HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try deactivating two finger zoom on the trackpad (and all other 2 finger gestures for that matter). There is a slight delay in scrolling because the trackpad needs to decide whether you are trying to scroll, zoom or rotate.

gadgetrants likes this.
  2. miscolobo

miscolobo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does anyone know when the X360 Ash Silver limited edition color will be released to Canadians?

3. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @gadgetrants: Any further feedback regarding power usage?

I have disabled all power saving options now (back to HP recommended settings - but with a 1 minute background picture and theme change switched on)... and using the device in a similar way to how I have always been using it I'm getting around 9 hours of battery life (email, onedrive sync in background, skype in background and 3-4 MS Edge tabs open, 50% backlight). According to powercfg I'm averaging around 5.5mW which gives me around 10 hours of battery life (well 9 if you exclude the 7% reserve battery).

Feels good to not have to cripple my device for power saving. I also feel that the device runs cooler on my lap.

4. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Been a few days now, and powercfg tells me that since updating BIOS I'm averaging an additional ~30 minutes per full charge, up to 7 hours from the previous 6.5. Still a far cry from the 9-10 you're seeing (yes I am officially jealous) but I have to admit that besides Chrome I do occasionally run a power hungry app for a bit (e.g., data analysis). Backlight is 30% in my case -- boy I'd love to see 50%.

And yeah now that you mention, lap temps *do* seem cooler!

-Matt

5. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi all,

So I have had my Spectre for about a week now. I must admit I do like a lot of it. I have got a Windows 10 desktop I use for gaming and also I have a Windows Phone Lumia 930. I do love an ecosystem.

For the last year I have been using my partners Macbook Pro 15" as my laptop as I was waiting for the right laptop. This I thought was the right one. I must admit to a point it is fine. I do use it only as a laptop though. I have no interest in it folding back or whatever.

Spec: i5 6200u, 8gb, 256gb, 1080p, Ask Silver and cooper

Pro's
    Screen Even at 100% I can still use it perfectly fine, so no scaling issues
    Longest Battery life I have had from a windows machine.
    B&O speakers is a nice touch however its just marketing
    HP seem to role out updates quickly
    Google chrome and youtube doesn't kill the battery like on a Mac.

Con's
    Keyboard is just weird some how mushy. feels awkward, keys seem to move they are not straight.
    Enter button short and has the hash key above it. I keep pressing hash.
    Trackpad: to big, skips around, gestures just suck, two finger tap barely works and click doesn't work at all. WHY THE HELL CAN NO ONE MATCH THE MAC TRACKPAD! I have to move my hand off the laptop to use the mouse to edit some typing.
    Battery not quite a mac.
    Connected standy by drinks the battery. Mac doesn't do this. Also who needs connected standy by? I want to use the battery not Windows when I close the lid.
    Scrolling is jerky
    Back light bleed around edge of screen
    I am using the Windows Logo as my background the blue defualt one. I swear I can see the backlight flickering? Like its getting brighter then dimmer really quickly?

I am currently studying the CompTIA A as I want to change my career as my current one is going to kill me with stress soon if I don't leave and I love tech. Having a windows machine therefore made sense. However now I am thinking I could get away with a rMBP and an iPhone 6S plus, Just keep my Windows 10 gaming PC. Boot camp the rMBP.

Now I am not saying a mac is better my god they annoy me sometimes. My Misses has the 5k, iPad, MBP, iPhone its stupid. The thing Apple does well though is the experience when you use it, flawless hardware working perfectly with the software. I can just use it, everything you expect something to do, like 3 finger gesture works first time every time.

I feel like by using my partners macbook pro I have tainted my ability to love a Windows Laptop?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  6. parkgt

parkgt Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow that is too bad. My Skylake i7 1080 has none of the issues you mention.

abepaniagua likes this.
  7. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah my Broadwell has none of these issues. I wasn't aware that HP added connected standby to the x360. It isn't present in the Broadwell model.

8. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It absolutely is for Broadwell too. I doubt there is much difference in the the mainboard for both generations, if any.

9. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh thats annoying why does that have to happen to my one. I am actually typing this on the MBP now. The keyboard is just a million leagues in terms of better.

I really would like the Spectre though, Maybe I might try the surface something or other

10. hisien

hisien Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently formatted my Spectre and lost the "HP Recommended" power profile. Is there anyway to get that back? Maybe someone could send me a copy of theirs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.