HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gizmodian

gizmodian Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Perhaps the Surface Book then?

Here's why I'm suggesting the Surface line if note-taking is important to you:
    Surface has a very thin display stack to reduce parallax, the Spectre doesn't and has more parallax effect.
    The best active stylus available for the Spectre right now (as far as I know, that would be the Dell one) still isn't very good. Buttons are kind of awkwardly placed, because it's near where you would grip the pen. No eraser button at top (Surface Pen does, which is more intuitive, and that also has useful shortcuts like press once to open OneNote and press and hold to summon Cortana). The pen tip material is not the best - it's too slippery - whereas Surface Pen's tip can be changed with tips of various hardness according to your preference.

You can get by with a Spectre for some note-taking, but in my opinion it is not the best solution for that purpose.
    However, I do think the Spectre is a fine laptop for what a traditional laptop is supposed to do. Good keyboard, decent trackpad, long battery life, good specs (also OLED and 16 GB RAM options coming later this spring; I wish the 13" had a USB-C port though). Oh, and the ash silver & copper version is probably the best looking laptop on the market right now. I have complaints about the factory color calibration of the QHD panel, but you can get the FHD panel and avoid that problem (I imagine the OLED panel will have even better colors). Another complaint I have is about the speakers - tinny sound and distortion when in laptop mode on a desk Edit:Seems the speakers were somewhat faulty - I did not have the same distortion (buzzing) on a slightly different model (Silver FHD, 13-4163nr). I have heard the 15" Spectre speakers (there are 4 of them on the 15") are better though. The last complain I have is that there seems to be too much power limit throttling during sustained heavy loads such as gaming. I've noticed that when I'm playing SCII (my Spectre has i7-6500U btw), the package TDP drops to about 12W soon after starting the game and stays that low for the duration of the game, so the performance isn't as good as it could be if it didn't power limit throttling so easily and was running at the full 15W.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    PsylentStorm likes this.
  2. drawtrade

drawtrade Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the recommendations :).
    Surface book is too expensive for the configurations i like.

But again i thought abouut it any i may have highlighted the pen function to much.
    Currently my only concern is the small size 13,x. but i may want to try it
    Do you thinnk the i7 version is worth 85€ more than the i5?

http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Update-Samsung-Serie-7-700Z3C-S01-Notebook.77437.0.html

was my previous laptop, so even the i5 should be a little bit faster?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  3. gizmodian

gizmodian Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you're talking about i7-6560U, then yes I think it's worth the upgrade since it has Intel Iris 540 (GT3e graphics, with eDRAM). If it's the i7-6500U (which has Intel HD 520 (lower tier GT2, no eDRAM), same as the i5) then you may not notice a difference between the performance between it and the i5, especially if you don't have heavy workloads. See http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6500U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6200U and http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6500U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6200U/m36930vsm36796 for some benchmarks and comparisons.

drawtrade likes this.
  4. drawtrade

drawtrade Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok thanks :). I was talking about 6500u.
    I think then i am going to order teh HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-4102ng, 850€ is a good price for that one :).

gizmodian likes this.
  5. eggybread

eggybread Newbie

Reputations:
    Has any one seen a review of the HP Spectre 15.6 4K and can supply a link. It's been available to buy for a few weeks now, and I've not seen anything. Thanks

6. drawtrade

drawtrade Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok it just arrived :D.

One Question already: anyone has a recomendation for a screen protector?
    Anto glossy with a good "glide" ability would be nice .

7. titanlord1

titanlord1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    any way to connect the pause/play buttons of the hp spectre to youtube and video players?

edit: I found a chrome extension that did it. :)
    anyone know any other extensions that complement the hp spectre?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  8. Sweyn Forkbeard

Sweyn Forkbeard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My recommendation is none at all. Seriously, don't stick plastic over your beautiful screen. It won't scratch under normal circumstances, and screen protectors look worse than scratches anyway.

Someone said that there was a Chrome extension that stopped background tabs using CPU, which could help with battery life. Or you could use Firefox which seems not to have this problem. With Firefox I'm using
    - FireGestures, allows you to go back/forward, change tabs, open links etc using touch
    - Adblock, saves CPU / battery from annoying adverts
    - Anti Aliasing Tuner, can select greyscale rather than Cleartype if using in Portrait / tent mode
    plus various others non-specific to the Spectre

hmscott and titanlord1 like this.
  9. Sweyn Forkbeard

Sweyn Forkbeard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a question: does anyone else get snaps and clicks on the speakers when using the on-screen keyboard? Anyone know why it happens or have a workaround?

10. GBO323

GBO323 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

No more video crashes...happy to report!

hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.