HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vsxp

Vsxp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    alkpit Σε ευχαριστώ! Unfortunately I can't buy the laptop VAT free otherwise the price of 1100 euros sounds quite reasonable for these specs!
    GBO323 thanks for the input, your experience sounds quite reassuring. My ideal setup of the x360 would also be with 8GB of RAM and 512GB SSD but this can't be found in Europe AFAIK.

If the QHD display was of a "Retina" quality or equivalent I wouldn't bother that much to pay the 300 euros premium for having the best specs. I don't really care for the i7 but since I'm planning to hopefully keep the laptop for at least 4 years I think that in the long run QHD would be a standard. My previous laptop was a FHD Sony Vaio bought back in 2011.

What still troubles me is that picture of both screens [​IMG]
    QHD on the left and FHD on the right.

2. madmook

madmook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't know how to check, but I am pretty positive that my FHD's screen is lower than 260 nits on the lowest brightness. 260 would be eyeball searing in the dark, and I've used my x360 plenty in the dark without melting my retinas.

3. Vsxp

Vsxp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's great! I have no experience with the x360 display but I also think that this looks extremely high, I don't know if there are any third party software that could dim the screen to any level that it is needed. There is also a speculation that in German (maybe European too?) market darker QHD panels are used, there was a similar case with XPS 13's 4K display. Also a French review of the QHD panel mentions that it is too dim alone and even more compared to the FHD.

I have also found that the Dutch base model comes with FHD/i5/8/128 for 1050 that seems almost ideal with a potential SSD upgrade in the near future, unfortunately they don't ship abroad!

4. Vsxp

Vsxp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Double post

5. henrydb

henrydb Newbie

Reputations:
    Vsxp - would you be able to post a link to this review if you have it?

6. Vsxp

Vsxp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Of course! Here is the really positive review of the FHD version
    Here is the not so great for the QHD display.
    So far both the French and German reviews agree on the display brightness.

7. nightscrawler

nightscrawler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I get into the same situation here. Cannot find much information regarding the QHD panel. Apart from brightness concerned, I also have concern on its color gamut. It looks to me that HP's website only mentioned the "72%" for the FHD panel, without referring the same to the QHD panel. More color space must be better for photo editing and general viewing.

8. nightscrawler

nightscrawler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It seems brightness will be sufficient for my own use. I have another convertible, Yoga Pro2, which measures in similar brightness (from the anandtech.com). I found that its sufficient for me.

9. henrydb

henrydb Newbie

Reputations:
    Merci!

I've been to-ing and fro-ing between the QHD and FHD versions for a while. I've seen both models in different stores, but not side by side. The QHD version is certainly much dimmer, although just about fine for the basement store lighting conditions where it was displayed. I do think though if it only had just a couple of additional notches of brightness it would be perfect. The higher resolution makes for very crisp scaled text, and great detail when viewing photos, but I think I'm reluctantly going to end up going with the FHD model, as I think for my use the dimmer screen would frustrate me more often than the added resolution would benefit.

10. Vsxp

Vsxp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That brightness theoretically could work for me too. Although the European models seem to use completely different panels. The only measurement I found on color accuracy was something of 85% sRGB for the FHD but I can't remember the source. Some "minor" things force me to appreciate more the monolithic and unchanged specs that Apple prefers.

Glad to help! Do you think that QHD has an edge towards text editing and white and black balance? I'm only relying on specs so my decision becomes even harder. Judging by the fact that the French QHD has an extravagant cost of 1700 euros I could understand your concern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.