HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndreaM

AndreaM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    sfhub, thanks for understanding.
    Yes mine it's the Skylake Spectre, 6th generation. I thought yours was 6th generation too.
    It's very strange the same issue keeps showing on the new iteration of the Spectre.
    Maybe it's the new driver for that GPU which has some bugs.
    I don't know where you live, if you are in US probably the wait for the repair would be shorter than here. It tooks 6 working days to ship to repair center (Italy -> Hungary) and the same to come back. Half month to be shipped... Incredible.
    Mine was sent for defective hinge, the panel replacement was a surprise, but mandatory in my opinion because probably the spare displays are shipped in combo with both the hinges. The display lid is molded together so it's a bit difficult to repair, so they prefer to supply the display whole display assembly.
    I don't know if your experience with HP support would be the same as mine, but if it's a software problem would be a waste of time (and money too) sending it to repair.
    As you wrote, probably the best thing is to return it and get a new unit.
    Before you send it back, try to update GPU driver via the device manager panel in Windows 10: look for new updated drivers from the web. It could find some new version which doesn't show on the HP website (which has very slow drivers update).
    Let me know if you find any new drivers and the issue stop showing.

Inviato da mTalk

2. purezerg

purezerg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    so far it's good on the remaining spectre. idle temps is 26C when ambient is 20c.

I have to dig up on the pics. but yeah. it's a resistor alright. the 2nd spectre however. I sent in to HP for repairs. they said they could repair it cheap. but then 1 week later they called and said they couldn't repair it. and they made a even bigger mess out of it by burning the adjacent transistors.

1st spectre, 2 resistors blew.
    2nd spectre, transistor blew

btw, mine isn't 6th gen CPU it's the 5th gen. 5500u

I thought about the power adapter earthing also. and nope. the 2nd spectre when it blew, it was using the original charger.

3. eucix

eucix Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm if it works with the 13-w023dx model? Thanks.

4. mmmhhh

mmmhhh Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone please advise on which HP Thunderbolt 3 dock is compatible with the new Spectre x360 (Kaby Lake, i5-7200U/265gb/8gb)?
    My retailer offers the docks 65W, 150W, and 200W. Which one is the right one to get? I can't find any certain info since the dock is not made specifically for the Spectre.

5. Styptic

Styptic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Purezerg,
    The failure to charge issue took down my laptop too, and a number of other users on the HP Support forums have been discussing similar failures (link to HP forum: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...-x360-13-4005dx-will-not-turn-on/td-p/5296988). My laptop had its motherboard replaced 3 times, twice while at the repair centre. One user is collecting images of the fault (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3Bu9TKwADa4dk85UjV0TW9iQms).

Yours sounds a little different though, as the parts burnt out on some other laptops were ICs, not simple resistors or transistors. Some users have reported a loose wire in the power jack causing a lost connection, perhaps this has happened in yours, created a short circuit and fried some components

6. AndreaM

AndreaM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It would be interesting to know how many Spectre x360 HP sold in these years and try to estimate how many failures have happened to that model.
    Just to check if is a sistematic failure on most of the units they sold or it's a normal casistic of failure on a huge sales amount.

Inviato da mTalk

Zeratul likes this.
  7. purezerg

purezerg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    oh yeah, it's the same spot as those pictures. the last one that got burnt has burnt 2x IC. but I realized that the IC are naturally very very hot. I slapped some thermal pad down on it too. my 5x burnt spectres, when they blew, they weren't idle when it happened. was either using davinci resolve, photoshop or after effects. so I thought it was due to overheating rather than short circuit. and when it happened. it's not like spectre was moving around. it was on the table and had not moved for a few hours.

I wonder what about those people now. how did they managed to solve it.

8. thefiverivers

thefiverivers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone get the new 15 inch Spectre? Wanted to hear some user feedback while official reviews come out. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. W123

W123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got my kaby i5/8gb/256gb spectre the other day and am supremely impressed. only issue is the touchpad rattle, which i fixed by disassembling and shimming the touchpad with a teeny bit of electrical tape.

The keyboard rocks! Best ultrabook keyboard IMO barring a thinkpad (with which you have to suffer crappy screens). Really puts my XPS13 to shame.

The build quality is great (minus the touchpad... but this seems to be a common issue for whatever reason, same with xps13) and the thing is rock solid. No creaking or plasticy feel like the last gen. Beautiful screen, though out of the box too green. Calibrating with xrite and dispcal fixed it 100%.

I wish the touchpad were a bit better and used Microsoft's drivers, as i've gotten used to them.

There's also waaay too much bloatware including mcaffee, but a clean install fixed that.

thefiverivers likes this.
  10. thefiverivers

thefiverivers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sounds great! I'm looking at the new 15 inch and the new 13 inch as well. Hoping that the new 15 inch has x4 tb3 like the 13 inch, but for me it comes down to size since both models are similarly spec'd other than dgpu and 4K for the 15 inch, but the tb3 is important too in terms of egpus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.