HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweyn Forkbeard

Sweyn Forkbeard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does it really though? I looked at the power being consumed and core temperatures using CPUID HWMonitor, on the HP Recommended and Hi Performance modes (main difference being that on the former, cores idle at 798 MHz, and on the latter 2695 MHz.

I found that when plugged in, idle power usage and temperatures were the same (41°C). On battery, power usage was just 0.2 W higher and temperature 2 °C higher at 38 °C in High Performance mode (still lower than the low power mode when plugged in).

In short, low/high power mode barely made any difference to power usage. I encourage people to try this for themselves.

Obviously under load it will use higher power and generate more heat momentarily, but it gets the job done more quickly, so will go back to idling more quickly and overall power usage should be similar.

2. GBO323

GBO323 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Gang, I've been digging into the HP Support Forums and have put together a list of Battery Savers based on my experience and others. I hit between 9 and almost 11 hours of battery time

I have Late 2015 13" i7 Skylake 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, FHD screen.

Since I don't run on battery very often, I tweaked the HP Power plan to use the settings below. This has been ideal for long flights, long meetings, or riding in the car on long trips. Hasn't failed me yet.

1. Ensure all Windows Updates and HP Driver Updates are in place.
    2. Battery Saver Mode set to activate when battery is less than 100%
    3. Turn off "Cortana", "Bluetooth" and "Location service"
    4. Turn off "Choose how updates are delivered" under windows update
    5. Turn on "Metered connection"
    6. Ditch Chrome…Recommend Firefox or Edge browser.
    7. Removed McAfee Antivirus and kept "Windows Defender"
    8. Set "Hibernate" in sleep mode to 30 minutes
    9. Disabled unnecessary software startups via Task Manager>Startup
    10. Update "BIOS" to recent version. A reinstall may help as well.
    11. In Power Options, set "Maximum processor state on Battery to 70% under power option
    12. In Power Options>>>Display Brightness: On Battery to 70% under power option.
    13. In Power Options>>>Display Brightness: Set Battery Dimmed Display Brightness to 30%
    14. Power Options>Power Button and Lid>Lid Close Action>On Battery: Hibernate
    15. Power Option>Power Button and Lid>Power Button Action>Both on Hibernate
    16. Set Browser Home page to simple page. I set it for Gmail.com
    17. Turn off Speakers if not planning to listen to media. If so, use plug in ear buds.
    18. Unplug any external drives or devices not being used.

Arcao, hmscott and gadgetrants like this.
  3. leventebandi

leventebandi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HI folks !
    So I see varying info on actually the pen support of the current gen X360 spectre.
    Somebody please enlighten me, what is the situation: Are they supporting synaptics pen input, or jsut partially, or no at all, or just selected models ? I would like to buy a 4108na config

4. Thornox

Thornox Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello, I am using 4108na model for some time now with my Dell Active Pen (synaptics). It works great for me.

5. Ipaqman

Ipaqman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I tried a browsing test of the Spectre using BatteryInfoView which tracks the battery percentage used which seems to be the only "true" battery usage that is displayed. I tested the HP recommended setting for battery use and a modified version where the max processor was set to 50 percent.

I did note a difference of about one percent battery use per hour. So despite the logic that higher CPU gets it done faster, there appears to be more battery usage over time. Could there be background processes that use more CPU per cycle if it is available?

gizmodian likes this.
  6. leventebandi

leventebandi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks!

7. D4rk_nVidia

D4rk_nVidia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I got a problem with my Spectre X360 4001ng.

The system freezes randomly so I need to restart the system.
    Im not sure but I think everytime i was downloading something and my Notebook was connected to a second Screen through HDMI.

Often I let my Notebook on for a while and when im back, the Image and system is freezed and the fan is working. It happend to while working.

Does anyone had a problem like that before?

I send it to HP but they only reinstalled Windows.
    The drivers are up to date and a few days ago, HP installed beta Driver on my system through a remote Connection but it dosent helped.
    I think its Hardware related but the HP support is not the best....

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  8. Styptic

Styptic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A few of you have commented recently about the Dell Active Stylus, and the discussions around battery life triggered a thought... how often are people changing batteries in the stylus?

I'm lucky to get 3 weeks out of a battery, with about 3-4 hours of intermittent use a day, and its really annoying to find the AAAA batteries. Is this kind of usage consistent with others?

A colleague of mine made me very jealous when he told me that he was yet to replace the battery in his Microsoft Surface pen, coming up to a year after his purchase!

9. Honorarymanc

Honorarymanc Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all. Just signed up to say all your comments have been really helpful (and I mean really helpful!) I've been dipping in and out of this thread for a couple of weeks now while I've been agonising over whether to purchase an hp spectre 360. I'd read quite a few negative comments about HP laptops and notebooks which made me hesitant. But I've finally bitten the bullet and have just ordered the 4108na i5 model. I'm quite excited!

Because I've found this thread so useful I'd like to give people a shout out that this particular model is currently on sale at the HP store for £749 (it was £899 last week and about a month ago it was on offer for £799). Same price for Ash or Silver except the silver model number is 4118na. Specs appear the same but someone with greater tech knowledge than me would need to confirm that.

There is also a current valid 3% discount voucher on vouchercodes.co.uk for orders over £600.

So all in all if you use the code and take advantage of the sale price you can get the 4108na (ash) or the 4118na (silver) for £726.53 with free delivery.

Hope this helps someone who is maybe thinking of making a purchase.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    gadgetrants likes this.
  10. Thornox

Thornox Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thats a great deal. I am sure you will like the device. It is very high quality and versatile. Being able to write with pen is a great option for note taking. Tbh I dont care about trackpad rattling and I dont think it is an issue. Enjoy it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.