HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shizzle

shizzle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Where do you check for updates?
    And did it never occur to you that after some time the entire sound system crackles and distorts, doesnt matter what you play and which software you use?

2. GX9

GX9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did my updates just thru windows updates.
    Anyway I did notice that, but when I disabled the DTS Audio Control Panel Audio Enhancements(unchecked it) it never happened again, as far as I know or can hear. I usually use headphones though.

3. shizzle

shizzle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yea it never happens to me with headphones. I just worry if there is something wrong with the hardware or software. Maybe I will return the laptop until Saturday and get a new one. But I kind of feel it is a software issue. I dont know.

4. Arrowblade

Arrowblade Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm glad it's not just me! I was wondering whether it was just my mind playing tricks or maybe i was just expecting even faster boots from windows 10. A little bit disappointed but certainly nothing soul crushing.

In regards to the sound, i'm at the office (lunchtime) so i'm playing some music via itunes at half volume and trying to listen for any cracking or popping but i havent heard anything out of the ordinary. I usually listen to the music through a bluetooth headset and that is crackle free too. Maybe i would have to blast up the music to get it to crackle?

I have the DTS setting on music preset if that makes any difference?

5. D4rk_nVidia

D4rk_nVidia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I uninstalled Driver like graphics, Audio, Card Reader and Thing like that.
    Since yesterday there are new Driver for Windows 10 from Windows.
    I dont know if the Sound bug is fixed. Maybe it depends on the Audio rate from music.
    The touchpad works nice with new Driver. It works like it should !
    Theres still a unknown device in the device Manager. Any idea?

6. kcface

kcface Newbie

Reputations:
    HP threw up a bunch of Windows 10 Driver updates today, just a heads up. They don't show up in support center but do show up on the model's support page. Chipset, Audio, Graphics, storage controller.

meowflying likes this.
  7. Styptic

Styptic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I went through and looked at these updated drivers. Comparing the version numbers, I already have these installed. I assume they have installed through Windows Update.

During the upgrade to Windows 10, I chose to check for updates. Perhaps this was when it got the new drivers? Just check your installed versions before downloading.

The only one I haven't got is the BIOS update. I don't quite know what it would fix though, since the screen rotates and I get a message every time I fold the screen back asking if I want to put Windows into tablet mode. I think I'll skip it for now unless someone can tell us exactly what it changes.

8. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There should be an option in settings to remember your choice when switching to tablet mode. When I flip my spectre to tablet mode, the pop-up shows up, but is partially covered.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  9. thoots

thoots Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Folks,

I picked up a 13-4102dx at Best Buy a few days ago, here's a quick report. This is the 512GB SSD / 2560 x 1440 / Windows 10 model. I paid $1,430 on Saturday, and then saw the price go down to $1,400 when I was looking something up about it on Sunday. Went back on Monday and got my thirty bucks back.

The machine is nice. Really nice design. I'm pretty much happy with everything (except maybe Windows 10) -- good screen, good keyboard, good keyboard illumination. The F6 light mystified me at first, but I learned it was by design, and I did check the BIOS to see that I could disable the light. But, I'm keeping the light as is -- when things go dark, it's just so super-easy to hit the right button and get the keyboard illumination. I guess the opposite of that is the keyboard in good lighting conditions -- with the illumination on, the key labels go white, and are pretty hard to see. So, turn the illumination off and you get good, visible, black key labels again. So, I expect I'll be going back and forth, as needed.

I have been installing software and such, and I certainly haven't heard the fan run, at all. I haven't paid specific attention to it -- perhaps it has turned on, and it's been at such a low level I haven't noticed it, but the bottom line is that I haven't heard a fan running yet, at all.

I'm not too concerned about the trackpad -- I generally despise them, and I'll use a Bluetooth mouse instead of the trackpad. What I'm more interested in is the trackpad's "palm rejection" for when I type, and that has been very good -- by far the best I've ever experienced.

