HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @sabermaniac welcome to the forum and THANKS for the detailed post! Awesome, another (mostly) happy owner.

I have a favor to ask...I remember seeing a few discussions on other sites about the registry hack...would you mind posting a link to the steps you used? I'd love to bookmark that for my own use!

Regarding your question about updating drivers, I have the same concern. I ultimately opted out of installing the Support Assistant, which looked pretty cool for the day or two I used it, and instead went the manual route. The irony I suppose is that even though I phone home every month or two, there have only been a small handful of updates since I bought the machine in July. So the manual labor is pretty light!

Oh, regarding air flow: I keep HWInfo running, including CPU temp readings, and I rarely see my machine rise about 50C -- 45-48C is often the norm. That's with your typical browser/word processing use, i.e,. 20-30% CPU utilization. Of course, if I'm doing something computationally intensive it might go up to 60C but that's the exception. In other words: I'm really impressed by how cool the x360 stays, so I wouldn't worry too much about those tiny rubber feet!

-Matt

2. eth3rton

eth3rton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As soon as I sell my 2015 MBr I am placing an order for the copper trim one. HP actually negotiated on the price somewhat. Dropped it to $1399 when I spoke to them. Now, need to move this MBr.

hmscott likes this.
  3. sabermaniac

sabermaniac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's still less airflow than I would have liked, though. I almost always use my laptop on those IKEA lap rests which don't have a perfectly flat surface, and that may block airflow and cause it to run warmer than preferred, which is why the tiny rubber feet bother me. Also because those tiny feet mean the likelihood of the bottom being scratched is just that much higher. There isn't much friction on the feet, so when I put up the laptop at a small angle, it slips immediately.

I'll see whether I can find a DIY solution at a hardware store where I just glue some rubber feet to raise the notebook about a centimetre or so.

4. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There are updated drivers on HP's site that fixed the distortion and static for me.

gadgetrants likes this.
  5. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Installed the latest BIOS this morning and not having any problems with sleep today. powercfg is also estimating ~8.2 hours of battery life, though I should note I've only burned through about 2.5 hours (29%) of it so far. Still, that's a nice estimate!

-Matt

6. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    my "a" key is like it was, it hasn't gotten worse neither other keys have appeared such a problem.

7. Ace01

Ace01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    With regards to scaling, on both Broadwell and skylake i7 QHD x360's, I hated the scaling. Out of the box, apps like Dashlane and many others, all looked too small. I had to adjust settings which always ended up with trade-offs to get what I wanted. The Yoga was better out of the box with scaling. And then as I've been saying a lot all around the web; the Samsung Spin, has got scaling down right!!!! The res on the Spin, is greater than the x360 but Samsung, clearly did something VERY right. I have made no changes to the display settings and every app so far, looks perfect. Chrome, Outlook, Word, Dashlane, Itunes, OneNote, ListPro, Revo Uninstaller (this one looked bad on the x360 and Yoga 900), all look perfect. You can see for yourself in any Best Buy store or ask me to take a screen shot of any program for you.

The only downside to the Spin is battery life. I am not able to get above 6 hours surfing the web with Chrome. Though since I love this device so much, I decided to just get a RAVPower 23000mAh Power Bank @ 1.3 pounds which brings my total carrying weight still below most 15.6" laptops. With it, I can get 10 to 12 hours with ease.

8. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think you probably had your x360 configured wrong. That or dash lane received an update before you got the Spin. This is stock settings for QHD. Doesn't look small to me. I do have scaling issues, but they are with Java apps, which almost none have proper scalable UIs. No machine will fix that; their resources are just simply that small.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    gadgetrants likes this.
  9. James Nighthawk

James Nighthawk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey forum

24hours into Spectre x360 Ownership (i7, QHD, 8GB, 512, Ash Silver)

Early thoughts in no particular order. Consider this an addendum to all the serious reviews out there, I am sure anyone reading this will have checked those already....

Kinda long, but skim to sections you care about :)

This thing "looks" so good. I love the colour scheme, and the copper is not as garish as I had worried it would be. It is a magnet for finger grease though. The areas where you rest your palms tend to get a bit smeary. Nothing major and of course it wipes off.

