: you do not have B & O, or everyone does and HP didn't mention it.

3. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Trying to add a different perspective here... what if the speakers aren't B&O, but the same speakers as the current gen? Is that a dealbreaker?

When it comes to laptop speakers, I think most people fall into 3 categories: (1) Mostly use headphones, so speakers aren't a big deal; (2) If speakers are important, they would use external speakers, (3) use laptop speakers, but find the difference between the current vs. B&O speakers negligible.

Like you, I'd rather have B&O speakers, but for me it's more of a nice-to-have. I figure that with the small form factor of the Spectre x360, the quality of speakers is going to be pretty limited regardless of brand, meaning there won't be a significant upgrade with B&O speakers. I think if someone really wanted to use speakers, they're probably get way better results using a portable external speaker.

traveller and gadgetrants like this.
  4. Alex_spectre

Alex_spectre Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My logic is that if something isn't broken then don't fix it. Why would HP bother to replace the original speakers with premium brand speakers. It's more baffling why they don't advertise the B & O technology. I will make due with current speakers I guess.

5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for posing it this way -- I think it's helpful. FWIW I put myself in the third category. I also don't want to sound cynical, but my personal view is that when a computer company partners with an audio company (e.g., Beats, B&O, etc.), the goal is to convince people that by putting the audio company's name on the computer, the value of the device has measurably increased. In other words, "name recognition." So yeah it's very snarky reasoning but my sense is that the real change/improvement is negligible.

Given that the supposedly improved model costs the same as the previous "standard" model, I'd say the result is a wash. I wouldn't call it a case of misadvertising (to be honest, I never rely on Best Buy product descriptions) or deception unless you paid more for a product that is objectively the same as the old one.

-Matt

6. adrynalyne

Reputations:
    I'd call it deception if it was a reason for my purchase decision. A lot like the fabled user accessible ram slot they are falsely advertising.

7. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks, I definitely misspoke. It's deception regardless of whether the next gen product costs more or less than the previous gen, if they say "it's in the box" and it's not. But if you paid the previous gen price for the previous gen product, thinking you'd get more, then it's a judgment call. It's still deception either way, but in a sense it's also the "right" price for what is actually in the box.

-Matt

8. Styptic

Styptic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As others have mentioned recently, this is a common thing. I have had two Spectres now and they both made this noise, at about the same volume. It was really annoying at first (noticed it on day 2), but I am coming to live with it now. Better this quiet noise than a constant fan whistling.

It is coil whine of some kind, to do with the processor's sleep states. When the CPU is idle it makes this noise. You can cause the sound to go away by disabling the Intel HD 5500 device, but this is not exactly a good solution.

I have not found another way to get rid of it. There is some software available that can control what sleep states the CPU will go into, but it wasn't compatible with the processors in these laptops when I tested it.

If anyone has a solution or some ideas to try, I would like to make this thing even quieter!

9. adrynalyne

Reputations:
    It doesn't sound like coil whine to me. It sounds like a low pitched hum the CPU fan makes at low speed. I don't hear it at high speed, and I don't hear it when it first starts up and is idle.

10. Styptic

Styptic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it only audible if in a quiet room or with your ear pressed up against the laptop?

There are at least three different noises that I can hear coming from mine.
    1. The obvious fan noise, which is loud enough to hear from several metres away when on full.
    2. The coil whine associated with the processor power states, which is not a constant frequency but a scratchy, static-like buzzing. Only audible in quiet rooms or when I press my ear against the chassis.
    3. Thirdly, a constant frequency hum that is always present, regardless of laptop power state or charging state. Sounds like electrical buzzing, and changes slightly when screen is lifted or closed. This noise is again extremely quiet and only audible with my ear pressed against the grille on the underside of the chassis.

I would think that only the fan should be audible under normal usage, so if your noise is as loud as the fan, but is not caused by the fan, then I would probably contact HP.

On a slightly similar note, I would like to find out which component is causing the coil whine that I can hear, does anyone know (with some kind of proof) whether opening the underside of the chassis will 'void' my warranty?

I have read of people listening through a straw, held above their motherboard, to locate the individual component responsible for the whine, then putting a dab of epoxy on it to damp the vibrations. I want to try this, but don't want to have any issues with HP not honouring my warranty if I have opened the chassis.

traveller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.