HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Skylake i7-6500U with FHD here.

Based upon Batterybar's statistical model I average around 8:30 hours. This is with around 30% brightness, wifi on and using MS Edge browser for battery life.

According to Powercfg;
    • My longest ever runtime was 12:10 (I can recall this - it was mostly flight mode on and watching local media).
    • My shortest ever runtime was 4:55 (This was during a particularly intense flight where I was editing photos using lightroom)
    Also, my "maximum" battery capacity has dropped from 55mWh to around 52mWh over the course of 1 year. For whatever reason, this is not showing as battery wear. I never had the "rated" design capacity of 56mWh (even fresh out of box).

Finally (and ironically), I find that this forum is an absolute battery killer - all the javascript and ads consumes a crazy amount of CPU.

@gadgetrants: Try running powercfg/batteryreport in an admin console. Then open up the battery report. You might be surprised at the degradation of your capacity over time - for whatever reason, this battery doesn't report all battery degradation as battery wear. There might be some secret algorithm in the background where that capacity is not actually lost but the battery is not charging to full capacity to save itself.

2. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @illuzn thanks for the tip. I have a batch script on my desktop that runs powercfg, which I check daily. FWIW reported capacity for back when I bought the machine was around 55,600 mWh versus now at 53,300 (not unlike what you have). So presumably a loss of 2,300 mWh or (an assumed) wear level around 4%, which I can definitely live with. A few related thoughts:

First, I tend to run my machines 24/7 unlike many people. Historically I've had excellent battery life on my laptops. However, the last (Samsung NP700Z5C) didn't fare so well, and over about 2.5 years of ownership I lost around 25% of estimated capacity.

Second and more importantly, I learned a painful (though important lesson) with the Samsung: near the end of the time I owned it, several different apps (HWMonitor in particular) were estimating very low wear, in the single digits. So I naively ran the system calibration tool, and "suddenly" the rated capacity dropped like a rock. I had thought up until then that I had something like 3% wear, but after recalibrating (which of course sharply "reduced" the true total capacity) it revised to 25%. Hence my comment posted above about keeping my head buried in the sand and avoiding the discovery that instead of 4% wear, battery calibration reveals that actual number is more like 15% or 20%. (Perhaps this is just restating what you said -- if so, forgive me!)

Oh, one final thought: after my experience with the Samsung, I started to give so-called "80% charge apps" a little more serious thought. But with the x360 I keep a close eye on how it charges, and it seems to trickle-charge (or more accurately, modulate charge) in the high 90s very reliably. That's good enough for me. Plus the fact that since I've owned it over the last year I've averaged a rock-solid 6.5 hours (estimated through powercfg of course!). So whether or not I'm losing capacity, naked eye performance has held steady.

-Matt

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  3. gnober

gnober Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Used to have the i7 qHD 512 last year's model.

I averaged 4.5-5 hours. I got this consistently as I was fond of timing it using my chrono. After about 2 months I got tired since it really became "the" reading that I always get.

This was with 2 personal emails, 2 office emails, onedrive for business and onedrive all actively syncing in the background (my email client is Outlook). I also always had IE11 open and groove for music, and for the most part MS Office products (onenote included) along with MS Project. Typical corporate usage. It bothered me for a while since all the major reviews (lisa's mobiletech review for instance) got between 8-10 hours but the longest I got was just a short of 7 hours (see below). I just chalked it up to reviewers not having a real life/job hence the far fetched (to me atleast) readings. I kid this is just me sour graping.

My longest was 6.95 hours- that was without internet and just music playback with screen time about 65% and screen brightness 50%. Although technically the longest was more than 8 hours- with the screen off and just downloading torrent and battery saver on (configured not to sleep).

Incidentally I am getting the same averages for my Surface Pro 4 (with exact usage). My surface pro 3 before averaged me 4.25 hours so that was quickest to die out of the 3 laptops I had the past 3 (or 4) years.

I have no doubt one could probably push it to 8 hours but if you have to eek out the tiniest of juice out of spectre I think it would rob you the joy of using it. 5 hours seems to be the "real life office warrior" average based on conversations from my colleagues.

