HP Spectre x360 Owner's Thread (2017)

Discussion in 'HP' started by muzicman82, Mar 8, 2017.

1. 1k9

1k9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Moved

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  2. bruder

bruder Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought the previous version of the x360 @ Best Buy. It's very nice. I returned it because Intel announced the 8th gen mobile processor and I knew it would be updated. Best Buy was great to deal with. Now I am ready to buy the 8th gen version. I expect that HP or Best Buy would be fine. I have no idea of the quality of HP support. The other option is the Dell XPS which also looks very nice. I expect either one would be fine, depends on whether or not you want the 360 hinge.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Why buy an Intel x360 when HP released the Ryzen+Vega x360 model?? :)
    HP - 2-in-1 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - HP finish in dark ash silver
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-2-i...sh-in-dark-ash-silver/6124570.p?skuId=6124570
    Ryzen Mobile's First Laptop Is Out!
    Published on Nov 13, 2017
    Ryzen Mobile's first laptop is officially on sale. It's the HP Envy X360 2-in-1.

HP ENVY x360 Convertible Laptop - 15z touch
    AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U Quad-Core (2 GHz, up to 3.6 GHz, 6 MB cache) + AMD Radeon™ Vega Graphics
    Ships on: 11/27/2017
    $ 734.99 => Discounted to $ 599.99 <== Discount is over :(
    http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-convertible-laptop-15z-touch-1za07av-1
    • Windows 10 Home 64
    • AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U Quad-Core (2 GHz, up to 3.6 GHz, 6 MB cache) + AMD Radeon™ Vega Graphics
    • 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB)
    • 15.6" diagonal FHD UWVA micro-edge WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (1920 x 1080)
    • 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA
    • Office Software Trial
    • Security Software Trial
    • 3-cell, 55.8 Wh Lithium-ion prismatic Battery
    • No DVD or CD Drive
    • Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad
    • HP Wide Vision FHD IR Camera with Dual array digital microphone (Touchscreen)
    • Intel® 802.11ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo"
    Product specifications

Operating system
    Windows 10 Home 64
    Windows 10 Pro 64

Processor and graphics
    AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U Quad-Core (2 GHz, up to 3.6 GHz, 6 MB cache) + AMD Radeon™ Vega Graphics

Display
    15.6" diagonal FHD UWVA micro-edge WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (1920 x 1080)

Memory
    8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB)
    12 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB)
    16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

Hard drive
    1 TB 7200 rpm SATA
    256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
    1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 128 GB M.2 SSD
    360 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
    1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 256 GB M.2 SSD
    512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
    1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

Office software
    Office Software Trial
    $20 off Microsoft® Office 365 Personal 1-year
    $20 off Microsoft® Office 365 Home 1-year
    $20 off Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2016
    $50 off Microsoft® Office Home and Business 2016
    $70 off Microsoft® Office Professional 2016

McAfee LiveSafe(TM) Security Software
    Security Software Trial
    $40 off McAfee LiveSafe 12 months
    $89.99 off McAfee LiveSafe 24 months
    $169.98 off McAfee LiveSafe™ 36 months

Theft protection
    Computrace LoJack for Laptops, One Year
    Computrace LoJack for Laptops, Two Years
    Computrace LoJack for Laptops, Four Years

Primary battery
    3-cell, 55.8 Wh Lithium-ion prismatic Battery

Keyboard
    Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad

Personalization
    HP Wide Vision FHD IR Camera with Dual array digital microphone (Touchscreen)

Wireless technology
    Intel® 802.11ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo

Battery life
    Up to 9 hours [3]

Video Playback Battery Life
    Up to 7 hours and 15 minutes [3]

Battery Recharge Time
    Supports battery fast charge: approximately 90% in 90 minutes [5]

Audio
    Dual speakers

Pointing device
    Touchpad with multi-touch gesture support

Expansion slots
    1 multi-format SD media card reader

External I/O Ports
    1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge); 1 HDMI v2.0a; 1 headphone/microphone combo

Power supply
    65 W AC power adapter

Energy efficiency
    ENERGY STAR® certified; EPEAT® Silver registered

Dimensions (W X D X H)
    14.16 x 9.8 x 0.77 in

Weight
    4.75 lb

Warranty
    1 year limited hardware warranty (information at www.hp.com/support); 90 day phone support (from date of purchase); complimentary chat support within warranty period (at www.hp.com/go/contacthp)

Software included
    McAfee LiveSafe™ 30-day trial offer (Internet access required. First 30 days included. Subscription required for live updates afterwards.)
    Ryzen Mobile Now On Sale: HP’s ENVY X360
    by Ian Cutress on November 14, 2017 12:20 PM EST
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/12038/ryzen-mobile-now-on-sale-hps-envy-x360

"I am told we have a unit incoming for review. Watch this space."

AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-epyc-vega-polaris-gpus.799348/#post-10632178
    amd mailer1.JPG
    I'd check the HP store and Bestbuy again on Black Friday to see if the Pre-Black Friday prices (about $200 less) come back...
    amd 2700u benches 2.JPG
    amd 2700u benches 3.JPG
    AMD 2700 GPU performance vs other in class iGPU and dgpu.jpg
    AMD 2700 vs previous generation AMD APU.jpg
    Our first Ryzen 5 2500U benchmarks are in and Intel has every reason to worry
    As fast as a Core i5-8250U but with more than double the graphics performance, the Ryzen 5 2500U is launching with just the momentum AMD needs in the notebook space.
    by Allen Ngo, 2017/11/25
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Our-f...Intel-has-every-reason-to-worry.266618.0.html

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  4. hiddensanctum

hiddensanctum Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Recently got the 8th Gen Spectre x360 13 inch and couldn't be happier. I got a custom build model with the Privacy screen. The privacy screen is interesting, turns white instead of black when at an angle. Seems pretty effective but I'm not personally a fan because of the way it affects the screen when its on. Seems to hurt my eyes when I use it, but it might just be something my eyes needs to get used to not sure at this point.

I'm also probably one of the few people that is connecting this thing to an eGPU. Spectre x360 + Razer Core + Witcher 3 = Awesome.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Tamale

Tamale Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi everyone - I'm interested in the "HP Envy x360 Convertible" but it's not clear to me if the latest on HPs site, which is just called the "15t" is the same as this model from Best Buy which actually caught my eye with manufacturer model number "15M-BP111DX"

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-env...-drive-natural-silver/6081901.p?skuId=6081901

Anyone know anything about these or have one? I'm mainly curious if I'll be able to add a PCIe NVMe drive to it.

Thanks!

6. Wildride

Wildride Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I picked up this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-spe...ish-in-natural-silver/6080202.p?skuId=6080202

because it has all the functionality I need. I already have an Alienware 17 inch notebook for gaming so I don't need a beast of a video card in it. Bestbuy was AMAZING, the sales personnel had this model on display but the one that went on Sale BF was SLIGHTLY different as it was the 12DX not the 14DX, there sales guys failed to notice the difference and honestly so did I. The Privacy filter is something I REALLY wanted so when I got the first unit and hit F1 to activate the screen and it popped up with Windows Help screen I was............upset. I went back to best buy and after having a discussion with the Manager and the sales personnel, they agreed to exchange at no cost to me for the correct unit. I was stunned at there great customer service.

As for the laptop so far it is Amazing, battery life is approaching 2 working days without being plugged in, Not gaming or constant rendering but general office work the battery is strong. They should have differentiated these new spectres with the older ones because it seems they were indeed listening and have corrected a bunch of the issues with older models. My old Dell 5470 I was using for work is a Tank compared to this it is so light, it will make travelling much easier. I picked up the Worry free Accidental damage warranty from HP not the Geek Squad warranty as there so overpriced, HP had them on sale for $191 3 years and if I don't use it (supposedly) you get your money back. I will review it when I have some more hands on experience.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Congratulations on the new laptop :)

So what was the final price?

At list price of $1449, it's almost 2x the cost of the faster Ryzen 5 + Vega GPU, $749:

HP - Envy x360 2-in-1 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - HP Finish In Dark Ash Silver
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-env...sh-in-dark-ash-silver/6124570.p?skuId=6124570

And it's got a 2" larger screen :)

8. Tamale

Tamale Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Still really curious if anyone knows about this mysterious "15M-BP111DX" HP model from best buy.

I helped my dad pick it out and I should be able to look into it more soon, but in the meantime I'm curious if anyone here knows more about these "HP Envy x360" models supposedly with 8th gen i5s and DDR3. My main concern is whether or not it will have pcie / nvme ssd support...

9. fjc2

fjc2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very unhappy with mine and with HP. I bought the 13" highest-end Spectre x360 back in June, and last week it just died on me. Wouldn't boot up. Charging light would light up, but that's it - power button did nothing, and a hard-reset didn't help. Got on HP customer support chat and they quickly offered to repair it under warranty. Sent me a box and packing material and a pre-paid label. They received it on the day before Thanksgiving.

Today I get into chat with them to get an update and I'm told that although the box they received it in showed no damage, the laptop inside has significant damage. I shipped them a laptop without a scratch on it, and the picture they sent me was of one that had a ton of damage - bottom busting open, USB port squashed, etc. They of course are claiming I sent them a physically damaged laptop, whereas I can only assume their tech dropped it or ran it over with his chair or something. "Sorry, nothing we can do. We're a reputable company and would never damage your laptop."

10. Wildride

Wildride Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Black Friday Pricing out the door was $899 plus going through a deal site saved me another 2.5% off of that. I'm absolutely loving this machine so far.

I already have a gaming beast, I needed light, very portable and fast with privacy and this fits the bill nicely. 16GB of memory and a 512 SSD.

Surprisingly the sound this thing produces is astonishing for such a small package. So happy I went with the 1920x1080 and not the 4k screen, it is gorgeous.

The only thing so far that I dont like or find annoying is the micro-SD card slot, it allows the card to stick out just the tiniest bit, that I wish was flush with the case.

Funnily enough amazon had 13.3 bags popup for sale from PureBox for $0.90 cents a piece they were almost sold out but I managed to snag 2 of them before they were gone. 2 bags for under $2 with Prime shipping! There really nice padded bags which is surprising because I figured for that price they would be crap.

That's a good looking machine you have listed if you are in the market for a 15.6 inch notebook. I'm sticking with the 13.3 which doesn't have the AMD option yet.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    hmscott likes this.