HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I cannot vouch for Lenovo, but HP does not touch scaling whatsoever on the x360. That is all dealt with by Windows and video drivers. The Spin is also a different resolution than the x360 in any configuration.

abepaniagua likes this.
  2. GBO323

GBO323 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After going through multiple attempts at resolving the Broadwell speaker pop/crackling issue... The wife wanted to upgrade her Dell brick to a Spectre so I ordered 2 customized Skylake X360. This time I didn't opt for the QHD in order to gain some battery time and not have a hard time with adjusting resolutions all the time. My current 360 is going up on Craigslist.

3. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a very peculiar and irritating Wi-Fi problem:

My router is in the living-room and I spend most of my time in my bedroom, the distance between the router and my spectre being ~7m.One wall between. When my spectre goes to sleep and I open it again, my wifi connection doesn't work. I try to connect but nothing happens. Now, the strange thing is that if I get up and go into the living-room, it connects just instantly. Also, I have a smartphone that even in the bedroom gets connected fine all the time.

My Wi-Fi connection isn't great, has many disconnections now and then, but I have contacted with the provider and made some updates ets. Also, the smartphone (a Lumia) doesn't have the same issue, and the fact that it is like the wall doesn't allow the signal to pass through (?) seems just crazy to me.

I would really love some help here!

4. madmook

madmook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That could be any number of things. Wifi router firmware up to date? Intel AC 7265 wifi adapter driver up to date? Are you connecting to 2.4ghz or 5ghz, and does the problem persist regardless of which band you're using? Is your phone that works fine connecting to the same SSID as your laptop (in case you have a dual band or tri band wifi router)? If it re-connects once you get closer, sounds like a weak 5ghz signal? Perhaps the wifi channel you're on is running into interference with a neighbor who's using the same channel? Then of course there's the various settings within your wifi router that could be causing issues.

There was one driver release earlier this year for the Intel AC 7265 which gave me connectivity problems with my Netgear wifi router, but the current version 18.21 has been fine.

5. adrynalyne

Reputations:
    That happened to me. It was a bad wifi card (I also had card malfunctions showing up in event viewer). The card would not connect after sleeping, unless I went and sat next to my router. It would also randomly drop connections and stop seeing wifi networks. I swapped out machines at Best Buy and have never had a problem since.

6. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you for your responses. I will check some of these things and report later.

I think I have to mention though that only in my home network I deal with such problems, at least till one month ago. I will try some other networks again to see if it persists.

7. adrynalyne

Reputations:
    Mine happened on all networks.
    You might just need to switch channels on your router.

8. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi All,

Is anybody experiencing severe power limit throttling on this laptop?

Use anything that saturates the CPU for around 10 minutes and you should notice that the CPU throttles back below the "stock" 2.5Ghz speed. Obviously an artificial benchmark will do this but I have also noticed it when encoding video or batch post processing photos - so it's not limited to artificial things you would do with the device. What I find is that turbo boost disables itself within 1-2 minutes (this is normal and expected behaviour) then after that the device stays stable until the power limit throttling kicks in and significantly reduces the performance of the device by about 20%. It is obvious when this occurs because the fan slows down significantly and the case temperature decreases significantly.

It doesn't seem to be connected with thermal throttling at all. Completely covering the exhaust ports (a worst case scenario) nets the same result - obviously with the laptop because very hot in the meanwhile.

Would appreciate it if someone else would run this and see if they are experiencing the same.

I know the device isn't meant to be a gaming laptop but it severely affects gaming performance because after 10 minutes frame rates absolutely plummet (and the GPU clock is running at 650Mhz as opposed to its 800 base clock and 1050 turbo clock).

You can use HWInfo to check the reported CPU/ graphics speeds.

9. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @illuzn I noticed something the other day that might be distantly related to your question. Anyway, the tl;dr is: maybe check your advanced power settings and make sure something hasn't changed there.

In my case, about a week a go I ventured onto Samsung's support site and noticed they'd posted a version of the Magician software that works with their M.2 drives so naturally I installed it. And I now enjoy 5000+ MB/s transfer rates on my drive.

What I didn't realize, however, is that during the install Samsung had surreptitiously updated the power profile, to something much closer to high performance. I keep several HWInfo icons in my system tray, and in particular, couldn't understand why my machine was constantly at 100% CPU speed (clock speed, not utilization). Long story short, I switched back to "Balanced", my clock is now back to sitting around 798MHz, and my battery life has bounced from 4 hours back up to the usual 6.5 hours. :)

EDIT: or wait, my bad...sort of. Just noticed I stupidly let Samsung do a full OS optimization, including "Power Options". Guess I got what I deserved!

-Matt

10. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, mine is a case of underperformance not overperformance...

What happens to your TDP numbers if you run Prime95 for 10 minutes? (I think you are on Haswell but it would be nice to know whether this is a HP thing).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.