HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalRed

CalRed Newbie

Reputations:
  2. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't noticed any problems with the reflection at all. I used to own the Lenovo Y50 UHD, which also had a reflective screen. I found the Spectre x360 had a better screen in all aspects, including reflection.

3. shizzle

shizzle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    New Model with Bang&Olufsen speakers and USB-C at Best Buy:
    Well i exchanged my laptop since I thought Win10 Usb C and B&O speakers. Nice. But it turns out that it is exactly the same laptop. No USBC no Bang and Olufsen. Only difference is that Win10 was pre-installed.

Anybody have similar experiences?

4. GX9

GX9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are your referring to the 4101dx or 4102dx? Those things are exactly the same laptops with windows 10 installed. It was just an error on their data sheets that said something about a USB-C. I'm guessing its for a planned refresh with skylake later this year.

5. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was watching this model closely, because I wanted to see if the new Windows 10 models came with USB-C. The specs listed USB-C and B&O on both the HP and Best Buy sites, but HP updated their specs not too long after Windows 10 was released. Khaneric mentioned in an earlier post that the new model didn't have these features.

6. D4rk_nVidia

D4rk_nVidia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone managed to fix the Sound Problem in Windows 10?
    It´s after a Minute or more Hearing Music or looking Videos with Edge.
    It starts cracking and it goes away for a Minute again if I pause and Play the Video or Music.

7. kinghu

kinghu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you both - I'll try both suggestions.

Really enjoying using this machine so far. I rarely like or use trackpads but do like the larger one on the Spectre and the customisation options so I may leave the mouse behind without fear now.

-- from my iPhone 6

8. thoots

thoots Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick update from me, and some responses to a few things.....

I bought the 13-4102dx -- the 512MB/UHD version with Windows 10. But the more I learned about Windows 10, the more I despised it. Without going into details, Windows 10 just advances the progression of taking the user out of all sorts of decisions about the machine, from simple stuff like choosing your own colors, to really big stuff like having no control over Windows updates and such. So, I returned it and got the 13-4005dx -- essentially the same notebook, but with Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 10. That's much better, from my perspective. I really wouldn't recommend Windows 10 to anyone, unless you like drinking the Microsoft kool-aid. And if you have Windows 10, well, just start poking around to see what's going on if you log in with a Microsoft account, from all of the synching it's set up to do by default, to how it's all set up to serve updates and gosh-knows-what to other computers that can see it on your network.

Anyway, I see no differences between the hardware at all. And yes, the screen is quite reflective. I don't know that you'll find much of anything else with a less-reflective screen, though.

In the end, I've had smaller and I've had larger screens, and the 13.3-inch size really meets my needs well. I find the keyboard to be excellent to type on, and I like the specifications -- the UHD screen, the fifth-generation i7, the 8GB, the 512GB, and so on. Plus there are very good things about it such as the form factor, the size and weight, the excellent keyboard illumination, the SD card slot that swallows the entire card, and so on. It's what I wanted at a price that I felt was entirely fine.

Finally, I should report that when I took the Windows 10 machine back to get the Windows 8.1 version, I got a turkey the first time -- it absolutely, positively wouldn't boot up, right from the beginning. The white light in the power button just blinked on and off, slowly. This happened from the first time I tried pushing the button, while the machine was charging, and after it had charged up fully. There were two physical differences I noticed about it as compared to the Windows 10 machine and the second Windows 8.1 machine I ultimately got, which is working just fine: On the "bad" machine, the power button was more "flush" than on the "good" machines -- the power button on the others is raised just a very slight hair, while button on the bad one was flush and you had to push it "into" the machine. Also, the bad machine had a different power adapter -- the information label on it was in "landscape" orientation instead of "portrait" as it was with the good machines, and the mickey-mouse-ears plug on the power cord that plugged into the adapter didn't go in as "deeply" as it did on the other two -- its plug was about half as long as the other plugs. It was very strange to get a DOA machine, but very interesting to see how it was truly different in these areas. I'm very glad that it was DOA and I got rid of it, as I've been completely happy with the two good ones. With the exception of the pre-installation of Windows 10 on the first one. ;-)

9. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I am certainly not drinking the MS koolaid and I enjoy Windows 10. Of course, I am using 10 Pro and am quite familiar with gpedit and regedit. Early adopter bugs aside, I've lost no freedoms. I get that some people don't like 10, but to say if someone likes it they are drinking koolaid....not cool.

10. thoots

thoots Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Pro and gpedit might help. Neither of which are available on the 13-4102dx. Without them, you're pretty limited in regards to doing away with whatever Microsoft decides to install onto "your" computer via Windows updates. And I was really quite shocked to see how much synching via OneDrive was going on -- you don't so much "decide what you want to synch," as most folks won't have any clue whatsoever what's going on in the background. You have to understand what's going on, and then you have to go and "undo it" if that's not exactly what you had in mind to do with "your" computer. And then the bit about how it's all set up to be a server for Microsoft's updates to other computers on your network -- again, with no documentation provided with the operating system at all, how are average users going to even begin to comprehend stuff like that?

I started using computers back in the early 1980's, installed my first hard drive back when it was a 40 MEGABYTE drive to go along with the existing 20 megabyte drive, and for decades, I have set up my computers to be "the sharpest knives" to meet my needs. To do exactly what I wanted them to do, and virtually nothing else. Forgive me for referring to it as "kool-aid," but Windows 10 is really just heading farther down the road where the computer does what Microsoft wants it to do, and Microsoft keeps on taking away any means to set it up any other way. Sure, you can spend hours editing the registry, but personally I will continue to rail against how Microsoft has moved this operating system that used to let me set things up exactly the way "I" wanted them, to one wherein they are actively trying to keep me from doing such things, and to keep me from trying to undo what they have decided that my computer must do for "their" needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.