HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henrydb

henrydb Newbie

Reputations:
    In terms of clarity and detail (in suitable lighting conditions) I preferred the QHD for reading text (approaching 'retina' clarity) and viewing photos. The blacks on the QHD looked very black, and to my eyes, the whites looked somewhat off-white (could partly be a colour-calibration issue, but I think also due to the fact it's dimmer). The FHD screen by comparison had much brighter/whiter whites, but with perhaps a bit less contrast overall.

I think I will take another look at both this weekend to confirm my initial impressions before making a final decision.

2. JackFlap

JackFlap Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to boot from the USB to install an OS (Windows 10 in my case)? I can't get the X360 to do this. I've disabled secure boot in the BIOS, among other workarounds I've found, but I still haven't got the option to boot from USB in the boot options. Any help would be appreciated.

3. UDFlyer2k15

UDFlyer2k15 Newbie

Reputations:
  4. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OK, here is another update. I spent some more phone time with HP Tech Support today. This time I got enough information to reset my BIOS to F.00. Battery Bar Pro then began working properly. But, I wanted a newer BIOS, so I went to HP Support and found only one BIOS version that was available for update, Version F.04. Battery Bar Pro still works, but I would like to go back to F.10 which is what my x360 had from the factory and Battery Bar also worked with that BIOS version. I will report back if I can find BIOS Version F.10.

Regards, Jim

Latest update: There does not appear to be any Versions between F.04 and F.11. F.04 was released Feb 10, 2015, F.11 was released Mar 18, 2015 and F.12 was released April 21, 2015. I am going to stick with Version F.04 until I see a need to update to a later version.

Jim

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  5. Vsxp

Vsxp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your description seems to match with the overall impressions. I can't understand what the limitations are for manufacturers to offer a decent QHD display. Currently I'm leaning towards the FHD if I could have it with 8GB RAM. I will wait for your final impressions after the weekend experiment!

6. JackFlap

JackFlap Newbie

Reputations:
    GBO323 likes this.
  7. UDFlyer2k15

UDFlyer2k15 Newbie

Reputations:
    Let us know how the install goes .....

8. yjacket2001

yjacket2001 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Howdy HPers!

Has anyone converted to Win 7 pro yet? I'm not waiting on Win 10 and will wait 2 years at least before jumping on. Windows is fantasizing on their virtual reality glasses (what a poofer!) so I'm looking for a slow problem-filled rollout of win10. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not using WIn8 for one day after trying once. It would not work or even shut off and it was on a Sony!

Anyway, any problems foreseen in Win7 Pro upgrade? I could care less about touch screen, and think it will just shorten screen life and cause "Win 8" problems, lol.

TIA!

9. JackFlap

JackFlap Newbie

Reputations:
    The install went well, using the info in the link you provided above. Now I know how to manually make a bootable USB drive. I've not used it much, just installed a few things and some light web browsing. No problems yet. Windows 10 looks and feels great on this machine!

10. notebook101lol

notebook101lol Newbie

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.