HP Spectre x360 Owner's Thread (2017)

Discussion in 'HP' started by muzicman82, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Chiefkeef

Chiefkeef Newbie

Reputations:
    lmao, just wow. that feel when you get a new job and the onboarding documentation says you get a $1700 laptop allowance (which is what sparked my research into the spectre in the first place), you spend days going back in forth between larger models, smaller models, and weighing pros and cons then finally decide on the spectre.

you show up to orientation all excited to tell hr about the laptop you want, then they tell you the laptop allowance bit is old an everyone gets macbook pros now" just lmao.

Downloading obscure code from a random blog whose source link doesn't point to the manufacture site or github... that ALSO allows reg edit access (and god knows what else) to my OS? lulz, that's a no for me Peter.

2. amazingdave5

amazingdave5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thought I'd post an update on my experience with this laptop. After a lot of complaining online HP contacted me and agreed to replace my laptop and cross-ship the replacement so that I would not be without a laptop. I was happy with this resolution and put the tech support frustration behind me. I was also willing to accept that the previous unit was probably a dud. The new unit is overall better, but still has lots of issues.

1) It gets very hot. I can't believe this is normal for such a nice laptop, but this is the second one... As I'm typing this, I have nothing but a couple chrome tabs open. I set my video card preference to use integrated graphics, and I have uninstalled as many background processes as possible. My processor usage is at 4% and I have it capped at 90% as was suggested here. I can't understand why it's uncomfortably hot!

2) An issue that this unit has which the old one didn't is that the screen glitches and flickers. It's most often the bottom half and it's fairly rare, but once in a while it just glitches and flashes. It reminds me of watching a movie on a VCR.

3) random windows that are open behind the one I am working in pop in front. I wonder if maybe it's a problem in the touch screen where it's registering a click??

Anyway, this thing is a dud. It seems unlikely that I got two duds in a row, so I think it's just that HPs top of the line, premium laptop is a piece of junk.

I don't know if I have it in me to suffer through hours more of tech support. I doubt they would give me a refund anyway, and there is no reason to think a new unit wouldn't be riddled with issues. So I guess I've just lost almost $2000. I'm a grad student, so that's not insignificant. What I will do is share my experience far and wide on the internet in hopes that no one else who does their research buys this piece of junk.

3. muzicman82

muzicman82 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which SKU are you using? I do not have any of these issues on mine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Sunderlizard

Sunderlizard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi I am interested in getting this laptop. For light gaming, how does it handle path of exile? What settings and FPS are you guys getting? Thanks.

5. muzicman82

muzicman82 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have no idea how well it would do for gaming considering it doesn't have a dedicated GPU. However, it does have Thunderbolt 3, so you could get a PCIe box with a full size video card. My only hesitation for gaming would be the heat output... but I don't think you'd be gaming with the thing on your lap.

6. oblio98

oblio98 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey all. I was just in Sam's and saw an x360 [2DS98UA#ABA] that I thought would be perfect for my wife so I bought it. It's pretty nice, but I am so spoiled by having SSD drives in all of my laptops this thing seems to be a bit slow. So....

I went and Googled how to open this thing to get at the HD and it appears the x360 I bought has a different bottom panel than all of the online help and YouTube videos. Even going to the HP site and putting in the product number and following the links to how to open the case, it shows a different back.

All of the x360 info I can find shows a bottom with 4 round "pads" and screws all around the bottom. This particular laptop has long pads that shoot off in 45 degree angles to the sides, and the only visible screws are along one side of the bottom.

So, anyone else have one like this? Or know how to open this thing. I don't want to trash it, and yes, I've opened many a laptop in my days, both the kind that easily open from the back and those that have to have the keyboard removed from the top to get to the HD.

I just know that if I try and explore I will totally mess this thing up looks-wise, and I don't want to do that.

Any help would be appreciated!

7. amazingdave5

Reputations:
    The new one is 15tbl0000. The old one was the Best Buy model. I dont know the model number, though. I did get a case manager on the phone today who agreed to give me a full refund, but in store credit, since I wasn't interested in trying a 3rd x360. Although, I don't know what other model I'll get. I suppose there could be a chance they refresh something with an 8th-gen processor, though. I might also go for something from their elitebook or zbook line. I'd assume (hope) that those are more stable. Any suggestions?

8. wellhung

wellhung Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I just recived this laptop couple days ago. It was fine the first couple days.

Today though, the screen is very DIMM on the right side of the screen, it's like there's no backlight.

I see few spot light looking light sources on the dimm side(right) meaning possibly that most of the backlight are off, whereas on the left side it's all uniformly lit (you don't see spotlight looking light sources).

BUT THEN I was on my to reset my laptop (to return), and that needed me to connect to a power source, the next thing I saw(the reset was completed) the whole display is lit properly. So I'm not sure if its's the power or the reset. What's going on? Is this software?

I know I should just return it because this is not normal. Or is this some windows update? Is it possibly for software to partially lit a laptop's backlight?

I'm just wondering if this is widespread issue with HP, this mode, or ultrabooks (my first).

Thanks!

9. amazingdave5

Reputations:
    Return it while you can! I've had 2 and both have had tons of issues. To be fair, your display issue sounds different from mine, but I did read about lots of people having display issues and that the latest bios and driver updates helped.

10. wellhung

wellhung Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it physically possible for software to turn off portions of the back light though? I don't see a practical use for such a function. And going to that train of thought the only explanation is faulty hardware.

Also connecting to a power source probably 'jumped started' those 'stalled' back light portions, this is what I'm most concerned about.

Did you buy your laptops from HP directly? It's said that they have 30 days no question ask return policy. Will I be charged with some sort of restocking fee since I already opened and used the laptop? Like I said I got this few days ago. Normally return policies for most stores here are 15 days for electronics, but 30 days is rather generous and I wonder if there are any caveats.

gbenedetto likes this.