My machine seems nippy as all hell (5 years since upgrade however, so of course it would)

Battery - FAR too early to tell. I lost 20% last night playing for about two hours. I doubt this is indication of 10hours total, but hell I will take it if it is. Also, I let the machine sleep last night for 8 hours. Zero battery drop. Although, I do have the thing where it goes from 100% to 93% and then slides down digit at a time. ..

75% brightness is perfect for me. No worries here about QHD being under bright. Although I don't have it near daylight much. 100% is not iPad blazingly bright, but it is bright for my blue eyes! It is far more reflective than my old machine, but such is touch screen tech right now...

The fan only kicked in once for about 30seconds, and was a cute "whistle" sound rather than the jets of my outgoing machine. Oddly, the coil whine (I think that is what it is) annoyed me more late last night. Note - I have ridiculously good hearing and this was in a silent room.

I had a blue screen 30minutes in!! It was a VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR. This morning I then had a pop up saying my "video driver stopped working but has recovered". I hope this is just teething troubles...

The soundcard. I am super happy! Few people talk about this stuff. Yes, the speakers are naff. All tiny speakers on iPads, phones, laptops, are naff due to their size. But these are clear at least on here. The stunning thing for me is the headphone out. This thing is powerful! It powers my Shure IEM to a good loudness at about 4% volume! My over the head Audio Technica Airs at 30%. Those things need solid amping to get good volume. Here, bam, right on board. No need for my USB headphone amp. Sweet surprise here! Perhaps THIS is what the B&O partnership is about

Goodbye McAffe. Hello 0.5GB or idle RAM (windows fdefender even turned itself back on by default)

I idle at around 4% CPU and 2GB or RAM before opening anything. Seems about right.... Glad I have 8GB not 4 onboard! Do NOT get 4GB RAM if you want to multitask!

I am super happy with the keyboard. Would've loved the up/down as separate keys, but even the newest macs are squishing these inwards to compensate for space.

Niggles:

Right, the three finger swipe up to show desktop is an AWESOME feature of windows 10. One of the things I wanted most from the Mac world. It is here. But, twice it has stopped working. It seems to be linked with the machine sleeping and/or going into and then back from tablet mode.... Oddly, instead of three fingers no longer doing anything, it changes function! Three finger tap keeps working for cortana. But, three finger swipe-up stops working, and three finger left/right then becomes back page/forward page in a browser instead of switch app. Odd! Something is reassigning the function, which I think is linked to synaptics.

The mouse and trackpad options are mostly in a separate window to the inbuilt windows 10 section in settings, so choosing what these things do is a mystery to me.

Oddly, I haven't been able to make this happen again today...I then downloaded the new drivers and 3MB "support" file through HP Support assistant. Perhaps this has/will fix this for good.

Last niggle. The trackpad is slightly rattly, yes.

This is an odd one, as I may not have noticed if no one had told me. It is minor and seems to be linked with the fact that the clickable area at the bottom has to float a little to move. But, then, it does on macs too and they are smooth.

I went back to PCworld and yup, my machine matched the display unit. And plenty of people say it is there

This video shows a fairly simple mod/fix I may try if it annoys me going forward:

Yes, I know, a brand new machine shouldn't need edits. But I have a perfect screen (no dud pixels), a perfect keyboard etc. I think a few screws and a piece of electrical tape is simple enough to remove an OCD issue. No machine is perfect, I guess. We shall see

Question: Once in the machine, it the battery super easy to remove? 3 screws and a port, I think from what I have read?

See... I said I would stick around. Hope this long posts helps people. Happy to answer questions too, as I get more accustomed to the machine

James

hmscott and gadgetrants like this.
  10. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    James, this is wonderful news. I can respond/comment on several things you mentioned, but I'm headed to work so a longer post later. In the meantime my apologies for putting the whammy on you and alerting you to the trackpad. Next time I'll remember to STHU and mind my own business!

One other quick note, regarding the "loss" of the three-finger swipe, I've implemented a batch command like the one described here which kills the Synaptics app -- when it restarts (sometimes you have to do it by hand) things return to the way you'd like:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...s-missing-after-Sleep-Windows-10/td-p/2144785

-Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.