HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBO323

GBO323 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Skylake edition....

The Trackpad driver isn't remembering the setting to turn off reverse scrolling when restarted, so I have rolled back to Driver 18 of the Synaptic touchpad. Sad, but it works. I'd think HP would have fixed that for this released.

Also, ran into issues with the Intel HD520 driver that seems to be rampant on every platform that uses it. Was able to uninstall the current driver and use the Intel beta driver. The issue for me was the Display Driver crashing when using IE11/Edge on media-heavy websites. The beta driver seems to have corrected it. No crashes since the update.

Thirdly, this machine runs a lot cooler than my Broadwell X360. I don't mind holding it in table mode now that is doesn't feel like a hotplate.

Hope this helps...

gadgetrants likes this.
  2. Ace01

Ace01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Your experience has been very different than my own. I went through about 8 QHD i7 Broadwell x360s and 4 Skylake QHD i7s (Best Buy exchanging). I personally did not notice any difference in performance, battery life or heat between Broadwell and Skylake. I never put laptops directly on my lap, even on flights, I have my leather laptop bag between my lap and laptop, so bottom heat is not much of a concern for me. The top left corner of the deck, often became very hot on both my 5th and 6th gen CPU x360s. However, my real heat problem was under heavy load, the left palm rest would heat up (on both 5th and 6th gen CPUs). I'm wondering if always running apps like Dashlane, contributed to my experience being as it were.

Also with regards to your other post above, I am assuming brightness level had a huge impact. The Skylake Ash silver x360s I had, did not give me better battery life over the broadwell as I had hoped. However, on both models, I was able to get about 7 hours per charge (QHD display), while bluetooth on (I always use a Logitech MX bluetooth mouse), Wi-Fi connected browsing with Chrome and my brightness set to 20%, keyboard back light off and HP Recommended power setting on. I too had cortana off. Matter of fact, I said no to all of the settings options when you start the unit for the first time.

Even though I still use Chrome, you are very correct; it is a super power hungry app. I use and live by a chrome extension called OneTab. They have it on FireFox and now that Firefox has an iOS app, I am going to reconsider moving back to Fire Fox.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    GBO323 likes this.
  3. Ace01

Ace01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The same Bang & Olufsen speakers are present in all x360 models from launch. The Ash silver x360, has the logo printed on the deck, along with the copper trim as a special edition celebrating the anniversary of the Bang & Olufsen.

4. GBO323

Reputations:
    Ahh, did not know that. So the 1st edition Broadwell and Skylake have the B&O in them?

5. Ace01

Ace01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Correct! Every Spectre x360 up to the Ash Silver Skylake, all have the exact same speakers. I paid $70.00 more at the time at Best Buy, for the Ash Silver. Aside from the very awesome color, the only difference is the keyboard keys are black (which appear to be solid black rather than painted like the keys on the silver models) and of course the B&O deck logo. I think there is a thread on the hp.com x360 forum, about the speakers.

6. GBO323

Reputations:
    Ok, second round of battery after making the changes noted above and I am VERY IMPRESSED. BatteryBar clocked me in at 9:02 elapsed time. The full runtime average has spiked up to 7:34 up from 5:15. While I know this is subject to averages, the 9hr battery spread is encouraging.

To accomplish this, I am using the HP Recommended Power setting, put screen at 50%, kept the IE browser open(1 tab always, put 2 or 3 at a time during different sessions), disable the screen/hard drive/screen saver off settings so the screen would stay on. So this is 9 hours of screen on time.

Halfway through, I did install the Intel HD520 beta Display driver due to the DisplayDriver crashing that seems to be common with the HD520 drivers. The beta driver seems to have fixed it.

Very encouraged....Will keep you posted.

hmscott likes this.
  7. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is an issue with the Intel drivers. Sadly Intel refuses to acknowledge it, placing the blame solely on OEMs and Microsoft. Thankfully the latest beta Intel drivers significantly mitigates this for me (down from 3-4 times per day to 1-2 times per week). You are looking for driver build version 4326 (the ones from HP are actually 2 versions out of date).

Change: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install\DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade to 0 (DWORD 32-bit).

N.B. The Synaptic v18 drivers do not disable the trackpad in tablet mode. This can result in a load of erroneous clicks.

GBO323 and gadgetrants like this.
  8. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great discussion guys, thanks for all the good info!!!

-Matt

9. GTFO1

GTFO1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I currently have the I7 256gb Signature edition from Microsoft after returning two other Spectres. The first two Spectres had a mixture of wobbly trackpad, awful backlight bleeding, and hard to press power button (depressed into the casing). For my third Spectre, the trackpad is perfect with zero wobble, there is a tiny bit of bleeding at the bottom of the screen but its barely noticeable, and no issues with the power button.

The two problems that I did notice was the squeaky case. First, under the laptop at the top where there is text, some times there is a click sound when I press it. And the last spot is the area right of the trackpad, if I pressed it hard enough it would make a creak.

On all three Spectres, the battery life was amazing. at 50% brightness and 5-8 tabs of Chrome, it lasted 1 hour for every 10%. I did have an occasional graphics driver crash.

So far I can live with the creaking, but it would be nice if there is a fix. I read that I could try screw it in, but at the risk of destroying the screw and voiding warranty... I will wait after a year. Also, I am having an annoying problem with the laptop awaking from sleep. My windows resize, and I have no clue why. I use 125% scaling which it is below recommended. Any one know a fix for that?

10. tombraiderwes

tombraiderwes Newbie

Reputations:
    Someone else asked before but no one answered, what is the difference between the Intel HD Graphics 5500 and the new Skylake Intel Graphics 520?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.