HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazat

lazat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've updated to the latest bios and it works on broadwell :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2. parkgt

parkgt Newbie

Reputations:
    A new Bios update is out for the Skylake i7 dated 11/1. My machine was blocked from loading the one dated 10/26.

3. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    EDIT: I just reread @jnichols2's post and perhaps I overreacted a little -- if so, forgive my sermon (but hey 'RANTS is my middle name!). I think the intention to warn Broadwell owners was good, but the execution not so much.

Wow, what an utterly odd conversation. I'm a bit...puzzled at the stark claim that the latest BIOS update is not intended for Broadwell. I think I was the first to say I'd installed F.2C and would report back with an update on battery life, and well, here is an early report: for the first time in recent memory I got over 7 hours unplugged yesterday. But what is (for me anyway) all the more remarkable is that 2.5 of those 7 hours were spent watching "Batman Begins" on netflix -- which I'd assume is not all that kind on the battery. So early indications are positive.

Anyway, with all due respect, if there isn't a Skylake x360 owner's thread maybe the Skylake owners would like to start one. Y'all are welcome to hang out here and have as much fun with us as you like, but please don't tell us what we can or can't install. :rolleyes: Personally I'd like to see us all stay together and continue to share insights and experience -- I'm sure many/most/all of us have comingled on forums where multiple generations of owners mixed without undue confusion!

-Matt

lazat likes this.
  4. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you are getting an error along the lines of "This BIOS Update is blocked on your computer".. RTFM...

I was stumped by this a long time and it appears that HP (rightly so I guess) has blocked the update if you are on battery power (doesn't matter if you are on 100% or 7% battery). I guess it's to protect us from our own stupidity in case the battery dies halfway through.

Update sounds promising... do you run any customised power settings etc Matt/Gadgetrants? For me, I know that disabling turbo boost, using a passive cooling policy and enabling power saving settings for the intel graphics resulted in around 1 hour more battery life (I regularly get 8 hours of battery life with 5-6 tabs of web browsing, email, etc.). These all come at a cost to performance though.

5. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    RTFM. LOL I should make *that* my middle name. ;)

@illuzn, just noticed you're relatively new here, so WELCOME! Glad to have some more company. I think your on-battery settings and mine are nearly identical (no turbo, passive cooling, and lowered intel settings). I just took a stroll through the F.2C BIOS settings and didn't spot any other new options, so if there is in fact improved battery life I guess it somewhere under the hood. I'll try to remember to report back near the end of the week if my positive first impression sustains itself.

OH, here is an interesting thought: something else I did late last week...I went into the advanced power settings and turned off hybrid sleep. With it enabled, I noticed that I would close the lid and find that my machine would sleep (unplugged) the entire day, assuming that a "pulsing power button light" means "sleeping." And I also disabled the newish rapid-start feature. I obviously enjoy the instant-on of lifting the lid and "BAM!" but I traded that for about 4-5 seconds of wake-up time, and that may be helping with battery life as well.

-Matt

6. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone have issues installing the new BIOS update? I downloaded it via HP assistant, and when my Spectre reboots, I get the option to install the update, postpone, or cancel (along with a 60 second timer at which the laptop automatically boots up, I think). When I try clicking on 'install', the timer just resets and nothing happens. However, when I click on postpone or cancel, the laptop responds.

Anyone else have this issue?

7. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you tried plugging in AC Power? The update will not install without AC power.

@gadgetrants: Interesting Hybrid Sleep is off by default in my HP Recommended settings (as I believe it is for all laptops).

What is this fast wake you speak of? Do you mean your computer is hibernating rather than sleeping? To be honest, I find that my computer consumes bugger all power in sleep - it could probably be in that state for a week from a full charge without a problem. Between that and the fact that I use and charge the laptop daily, the convenience of an instant wakeup isn't worth disabling this for me.

gadgetrants likes this.
  8. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Didn't know that. It worked, thanks!!!

9. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Here is a link for Windows 8, though I understand it works the same in Win 10:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...ws-8-hybrid-shutdown-fast-boot-feature-works/

So it's more correctly "fast boot" though I prefer to avoid that term as it's not a true (i.e., "cold") boot. From the user's perspective, it looks like a full reboot but in fact a portion of the session (kernel) is written to disk on shutdown and then reloaded during the fast boot -- this speeds up both the shutdown and the subsequent reboot. The link above explains how to enable the option. However, if we're discussing sleep/hibernation then it might be a moot point!

-Matt

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  10. vane505

vane505 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got the laptop and it's quite stunning. I'm wondering though if anyone find it laggy to scroll in Chrome with the clickpad and if so did you solve it somehow? The scrolling in Edge is ok (not flawless), but Chrome is stuttering a lot (have tried deactivating hardware acceleration).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.