HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. androsooner

androsooner Newbie

Reputations:
    I just purchased a new x360 (i7,8gb, 256gb, 1080p panel) this week and I wanted to share my experience. My first unit had a couple of dead(or stuck?) pixels so I exchanged it for another unit. This one also has some pixels that are dead or stuck. They are especially visible on solid black background. This latest version also has some image retention issues. If I spend just a few minutes browsing and then switch to a solid gray background, I can clearly see the browser bar and many other static items that remain on screen for several minutes.

I just spent 4 years with a Lenovo X220 with image retention issues and I really don't want to put up with this issue any longer. Has anyone else seen these issues? I'm going to try one more exchange and if the next panel is not any better then it looks like I will be looking elsewhere. I really wanted to like this device.

2. skriefal

skriefal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I ran the Windows 10 Insider Preview for a while on an x360 -- including the final RTM-equivalent version -- and had wifi problems. The 'ole "wi-fi doesn't work after resume" (sometimes) issue appears to be back. It took Intel nearly forever to fix that issue in Windows 7; hopefully they'll be more on-the-ball with Windows 10.

3. ElirazB

ElirazB Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi to all, I have a question.
    I'm about to order one of these, I've been waiting for the Windows 10 upgrade and also USB-C.

On the HP website in the specs it says USB 3.0 and on the data sheet it says "3 USB-C, all supporting USB Boost".

So what am I getting? USB 3.0 or USB C (3.1 supposedly)?

Thank you

4. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It appears to be both. USB-C and USB 3.0 aren't mutually exclusive.

Think about USB 3.0... even though laptops were upgraded from USB 2.0 to 3.0, the connection type (USB-A) stayed the same. In the case of the new Spectre x360 model, the connection protocol stays the same (USB 3.0), but the connection-type was updated (USB-A to USB-C).

Essentially what this means is that you get a new connection, but functionally it's the same. You don't get all the exciting features USB 3.1 promises to deliver (10GB/s transfer, ability to charge the laptop from the USB port). This means for the time being, you have to carry adapters for your current devices (USB-A) to connect to your Spectre x360 (USB-C). On the other hand, your laptop is good to go when USB-C devices are being produced in mass in the next year or so.

5. jackintosh

jackintosh Newbie

Reputations:
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is why I didn't wait for the Windows 10 version.

6. stuckat1

stuckat1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah!!! Looks like HP updated the BIOS so now you can manually disable the keyboard light function key when the keyboard light is off.

7. svenhassel

svenhassel Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same model, and the experience was the same. Don't worry about the heat, It will disappear after you update the software and bios.

On the other hand, I am also experiencing battery life problems. It goes down quickly, even it battery saver mode, with the screen brightness at 50% . So far it is away from the 10 / 12 hours range that most of "pro" reviewers posted. I don't know if I got a lemon, if the battery needs some charging cycles, or if there is something wrong with the software. This is the only thing that gets me nervous so far, because battery life (together with convertible mode) was the main reason to buy this thing. The rest is working perfectly.

Yep, I could turn off my F5 light!

8. GX9

GX9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just upgraded to windows 10, first time didn't work out, the second time was good though. My problem is the win 10 three finger gestures don't work. Just wanna ask if you guys have found a solution to make it work?

9. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It looks like the HP website updated the page for the 4101DX and removed the USB-C spec. Apparently Best Buy has these models... I tried to check one out and see if this model was USB-A or USB-C, but they couldn't find the shipment (probably still being opened or something). If it's actually USB-A on the new model, I'd opt for that instead.

10. meowflying

meowflying Newbie

Reputations:
    Just updated to Win 10, working like a charm, very nice OS. The fan still working even when I just using few pages in Firefox. What to do with that issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.