HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notebook101lol

notebook101lol Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, yea. I realized it must have been some update that removed it. I installed batterybar and it seems to be working well. Though I guess it has to learn before it can tell me a time. Thanks

2. Arcao

Arcao Newbie

Reputations:
  3. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since it can't read info necessary to directly calculate power consumption, it has to use current battery charge over time to calculate power consumption and remaining life. So there is a significant lag before power consumption and remaining life can be shown. I am going to call HP today and complain about the BIOS.

Jim

4. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    is that possible? You should tell them about the backlight key, too :D

5. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    sorry, double post

6. madmook

madmook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh yeah interesting, the Windows battery thing will no longer show any estimates. I also updated to the F.12 BIOS.

7. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I spent some time with HP Tech Support today. I was told how to revert to a "default" BIOS. Then I was told that the BIOS could not cause the Battery Bar Pro problem. She suggested that I completely un-install Battery Bar then re-install, which I did.

Bottom line. The restore default thing DID NOT change the BIOS version. A new install of Battery Bar DID NOT fix the problem. Oh well, I have a case number and the Tech Support call is free, so tomorrow is another day.

Best Regards, Jim

8. nicholas91

nicholas91 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey alkpit, which service did you use for your order in Greece and how much did it cost in the end to order it from the US and ship it to Greece?

Did you pay any import taxes or VAT?

Thanks

9. GBO323

GBO323 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I purchased the Spectre 13t-4000 CTO from Hp.com with the i7 8GB 512SSD QHD configuration

Pros:
    + Trackpad feels/responds just like my MacBook Retina Trackpad. Well done, HP!
    + 4-1 design(Laptop/Tablet/Presentation/Tent)
    + i7/8GB makes this PC fast
    + Aluminum Unibody gives it a solid feel
    + All USB ports are 3.0 charging ports. No wondering which is which
    + Full HDMI port. No adapter needed.
    + Ample ports that are well integrated into this sized PC (3 USB/HDMI/MiniDisplay & SD Card)
    + Webcam has great high resolution when using YouCam app that comes installed
    + Tablet mode has accelerometer so I can enjoy Temple Run and driving games. Kid in me appreciates that.
    + Absence of usual HP bloatware
    + Keyboard is very responsive. Love the chicklet style.The back-lighting works well for me. Was a must have for my next computer. The F5 key being lit all the time doesn't bother me.

Cons:
    -QHD display knocks battery life to average of 7.5 hours. Hoped for more, but not a major loss to me.
    - Making Recovery media has been difficult. Doesn't work for me. Used a Windows workaround.
    - No memory expansion possible due to soldered memory. Glad I got the 8GB config.
    - Heat/Vent. After a few hours of work, it's uncomfortable to hold in tablet mode due to very warm air coming from left side vent.
    -Left side USB is too close to the power button. I've accidentally shut down the laptop when going to plug into that port.

I started out as a PC User. Moved to Mac when MS Vista gave me a final headache/frustration. 7 years later, I'm moving back to PC because I actually like Windows 8.1 and have seen the Windows 10 preview. MS is going in the right direction.

When I started seeing these convertible laptops, I was intrigued as I wanted a new PC and a new Tablet....never thought I would find them both on the same device. Looked at the Yoga 2 Pro and placed an order for one, but after reading all the negative issues with the build and WIFI, I promptly cancelled my order...and feel like that was a good choice. I came across the HP website and decided I wanted top of the line convertible and after the reviews and hands-on videos, decided on the Spectre x360 13t-4000. When it arrived, the packaging gives it a Deluxe experience. This PC is light, it's fast, and I've had no major issues other than trying to make recovery media.

One of the biggest issues I've read about is the Trackpad. Since I come from using a Mac Trackpad, the Spectre's trackpad works the same and feels the same. I like the bigger space. Sometimes the double clicks take a second pressing, but it works. The screen resolution is phenomenal and I've dialed down the brightness and the resolution a bit to save battery and to see better on it. The touch screen is very responsive for typing, Temple Run, and other gestures. Looking forward to getting an Active Stylus for note taking. Looks like from the posts here, the Dell I ordered should do it. One of the best experiences I've had with the Spectre is a recent flight I took and the ability to use it in presentation mode to watch movies. The 13.3" screen is perfect for that along with having it in laptop mode and not feeling like it's crammed on the tray table. For flights with WIFI, this will be a great workhorse or play station.

Overall, I am very pleased with how well HP designed this machine with Microsoft's input. This very well could be/should be the Window's answer to the MacBook Air....and then some. It's light, has great battery life, is dual purpose, and has plenty of Windows Store apps to enjoy the tablet experience with.

Well done, HP!

10. GBO323

GBO323 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    (Deleted duplicate post)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.