As you could probably tell I no longer have the spectre x360 as it gave me so many HW issues (no webcam so the entire panel had to be replaced, the replacement panel had to orientation sensors so it had to be replaced again, then finally the motherboard died and had to be replaced). I think I only got to use it 2 months out of the 8 months I had it because it was always in the service center, and unlucky me I live in Phils where there is no parts. Kudos to HP Philippines though for the excellent customer service, and the no-fuss replacement policy. I'm a MS fan as well so I couldn't resist MS pro 4 (I also had the original Surface and surface pro).

That's not to say I hate HP Spectre x360, in fact i'm considering buying one again because you get value for your money for the specs you would be getting (if the OLED version with 512SSD ever gets to the $1.5k mark I will def be buying), and the laptop is just so gorgeous its a certified head turner, I think i 've gotten half a dozen inquiries in coffee shops what model it was (in fairness you couldn't buy x360 where I am from).

The big caveat ofcourse is the quality as the net is littered with people getting lemons. Personally I wouldn't care as long as the warranty's hassle free.

4. titanlord1

titanlord1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    what is considered high temperatures for the x360? both cpu and HD?

5. illuzn

Reputations:
    It's hard to say without also posting ambient temperatures and knowing what load it's under.

My ambient is currently 15 degrees C.

Idle (with 75mV undervolt):
    CPU - 30 degrees C
    HDD - 27 degrees C

Idle (with no undervolt):
    CPU - 33 degrees C
    HDD - 28 degrees C

100% CPU Load (Prime 95, maximum heat, 1 minute - no undervolt):
    CPU - 75 degrees C
    HDD - 30 degrees C

titanlord1 likes this.
  6. ksburgess

ksburgess Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is very, very similar to what I experience with battery life and also how I use my Spectre. I use Firefox rather than IE11, and generally have an internet radio station running rather than Groove, run Mindjet for project management - but altogether very similar. I have never seen really long battery life. I would really like to get in an 8 hour day as I sometimes have conferences/workshops... always have to make sure there's a plug available near my seat since I take notes in Onenote.

7. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone else notice inventory on HP's US site has shrunk down to just the two 15" models? 13" OLED is also apparently MIA. I wonder what's up with the Spectre x360?

-Matt

8. illuzn

Reputations:
    Actually same here in Australia. The new Spectre 13t has arrived here already but the 13" OLED and 15" both have not arrived here (even though they were announced before the 13t).

gadgetrants likes this.
  9. GBO323

GBO323 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like the BIOS files that HP offers for the Spectre X360 have been unified down to 1. I just got the F.42 BIOS for the SkyLake and that was previous a separate file/numbering for the Broadwell. I no longer see two BIOS files on the HP Support website for the CTO-4100 X360....just this one now. Certainly helps with the lack of confusion when the HP Support Assistant says there's a new BIOS but I have to know if it's the right one or not.

gadgetrants likes this.
  10. JaQoB

JaQoB Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have started to get a lot of blue screens lately. Different reasons, but it seems related to memory.

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

But I have seen others as well. I have run memtest86, but without any problems at all.
    It could be related to the latest bios upgrade (Skylake), but I don´t know for sure.

Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Edit: The latest dumps:
    Code:
    Crash Dump Analysis
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 28-Jul-16 21:53:28 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\072816-4609-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (FLTMGR+0x9E87)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8002D069E87, 0xFFFFD0002205AFD8, 0xFFFFD0002205A7F0)
    Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
    Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 28-Jul-16 21:53:28 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (FLTMGR!FltGetStreamContext+0x647)
    Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8002D069E87, 0xFFFFD0002205AFD8, 0xFFFFD0002205A7F0)
    Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
    description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 28-Jul-16 11:45:33 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\072816-4500-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x142940)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x5001, 0xFFFFF58010804000, 0x59F3, 0x59F7000B3E2)
    Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 28-Jul-16 11:25:21 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\072816-5703-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0x0)
    Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
    Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 23-Jul-16 15:11:18 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\072316-7578-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x10, 0xFF, 0x96, 0xFFFFF8006F9FFB48)
    Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Sat 23-Jul-16 14:43:58 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\072316-4984-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0xE, 0xFFFFE0005B0E5940, 0x1, 0x25DAE52BA099A2C3)
    Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
    Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.