HP Spectre x360

Discussion in 'HP' started by stuckat1, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecaedus

ecaedus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    since you have the HP pen could you share your experience in OneNote? is the notetaking process easy? can you print letters without losing strokes or do you have to do cursive? this is the deciding factor for me for this laptop, i'm so used to the wacom pen tech in my galaxy note 10.1, i'm hesitant to move to another tech, especially from synaptics...

2. Dernfara

Dernfara Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm using the Dell stylus and it works well in OneNote - no problems printing letters.

3. Dayton

Dayton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The HP Active Pen works just fine in OneNote, but I do have to adapt to the button(s) being so accessible. I am use to the Bamboo Stylus where you have to make a concentrated effort to hit the button on the pen. Currently with the HP Active I keep hitting erase as I'm writing.

4. vnwhite

vnwhite Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've had my i7 QHD 512.GB for a day now and am quite happy with the laptop overall. I bought a Dell active pen A03 (the silver one) and it seems to work fine. I did some quick benchmarks, then loaded Windows 10.

Factory Windows 8.1 benchmarks (idle values are utilizing HP recommended powerplan and keyboard backlight off)
    • Battery capacity = 54.990 Wh
    • QHD display is 100% sRGB and 79% AdobeRGB
    • AsSSD 512GB SSD speeds = 513MB/s read, 402MB/s write
    • Idle temp = 32.4 degC
    • Idle discharge rates: 3.125W, 3.776W, 5.33W (min, med and high brightness)
    • Keyboard backlight incurs about 1.8W when enabled
    • Full load temp = 84 degC (before end of turbo boost)
    • Full load discharge rate: 24.191W
    So, idle battery life calculates around 17.5hrs (14.5hrs medium brightness). Main takeaway here is that the QHD is not a huge battery hog, where as enabling the keyboard backlighting will cost you significantly.

I reformatted the drive to free up the 15GB recovery partition and loaded Windows 10 preview. The first version, 9926, had issues with the orientation sensor, but I've since updated to 10041, which has fixed the issue. Other than that, Windows 10 works great on the Spectre, providing a much better user experience than Windows 8.1 IMHO.

nightscrawler, GBO323, airmt and 3 others like this.
  5. KamaL

KamaL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you please add more details about the advantages in the user experience after upgrading to Windows 10, especially in terms of touch gestures, and most of all, if the upscaling handling in QHD displays is better than previous versions ??

6. Mr X

Mr X Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is anyone prepared to pop the bottom off and look inside?

I am looking at replacing my TP Yoga 12. One of the things I will want to do it upgrade the RAM to 16GB, and the HD to 1 TB.

So has anyone opened one up? I have been told by HP that there are 2 user-accessible RAM sockets available but I haven't seen anything like that in photos. I would also like to know what type of SSD it has.

7. Dayton

Dayton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Saw in mobiletechreview's x360 and XPS13 comparison that the latest Dell Active Stylus was better than the HP Active, so just placed an order.

GBO323 likes this.
  8. tgwallbank

tgwallbank Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Great to hear that with regards to Windows 10!
    Did you note any problems with drivers on the new Windows 10 build? Did you have to install any drivers manually?

9. aparker71

aparker71 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'd be curious to know as well, I saw the spec sheet on HP's website that mentioned the 2 spots as well and found it to be interesting. I was hoping that iFixit would do a teardown.

10. svenhassel

svenhassel Newbie

Reputations:
    Great, please post your opinion afterwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.