HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not sure that they did add that... powercfg/a shows S0 low power idle is not supported (i.e. connected standby as disabled).

2. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Matt

I think i had Synaptics from the beginning. How can i test the other driver you say is better? I have some issues with my trackpad, mainly many times i have to press it 2-3 times to get the click, and i don't know if it is me and my finger or the device. Thank you!

3. alkpit

alkpit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do i find the exact model? In my settings i can only see a generic name, without the 4000 part

EDIT: ok, found it!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  4. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    He probably has something hooked to the usb ports drawing power.

5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @alkpit, I hope my post wasn't confusing. What I meant is that I'd downloaded Synaptics generic touchpad driver from their website (19.0.9.1.C) but it caused all kind of trouble, including the multi-tap issue you described (OMG selecting an area on a spreadsheet was IMPOSSIBLE). So I uninstalled the app and completely cleared out the generic driver, and replaced it with the one distributed by HP (19.0.12.98) and everything is working again.

Well, with one minor caveat (that I've mentioned before): it seems that right after installing the HP-supplied driver, 3-finger gestures default to horizontal=switch-app and vertical=minimize-all/maximize. But after sleep, the vertical gesture disappears and the horizontal ones switch to page back/forward. I've seen identical complaints for other machines (e.g., Dell and Lenovo) and the popular view is that it's the result of using a Synaptics touchpad, which is partially in conflict with the default driver that 10 attempts to install on top of the HP version. In any case there's no fix in sight for now. My hack, when I want the default Windows 3-finger gestures is to kill and then restart SynTPEnh.exe, and then for that session, I have the gestures working again.

-Matt

6. madmook

madmook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That sounds like Intel's Display Power Saving Technology (basically dynamic contrast), which is easily disabled in the Intel display control panel. It's in the power section, battery power tab options.

7. 11Luke

11Luke Newbie

Reputations:
    anyone know if the spectre x360 will work with a Samsung 950 pro m.2 drive??

or is the Samsung 951 the fastest it will be compatible with?

8. GBO323

GBO323 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A few updates on my Broadwell X360 i7/8GB/512...

-On the speaker pop issues, I've run out of things to try. It's been sent back to HP and the speakers were replace. OS reset to 8.1 and upgraded to Win10. Drivers were updated, etc. Still getting that tick/pop when doing things involving sound or not.

-HOWEVER on the track pad issue, I did download the latest HP Synaptics driver and along with the tip below(Thanks to DP-K on HP Support Forums), find it keeps the settings after I restart. Oh, and the trackpad works too.

Hold down the Windows key and press R
    Into the Run box type regedit and hit enter
    In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install
    Inside, look for a key named DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade
    If this is present, right click the key and select Modify
    Set the Value data field to 0 ( Zero ) and then click Ok.
    Close the Registry Editor.
    Make the Synaptics setting changes you require in the usual way and save them, then check if they're now retained after a reboot.

-I did try the new F2 BIOS and didn't see any difference but went back to the correct BIOS just because that's me.

gadgetrants likes this.
  9. NovaTornado

NovaTornado Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone here program/type a lot have an opinion on the keyboard? Reviews I read ranged from average to bad for it. Usually something about the keys being mushy instead of crisp to type on.

Deciding between the Spectre and the XPS 13. I like the various flip modes of the Spectre, but using this mainly as a portable coding device so keyboard has priority.

10. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was also debating between the XPS 13 and Spectre x360; the dealbreaker for me was the XPS 13 keyboard. I only spent about 15-20 minutes on each laptop, testing out the keyboard so my experience was very limited, but it was an easy decision for me.

If you have the chance, check out your local Best Buy or MS Store (preferrably). While I liked the Spectre better, you might have different preferences.

NovaTornado likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.