HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Andrew22

Andrew22 Newbie

Reputations:
    Is the ram user upgradeable on the Spectre x360 15"? As in, if I buy the 8 gig version can I upgrade it to 16 gigs later.

According to the HP manual for the 2017 models, while it says the ram isn't user-upgradeable, the ram isn't soldered like previous years. Any reason as to why I wouldn't be able to add in another 8 gig stick of ram, assuming it is the same specs (SODIMM, DDR4 2133...etc)?

Link to the HP service manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357610

2. AndreaM

AndreaM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can upgrade the ram. I think they write isn't user upgradeable to avoid any issue with user made procedures which could lead to damages or anything else, and consequently with on warrantiy support request.
    If there are RAM slots the ram is upgradeable.

Inviato da mTalk

Andrew22 likes this.
  3. AndreaM

Reputations:
    For anybody interested...
    I've upgraded the bios of my Spectre x360 (2015 model) version F.45
    If I'm not wrong the function of showing remaining time on battery was missing from bios.
    In the latest version it's there. You have the option to enable or disable showing the remaining time, allowing bios to communicate with the OS.
    But on Windows it's still doesn't show anything if you click with left button on the battery icon.
    Anyway, if you hover on the battery icon the OS clearly shows how much time is remaining on battery.
    IMHO the original OS shipped with the computer has the function disabled on the battery box at OS level.
    It's working because if you hover on the battery icon there's an estimate.
    I suppose installing a clean version of Windows 10 from Microsoft website can solve this problem.
    I've ordered an SSD upgrade for my Spectre (Intel 600P 1TB NVMe m.2), I'll install a clean version of Windows 10 downloading it from the website, so I will try this for sure and making and doubt going away about battery estimate.

Inviato da mTalk

4. zenzei

zenzei Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, I was looking to buy an HP Spectre x360 (or a Dell XPS 13). Anyone can tell me how it feels typing in the keyboard? Is it comfortable enough? How much the travel distance in both models 13'' and 15''?

Can anyone measure the width/height of the keys (I mean the letter keys), and the full keyboard size? I just want to compare it to an old Dell XPS M1330, that had the best keyboard I used on a 13 laptop.

Besides, is the RAM really upgradeable on the 13''? I was told it was soldered. Besides, anyone knows if the model that has the i7-7560u with intel iris plus 640 use DDR3 or DDR4?

Thanks!

5. AndreaM

Reputations:
    Those temperature are way too high for that CPU usage.
    I suspect a bad contact with between the CPU and the heatsink, but the only way to know it is opening the bottom cover and disassembly the heatsink. Pretty simple to do, but this can invalidate the warranty.
    I've did this operation to my Spectre x360 2015, replacing the original thermal paste, as I've worked in the past as IT technician. And of course I'm a PC enthusiast :D
    The original paste is not the best as usual. I've replaced it with the Arctic MX-4, which is a better performer.

Vice versa, the problem could be at software/OS level. something is causing a lot of CPU cycles, but 89 degrees are way too much for just a process.
    I've noticed you've connect an external monitor too. This cause more stress on the GPU too because it has to manage a lot of more pixel, and the heat generated because of this could be way more than using a single monitor.

Inviato da mTalk

6. AndreaM

Reputations:
    The whole Spectre line has no upgradeable RAM in 13" models, they are all soldered to keep the unit very thin.
    I've the 2015 model 13" and the keyboard is very pleasant to use, it takes all the keystrokes, very good travel, I like very much writing on this keyboard.

For the Iris Plus 640 question, If I'm not wrong, being an IGP it uses the system RAM and has no dedicated RAM, so if the unit mount DDR3 RAM it will use DDR3 (not GDDR, which is different).

Inviato da mTalk

7. zenzei

zenzei Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Another question about the Spectre, if i need to connect to hdmi, any old usb to hdmi adapter will work, or i will need the new usb-c to hdmi adapter sold by HP?

8. AndreaM

Reputations:
    1TB NVMe SSD upgrade on my Spectre
    [​IMG]

Recently I made some changes to my Spectre x360.
    I successfully installed a brand new Intel SSD 600p, 1TB size. It's an entry level NVMe (PCI-Express) SSD.
    The stock 256GB SSD started to be a bit too small for my needs.
    If anyone is interested in some advices and tips about this operation feel free to ask, I've taken many pics of the operation.

Improving thermal cooling performance
    [​IMG]

Also, and this is more interesting, I've tried, with success I've seen, to enhance Thermal dissipation in the Spectre x360 (late 2015), Skylake.
    This involved some tweaks to the main heatsink, installing various high W/mK thermal pads on the mainboard to help dissipating the heat produced by many vital components, such as the VRM for the CPU.
    The bottom plate is aluminum too, so it works as a "giant" heatsink. This, in conjuction with a cooling pad, can lead to very nice low temperatures.
    The mods are totally reversible and uninvasive.
    I've made many pics of the operation, so if there's any users interested I will post them here with a detailed description!
    Looking inside my Spectre x360 I've discovered a lot of things. For example, the stock cooling is terrible, and could lead to a premature failure on some crucial components.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  9. zenzei

zenzei Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A tutorial with the mod would be really great!

10. AndreaM

Reputations:
    Sure, I'll do a tutorial with pictures attached :)

I'm a bit busy this week, I hope to do it very soon.