HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Vsxp

Vsxp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's an excellent wrap up and now I'm feeling extremely positive that I've done the right thing ordering the QHD display yesterday!
    Since 90% of my use will be indoors and almost 75% of my job relies on text editing and watching videos I felt that QHD was the right way to go. I wanted that "retina feeling" without going to the dark/mac side. Also I was afraid that the extreme brightness of the FHD could ruin the balance I needed so let's hope that I did the right thing! I hope that when I will receive my parcel that nits war would be just unnoticeable and I will focus only on the positive points of the Spectre!

GBO323 likes this.
  2. bobcatmvp1

bobcatmvp1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    gadgetrants likes this.
  3. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting! In what application were you reading the text? What was the font? What was the font size?

Regards, Jim

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  4. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Folks that have the 3200 x 1800 screen claim that the mustard yellow is 99 % fixed. I think part of the fix is running at high screen brightness.

I use IE 11 Metro, not desktop, with all of the IE popup blockers active. I use the HP Balanced power plan with only minor changes to when to sleep (never), when to hibernate (never), etc. with 50 % brightness on battery. Powercfg /batteryreport reports the average run length has been 10 hours 10 minutes since the OS was installed. Battery Bar Pro says current run time will be 10 hours 50 minutes. My use profile is fairly light, Internet, Email, card games, board games, the usual updates and virus scans, some video, some music, etc.

Regards, Jim

5. henrydb

henrydb Newbie

Reputations:
    I was reading a book in Safari Online bookshelf (in the 'HTML view') in Internet Explorer. The font was 15pt Verdana I think.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  6. shizzle

shizzle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    well i looked at both screens fhd and qhd. the brightness difference is quite noticeable.
    even the fhd is sometimes not bright enough. people should look for themselves.

i went with fhd and am happy. mostly bright enough and whenever i want it brighter than possible i just think of how awful the qhd must be :)

7. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When I open the lid after sleep mode I have to press the power button to wake the laptop up, which is not the most convenient thing since I have to search for the power button and press it pretty hard. I think at very first I was just cklicking a random key and it woke up, but how can this have changed? Are there any options for that?

8. svenhassel

svenhassel Newbie

Reputations:

Have you tried the advanced configurations in your power plan? Search for the "lid action" setting

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    Jim's got it right. Amazing how long it takes rumors - positive and negative - to die. You can buy any Lenovo, Samsung and Asus QHD+ and have no worries of mustard yellows. At worst it was on battery and then only on brightest setting. Back it down one notch and it was never visible. With the Samsung/Lenovo patch it's gone.

Jim's also right that the Asus 303LN is the only ultrabook with discrete graphics - nVidia 840 I believe; no Alienware but most games playable on medium, 1368x766 worst case. Don't know about heat/throttling on that model though, so I would research before buying.

Btw, always a good idea to take Jim's ("Hawkeye's") advice. The few models he hasn't owned - he's researched intensively. Treat him like a best friend /know-it-all re: Ultrabooks and you'll do well. ;)

10. ctdw

ctdw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had the QHD but returned it due to the screen brightness as well as scaling issues with a number of apps. I was going to just stick with my Retina 13 MacBook but decided to give the FHD x360 a chance. The screen is much brighter and I think the FHD screen looks good still overall. The reality is that a number of my apps don't handle the scaling well so they really look better on FHD vs QHD. I run the FHD screen at 100% so I have no scaling issues now.