HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace01

Ace01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dashlane has since been updated (automatically). It had been the worst scaling offender for me (and many others). Just google Dashlane scaling issue. I had gone through 12 x360s (starting 08/2015 thru 10/2015). Broadwell i7 QHD, then ending with several Skylake i7 QHD Ash silver. Again, out of the box (making no changes to the display settings, every x360 I had, all had scaling issues. Out of the box, even my desktop icons were too small. I am a young man with great vision but I was not happy with the sizes of text in many programs running on the x360, without making changes. On the Spin, I have made zero changes to the display settings (haven't even opened the display settings). If I still had an x360, I'd take screenshots to show an example of what I'm talking about. You have Java app issues. I don't recall having any. Let me know a site or app you have issues with and I can try it and screenshot it on my Spin.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And now a follow-up!

Battery - Interesting, I don't remember anyone else mentioning the strange drop from 100% -> 93%. Good to see I have some company! There's a chance the latest (Broadwell) firmware may have repaired or improved that issue for me. I think many users here have also reported battery life improving over the first few usage cycles.

Also, I haven't removed the battery but it *does* look very easy to do:

http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/hp-spectre-pro-x360-disassembly/

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Matt

3. Ace01

Ace01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I hope you enjoy your new device. I went thru 12 of them (exchanging from Best Buy). I started with the Broadwell QHD i7 in August, leading up to 3 Skylake Ash silver QHD i7s. YES the Ash Silver Spectre is one of the most beautiful machines out there (from the exterior that is).

The rattling mouse is something that I had on all 12 units. I got used to it but I did not like that even a soft tap would result in a clicking sound.

Some of the quality control issues that I had with the x360, drove me crazy because I can be pretty anal about the small details and things like scratches. I also had 3 units that each had 1 (or 1 small cluster) of sleeping pixels. I didn't notice this right away. After a few days with one unit, I noticed an always white pixel in the center near the bottom. On another unit I noticed an always blue pixel, dead center. I advise going to a pixel check site that will flash different colors for you to do a check, just to be sure.

Another issue I only noticed from owning a dozen units, is that on some of them, the bottom panel is loose at the rear center (right where the serial number and other text is printed). When I would close the x360 and carry it with one hand, with my palm on the lid and my fingers reaching around on top of where the printed text is; I could feel the panel pressing inward right there. I thought this was normal until I got my hands on other x360s that did not flex at all in that area.

My reason for going thru so many x360s had been mostly about wi-fi connection issues which by the last x360 I had, the problem had been resolved with HP issuing an older working driver.

I hated to let go of my beautiful Ash Silver x360 but in the end I returned the last one and tried a Yoga 900 which was a big mistake. The Yoga 900 feels MUCH lighter than the x360 and so tablet mode feels awesome on the Yoga but the Yoga is all plastic and rubber and just felt so CHEAP after spending a couple of months with the x360. Next I tried the Samsung Spin and very happy with it. Speaking about touch pads. I'm not a touch pad user as I prefer to use a Logitech MX bluetooth mouse. However, hands down, the Spin touch pad, is as close to a Mac touch pad as I have ever used on a Windows device. Try it in a Best Buy store and I have no doubt you'll agree. The x360 touch pad is okay even though I never got used to the large size. But it does not match the Spin touch pad by a huge margin.

Other things to look out for would be bubbles in the copper (or even on the chrome ones) hinges. On 4 of my x360s, there were little bubbles in the copper. I would be typing away and at some angles, I would notice that there were a few bubbles in the copper. Like I said; I'm pretty anal about the small details. Though the worst had been with the Yoga 900. 3 units, all had hair/lint, trapped under the silver paint.

I loved the x360 but it was just a bit too heavy and the final straw for me was that my left palm rest under heavy CPU load, would get too hot for me. I asked around to see if it was just my units or maybe just my sensitive hand. It seemed to be some folks had the same issue but most did not.

4. Ace01

Ace01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    About the battery. I don't know if this has been changed since I last had the Ash silver i7 QHD x360 but back in October, I was not able to change the auto critical battery shutdown from 7% down to 5% or anything lower than it's default 7%. So that meant that once my x360 would get down to 7% battery, it would automatically shutdown/hibernate. I thought this was a Windows issue but on a Yoga and my current Samsung, I was able to adjust it down to 5% where I wanted it.

5. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Not sure I follow -- did you try via the Advanced Power options? Seems like it's there for me.

AdvancedPower.jpg

-Matt

6. Ace01

Ace01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes that is exactly where I tried multiple times. So you set it to 5% and after you closed out and come back, it did not change back to 7%?

7. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    hmscott likes this.
  8. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try Eclipse.

9. hunterdt

hunterdt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wondering what laptop are you using now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Ace01

Ace01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Glad you got it figured out. as I mentioned, I had about 12 x360's Broadwell and Skylake i7s, and they all started at 7% default and wouldn't save my changes. 7% is close enough to 10% so it's almost as if you really only have 90% of a battery charge. Not really a big deal, more of a psychological thing I guess. lol!

gadgetrants likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.