HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Forgive me, maybe there was a misunderstanding. Since you mentioned a concern about throttling -- and I'd noticed my machine had switched power profiles -- my suggestion was to take a look at yours, unlikely as it is.

I'm afraid you've caught me at a pretty crazy time. I'll have to pass the Prime95 offer to another forum member to report on!

-Matt

2. sabermaniac

sabermaniac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just bought the Ash Silver (or copper, it's the dark one) edition HP Spectre x360 for myself and I love everything about it.

Except for the trackpad. I use Firefox, and scrolling with it is not smooth - it's rather laggy. That, and sometimes clicks aren't registered when I click down on the trackpad in the middle. Two-finger tap to right-click is slow and tap-to-click is hit/miss. There's also the issue of the cursor snapping back to the original place when I make small movements on the trackpad - I can even reproduce this issue consistently.

With how there's bloatware installed, I'm thinking of reinstalling Windows 10 to remove the bloatware (and hopefully the godawful Synaptics drivers as well).

So the big question here is: Will the Microsoft drivers (meaning no OEM trackpad drivers) work fine with the Spectre? Or am I doomed to have to deal with it? For those with the Microsoft Signature Edition of this laptop, does the trackpad work completely fine without the Synaptics drivers?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    eth3rton likes this.
  3. eth3rton

eth3rton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I messed around with one the other day at Best Buy and it seems a bit sluggish. The salesman stated it was from the Best Buy Promo software. I blame it on the bloatware.

4. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Same experience here. Night and day difference after I unboxed mine and ran it. Actually OOB wasn't bad, but obviously wiping everything and installing Win 10 improved things. I'd say the display units are really unloved.

-Matt

5. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think it happens in other networks, too. I mean networks that used to work fine for me. My wifi used to be good, maybe some update wasn't proper? It is outraging, my cheap lumia phone was excellent wifi conection everywhere and I struggle with my ultrabook ( mainly when waking the laptop up from sleep)

Also, one question: do you have the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option on?

6. eth3rton

eth3rton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you do a fresh install of the OS? If so, hows everything running? No driver issues? Particularly, trackpad issues?

7. GBO323

GBO323 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've discovered that the desktop HP Support app isn't showing the latest updates compared to the HP Web Driver tool. I happened upon an Audio Driver update from 11/19 via the web tool that the desktop tool hasn't notified me of. Hope this helps.

8. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I noticed there is a SanDisk SSD update with HP driver downloads for my model.

Someone apparently forget to tell HP that the 4005DX has a Samsung PM851 drive in it.

gadgetrants likes this.
  9. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Yup, full wipe and clean install. I have a few previous posts that work through the trackpad driver issues, but tl;dr is the latest version supplied by HP works great!

-Matt

eth3rton likes this.
  10. James Nighthawk

James Nighthawk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey all

New here. I am sat with my browser pointed at a Spectre x360 (512GB, Ash, 8GB Ram, QHD, i& 6th gen skylake) on the HP UK website. Right on the cusp of ordering!

I have read through (well, read then "scanned" some of the chunkier parts!) this entire thread as love to read owners impressions. It seems that while their are niggles, many have been sorted thru software updates.

A few quick questions for those in-the-know:

1. The ash colour looks gorgeous. What do we think about long term hardiness? With anodised aluminium, it should be pretty scratch proof, and I have no intention of denting it! The black "Rubbing off" would drive me mad against such prettiness!
    2. Likewise with the keys... I should think a black keyboard would be hardier than the painted silver one that one chap here has had paint smearing with ..? (I am typing this on my 5 year old HP pavillion with black keys that still look perfect)
    3. Model numbers are confusing!! As of today, the model I want is £1099 on HP website -
      HP Spectre 13-4109na x360. However, identical spec on BHS (of all places) is £1025 - only with a different model number? - HP Spectre x360 13-4101na. Whats the deal? Different models for straight-from-HP? I don't want to get one full of bloatware, but then £75 is a warranty for 3 years... I might try calling HP order line and ask why/ask for a price match or a thrown in 3 year warranty. Part of me would rather order direct, considering that from a bricks-and-mortor store isn't an option for this model in the UK.
    Thanks to all for their helpful posts on here .
    If you guys help me pull the trigger I will naturally post my early feelings and stick around for questions afterwards (I assume this forum has email notification?!)

James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.