Windows 10 is really kind of a bust -- as far as I'm concerned, all they did was make something resembling a Start Menu with tiles off to the side, which will pop up when you press or click the Start button -- rather than the full-screen tile display. Whoopee, big deal. I didn't see any way to turn the leftmost part into anything resembling the old Windows Start Menu -- it was just a list of recent programs or whatever. And I didn't see any way to really turn off the tiles to the right, as opposed to maybe just deleting them one-by-one. There is actually an option to return the action to the Windows 8-style full-screen thing, and I chose that, instead. Otherwise, I've been using the Classic Shell program ever since Windows 7, and it took me about ten minutes of playing around with Windows 10 before I just went ahead and installed it on the computer. And I should note that it's best to go to the Classic Shell web site and install one of their recent beta versions, which works better with Windows 10 than the current "released" version does. They have a note about it right on their main web page.

What irks me about Windows 10 is the continued removal of any means to control the colors of things -- stuff like the hue and brightness sliders in Windows 8.x didn't even make it to Windows 10. Just use the handful of pre-selected colors Microsoft provides, and shut the heck up about it, you whiners. Or so Microsoft appears to be saying. In the end, I see the reduction of options like these, the Start Menu nonsense I described above, and otherwise absolutely NOTHING different from Windows 8.x, beyond the tossing in of Cortana and the Edge browser, both of which I probably won't use. From what I've seen of Windows 10, I probably WON'T update any of my 8.x machines to it. On a technical note, I saved my old Windows XP color scheme (for title bar colors, menu colors, 3D objects colors, and so on) to a Registry file many years ago, and it worked just fine when I launched that -- so I have given Windows 10 my colors, that way.

I really don't expect to use the computer as anything other than "a traditional notebook," so I have no insight in the tablet modes and so on. Again, I don't care so much about the trackpad, so long as I can type with the thing laying there. And for sound, I'll use a Bluetooth speaker to get some decent sound. I haven't heard anything really amiss from the built-in sound, though I'll say that it doesn't get very loud at all -- perhaps the least volume I've heard from any notebook I've ever owned.

In the end, the hardware is just great -- I really like the 13.3-inch size for the overall computer, the screen, and the keyboard, and it's nicely thin and light. I haven't confirmed any battery life numbers, but it seems to be better than most other notebooks I have owned. It has plenty of ports, including the full-size HDMI port, and, rather importantly, the card reader port will swallow an entire SD card so it fits "almost flush" -- there's just the tiniest hair sticking out, which you pretty well need in order to get cards in and out of it easily. I bought a 256GB SD card that I'll keep in the slot "semi-permanently" -- it'll be the way I'll move files between the notebook and my desktop. Compare that to some other notebooks that have shallow slots that keep most of the card sticking outside of the slot, and it's great to be able to plug in so much storage on a near-permanent basis.

The only real problem I stumbled onto was the OneDrive situation -- I also have a Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1, and I absolutely did not comprehend that OneDrive would just automatically grab the things I was setting up on the HP, and synch them over to the Surface. So, all of the fighting I was doing with the Windows 10 lack of colors wound up getting automatically applied to my Surface -- man, that was a shock the first time I fired up the Surface after I had the HP all set up. I have since done everything I can to delete and destroy OneDrive as much a humanly possible -- I absolutely DO NOT want any kind of "cloud" nonsense going on, and especially all of the "automatic synching" with other devices, all set up to go without new owners (like me) even comprehending what might be going on in the background.

So, that's the story for now -- I hope it helps. And I'll be glad to try answering some questions, if you might have any.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  10. kinghu

kinghu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Picked up the 4003dx model (i7/256/8/1080p) a few days ago and really liking it. I'm coming from a Yoga 2 Pro (poor battery) and have previously had MacBook Airs (poor screen) so really appreciate the Alu premium build, great battery and HD screen.

After disabling the F5 weird permalight, I'm just wondering if there's a way to dim the display to 0 or black, as in dimming to off? I've been used to doing this on the MBA and Y2P for times when I'm waiting for a long task to complete (downloading/syncing/copying across drives/streaming media to my phone and tablet) so save the display but keep the rest active.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.