HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    7.5 hours with QHD actualy seem great. I agree with you: the last days i've been watching movies in tablet or tent mode and it's marvellous.

I'm looking forward to W10 and the new browser. I've been amazed so far that in IE11 the scrolling and the touchscreen is so much smoother than in Firefor and Chrome. It's a huge difference, i am thinking maybe MS did something on purpose to make us use Internet Explorer (seriously or not)

GBO323 likes this.
  2. alkpit

Reputations:
    Hi

I ordered directly from the Greek store and paid just like i would in any other situation, that is i paid the normal greek VAT 23%. I guess the import taxes were paid by the store and were integrated into the price, which was not ridiculously high so i can assume the store has some kind of agreement with US stores and brings all kind of electronics here in Greece (for example, i could buy if i wanted the Samsung Ativ Book 9 plus, which isn't even available in Europe since last year). I understood by the store's owner pronunciation of some English words that he must have lived in the US fos many years.

3. GBO323

GBO323 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've put the Win10 Tech Preview on another HP Pavillion I have and will say, I'm SO TEMPTED to put it on the Spectre. I really like what MS is doing with Win10..such as:

1. Multiple Desktops. Coming from the Mac, I'm so glad to see that.
    2. Cortana. The first built-in OS virtual assistant. Beta experience is limited, but each release adds feature.
    3. Hopeful of better battery life
    4. Start button menu. Wow....it all I can say.

4. GBO323

Reputations:
    Oh no....I did the Intel Driver Utility and installed the PRO Wireless/bluetooth updates and it messed up my WIFI and deleted my Bluetooth. Kept dropping my connections and turning off WIFI. Had to uninstall the 7265 Device and then re-link it to the older OEM WIFI Driver in the C:\SWSetup folder. For now, I'm going to just rely on the HP Support app to put my drivers in. If it's working, I wont try to "fix" it from elsewhere.

5. madmook

madmook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oops, sorry about that.

For Intel's wifi drivers I always download and install the drivers only package, never the PROSet software package. I am fine with the built-in Windows stuff for network management.

And I didn't update the bluetooth drivers because I don't really use BT on my laptop. Glad that reverting to the OEM drivers seems to have cleared things up for you. I've also kept the SWSetup folder around for that reason, just in case.

6. GBO323

Reputations:
    Mad, it's all good. I learned a good lesson....and how to revert back to the original drivers. Glad I chose to not delete that SWsetup folder after all.

7. Vsxp

Vsxp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey!
    I'm seriously thinking of buying x360 and I've read almost everything here about its pros and cons.
    I have a trouble choosing between the FHD and the QHD display.
    I generally prefer dimmer matte screens and I usually work in lower brightness levels since I'm mainly writing. Although I watch some movies too so I would like to crank up a bit the brightness there or when I need to work (rarely) outdoors. Finally since I work with B&W pictures and movies I need an excellent black (I know that it is not really possible in non-AMOLED displays)

According to the German reviews at Notebookinfo.de:
    FHD has 370 cd/m2 max and 260 cd/m2 min brightness with 943:1 contrast
    QHD has 225 cd/m2 max and 130 cd/m2 min brightness with 875:1 contrast

I think that QHD's 200 nits would be OK for work but I would like to have more if that's needed due to the glossy panel and other circumstances. Also FHD doesn't go any dimmer than 260 nits that could be a problem when I don't need that much of a brightness.

Unfortunately living in Greece I can't see the laptops and decide also I will have to buy the German QHD or the French FHD version.

The French FHD is i5 with 4GB RAM and 128 GB SSD for 950 euros (I need min 8/256)
    The German QHD is i7 with 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD for 1300 euros (Almost $400 difference)
    I could also buy the US imported BestBuy version (FHD/i5/8/256) from a local store but this would be around 1400 euros

Do you have any other suggestions or comparison between these two displays?

8. alkpit

Reputations:
    Γεια σου, πατρίδα! I was having exactly the same problems with you and you may have seen that I bought the bestbuy model, which didn't cost me that much since I paid as a company so I took the VAT back. In the end, I paid about 1100 euros. Here in Greece, among others, we are unlucky when it comes to electronics.

If I were you, I would go for the german QHD. If I paid 1300 for that I wouldn't feel bad, because the QHD panel is supposed to compensate.

The device is great, go for it. Καλή τύχη

9. GBO323

Reputations:
    I agree with alkpit..go for the German QHD. I have the QHD i7 8GB 512 X360 and I am in varying light conditions and haven't had any issues with it not being bright enough. The screen itself is very reflective, but that's on QHD and FHD so I ordered an AntiGlare film off Amazon to give it a Matte cover. Should arrive shortly. I won't link it here until I try it and KNOW it will be beneficial.

For some, 256 SSD is ample, but I do a lot of music and video and find 256 to cramp my style. :)

10. alkpit

Reputations:
    reflection doesn't bother me much, but if this film is a good implementation I could give it a try. Let us know ❗

Something strange I noticed: after 3 days my spectre started booting in 3-4 seconds❗ in the beginning it was taking some 14 seconds. Peculiar but amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.