HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm curious to try the 15" in tablet mode -- I'll have to swing by a Best Buy and check it out! If things go the way I hope, my college-bound kid will inherit my 13" x360 and my aging eyes will gain 2 more inches of precious real estate when I get a new 15"! ;) If I end up with 8 hours of battery and ~4lbs, plus a larger screen, I'll call it a fair deal.

-Matt

thefiverivers likes this.
  2. GBO323

GBO323 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HP Support Assistant posted an Intel WLAN Driver for MS Win10.... 13" Skylake i7 here

3. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    OK, so hit Best Buy last night and spent several minutes playing with the new 15" x360. A few impressions (forgive me -- do we have an owners' thread for the 15" version?):

- As I suspected, the 4lbs is a non-issue. Probably wouldn't ever use it like a true tablet (i.e., hold with one hand while touching/navigating with the other), but it's as easy to hold/manage as the 13" when it's on the lap or table surface. That's a win.

- Sadly, the extra mass of the screen means, presumably with the same hinge as ours, that it wobbles quite a bit more with touch in stand mode. Can't break physics, though I suppose they could build a stronger/stiffer hinge.

- A little disappointed that they didn't go for the full-width keyboard with numpad. The tradeoff is you get the built-in speakers on the keyboard, but yeah I'm the guy who always plugs in headphones and *never* uses the stock speakers. So no major benefit for users like me.

- Also disappointed (more than a little) that the designers fell back to the old-school HP branding -- I really prefer the more classy lettering on our beloved 13" model.

- Interestingly, the Windows hard-button we have on the side of our 13" model is lacking on the 15". I thought maybe the HP icon at the base of the display might also be a capacitive button but nope. Not a biggie, as there are lots of other ways to gain that function when the screen is tilted.

- Noticed the USB-C port. Nice. Can plug my Nexus 5x in with the stock cable!

- Also has the full-size HDMI + miniDP ports. The miniDP is awesome to see, but TBH I haven't used mine once in almost a year. *sigh* Maybe someday.

- In contrast to other nearby machines, like higher-end Dell, Toshiba, Acer, and Samsung ultrabooks, the x360 has a noticeably cooler palmrest area.

Really looking forward to seeing the price drop a few dollars in the next few months. :)

-Matt

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  4. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    thefiverivers likes this.
  5. thefiverivers

thefiverivers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah this laptop is nice. I just wish it had a thunderbolt 3 capable usb c. I was hoping that when they add the oled option they might sneak in that feature but prob wishful thinking.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    BTW did you figure out which machine you'll get?

7. thefiverivers

thefiverivers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Leaning towards the xps 15, i7/16gb/512gb/4k. On ms with student discount it's a pretty good deal. But I'm waiting it out still to see what hp does when they add the oled option.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Remind me when the OLED model is slated to launch...?

EDIT: just did a quick scan of the last 30 days of news and didn't spot anything fresher than CES January. Not calling "fake" yet (how many companies tease at CES and then repeatedly push back the release date?) but since it's May and (1) HP's new, high-end item, the Spectre laptop, is IPS and (2) there's no hint on HP's site of an upcoming OLED x360...I'll try not to hold my breath.

-Matt

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    hmscott and thefiverivers like this.
  9. person135

person135 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone else's screen flicker constantly? It's the most noticeable on a darker colored background. It also goes away when I select the maximum performance setting. I have a skylake i5 full HD unit.

Also, here's a small negatives/con list for anyone looking to buy this laptop based on the 1 week I've been using it:
    - This laptop has a very annoying scrolling issue where it doesn't remember the scrolling settings you select, and if you reverse the scrolling from what's default, it reverses it for all programs but not for anything from Microsoft (for example explorer, or the start menu).
    - There's also this screen flickering issue, which might not be limited to the Spectre x360.

gadgetrants likes this.
  10. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    We've discussed the touchpad issues here off and on. I have to confess -- even having seen it firsthand myself -- that I don't fully understand what's going on, but my impression is that it's a pervasive issue found across a wide range of laptops (and brands) running Windows 10. My other impression is that for a while, it seems the user sets things where he/she likes them, and then a sleep and/or restart takes the settings back to a default. And then...it stops. I'm guessing that it involves some mixture of people manually installing a Synaptics driver versus something comparable happening automatically through Windows Update, but either way I've seen the problem vanish after a few days on mine machine.

Can't speak to the flickering issue -- I'm on a Broadwell i7 and haven't noticed it.

Matt

Last edited: May 12, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.