HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace01

Ace01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    After all the x360s, and then the Yoga 900s, I returned the 3rd Yoga 900 for a Samsung ATIV Book 9 Spin. It is only sold on Samsung.com and Best Buy online and in their stores. When I got it, it was the same price as the Yoga but it is now $100.00 cheaper at $1,299.00. It's a 2-in-1 just like the Yoga and x360. Lighter than the x360 but not as light as the Yoga. All aluminum solid build much like the x360 but better quality control (2 friends have also purchased the Spin), and also no bottom vent (which I like because I can place it on a pillow, blanket, carpet, etc.). It has the same rear hinge area vent like the Yoga. Skylake i7, 3200 x 1800 touchscreen, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM and Integrated Intel HD 520 HD. I installed a 512GB SSD and am VERY happy with this device though the battery life is not a good as I'd like and I am having cravings for a larger screen (I am a former 17" laptop user of 8 years).

Here is a link to a review that I contributed to (I am not affiliated with the site). It is also a great site with a list of all current ultrabooks: http://www.ultrabookreview.com/9207-samsung-ativ-book-9-spin-review/

2. Ace01

Ace01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Never heard of Eclipse. I'll have to look into it.

3. James Nighthawk

James Nighthawk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey all

So 48 hours in

Still loving:

The keyboard
    The screen
    The backlight on keys
    The headphone amp/output

Niggles:

I have had two blue screens. Both stating VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR

These may well be linked to the following issue. I have had a large number of "display driver stopped and is recovering" pop ups. A visual stutter, then that message. It happens when browsing on Edge.

And I can force it with videos played on twitter in "Full screen" mode.

Have a link, and see if this causes a hiccup for anyone

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/659880354791182337

Literally crashed in the time it took me to copy that link!

Some googling seems to suggest it might be an issue with the 520 Intel graphics and Web video. IF it is that, I have faith it'll be patched.

I also had a weird episode where my cursor wouldn't work! It just stopped registering! I used my keyboard to initiate a restart and it came back all dandy. But still...

Lastly, the "rattle"

Now, I am light of touch with my touchpad. And I enjoy using tap instead of click. The touchpad is effectively hinged so that the bottom can click in. This I understand. However, on most other laptops, there is no "travel" between the click pad and the click itself. With this track pad, there is a very small gap. As such, anything more than a very gentle tap from the middle of the pad down makes a kinda rattle, as the pad moves down and then pops back to position. This is mostly, an annoyance, as it is the only "less than solid" part of this design.

I fancied having a look inside as there is a simple, non intrusive mod I linked to solve this. But here is another issue... I have a dud screw on the back of my laptop. I went round checking them and all but one turned no problem. One by the speaker in the bottom corner hasn't turned as looks like it is starting the chew. Very annoying! I am now concerned for the future, as and when I want to get in to change battery, or should it every need a repair...

Part of me is considering switching the laptop out, for the reasons listed above. Another part of me thinks (1) the software niggles will be patched (2) live with the rattle which is minor and (3) should I need to access the internals, a good laptop repair centre will know how to open the dodgy screw

Thoughts please people>?

Thanks
    James

4. James Nighthawk

Reputations:
    Also, quick question

Do trackpads "wear in"? Some people have mentioned on other threads that their laptop pads get less clicky over time... perhaps the usage and gravity close the "travel gap" resolving the minor rattle issue in this machine and others>>?

5. Ace01

Ace01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm guessing you are not in the U.S.? If you were, I would highly suggest returning the x360 and trying the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Spin.

Okay, well as I stated before, that between August and early November, I went through about 12 x360s. Each of them, had the rattling touch pad. Only one unit, had a touch pad that didn't seem to rattle on soft taps. I think this is just an HP design issue. One guy on the HP x360 forum, stated that after sometime of heavy typing, some of the keys started to wear (the paint). Covered under warranty, HP replaced it for him. after reading his post, I worried a bit because one of the units I had, came with an Esc key that had smudged paint.

On one unit, an Ash Silver QHD i7, I tried to open the unit up with I believe it was a #4 or #3 Torx screwdriver. I got 3 screws out and then I stopped at the 4th one because I somehow ended up stripping the screw. That really bugged me because I could not remove the panel with that one screw stuck. I ended up returning that unit over the over heating left palm rest.

I never had software issues with any of the units I had, only the wifi driver problem that so many of us had but it was taken care of in a November driver update. And yes you are correct about the display driver issue with the HD 520. I had it a few times on my Skylake x360 and then on my then Yoga 900, I had it happen many more times. On my new Spin, it only happened twice when I used the Edge browser. It never happens to me in Chrome. I do believe Intel driver updates will fix this sometime soon as it is a problem many people are having with various Skylake laptops.

You might want to start posting your questions over at the HP forum and do a search there about your specific concerns. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks/ct-p/Notebook

Good luck!

James Nighthawk likes this.
  6. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is an Integrated Development Enironment (IDE). I am a software developer.

7. sabermaniac

sabermaniac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wish Intel would release the display driver updates already. I've been having display driver crashes almost every other day since I use Edge for browsing (I've heard it takes less of a toll on battery life than Chrome and Firefox). The crash itself only lasts one second, so that's fine, but come on Intel. :/

8. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    View attachment 129876
    Intel releases drivers all the time, but they are reference drivers and are not specific for laptops. HP is your driver provider, or Windows Update.

Attached Files:

9. James Nighthawk

Reputations:
    I have just run windows update - a fairly chunky one it seems. Now I can load a twitter video in Edge stutter/crash free. So that is dandy and exactly what I was expecting to be honest

I'm not too worried about paint on keys, as I have the dark keyboard so hopefully it is less "painted" - besides, I think that was an edge case rather than a big problem (hopefully!)

I think I am going to speak with the laptop repair centre I use in town. I am simply going to ask them if they can loosen the screws in my laptop. I don't even know if I want to run the mod to the track pad now. However I do want to know that I HAVE access to it for future battery replacement and general piece of mind. I run a business so don't want to be without a laptop for any period of time if I can help it (this is why I am making sure I am 100% percent happy with this chap before I migrate my files and programmes across)

If they can "get me in" to my laptop, I think I will ignore the trackpad slight rattle/wobble and start enjoying what is otherwise exactly the laptop I wanted it to be!

Nothing is perfect, but I don't want to be "locked out" of my own machine!

10. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    James, glad to hear the video issue has resolved itself. :) Regarding the trackpad, it's hard for me to be sure either way, but I'm inclined to say mine started out pretty minor, and it's become less of an issue over time. Whether that's because the gap has reduced, or because I've acclimated to the slight sound, I'm not certain.

-Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.