HP Spectre x360 Owner's Thread (2017)

Discussion in 'HP' started by muzicman82, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Mitchrapp

Mitchrapp Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nothing worse than waking up to a new email that says it's going to be delayed shipment for at least another week.. Because of high demand. Ugh.

2. muzicman82

muzicman82 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For those of you that don't like how hot the system gets, I suggest editing power settings and setting the max CPU to a lower value for battery or even plugged-in schemes. This should keep the system from going Turbo and reduce heat. Even 99% will help. You can have another profile for Max Performance for times when you need it. This system is blazing fast, and I doubt you'll notice a little slower at say 80% for day to day use.

3. muzicman82

Reputations:
    Has anyone purchased a screen protector film?

4. Nizzy

Nizzy Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been thinking of purchasing this computer for university. From what I've seen so far, many people are reporting motherboard issues after 1 and a half years. Does anyone know if this was an issue on the 2015/16 models and has been fixed for the 2017 model?

5. muzicman82

Reputations:
    Well, there's no way to know on the 2017 models until about March 2018.

6. Nizzy

Nizzy Newbie

Reputations:
    I guess what I meant was if anyone is aware of any hardware changes which could potentially fix this issue

7. muzicman82

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure all of the hardware changed since it's a newer generation chipset and all.

8. Chiefkeef

Chiefkeef Newbie

Reputations:
    Whats also worth mentioning is that this is what current Dell xps 13 i7 owners would LOVE to have. Apparently they have an internal coil whine that is just plain sad.

With setting the cpu state to a max of 80 to 99%, how drastic would you say that affects the heat of the laptop? You also said you're frequently on a charger, have you noticed different temps unplugged with the adjusted cpu settings?

Don't mean to be a pest with the questions but this ultimately is deciding if i can get my dream specs via a loaded Spectre, or going to a barebones Elitebook x360 to circumvent the heat issue. Thanks

9. muzicman82

Reputations:
    I actually don't even notice the heat anymore. I probably noticed it more while doing tons of updates and installing apps after the clean install.. but day-to-day usage, lap or not... I hardly notice. Then again, everyone's tolerance is different. I'd still prefer the Spectre over the EliteBook.

If you buy this same SKU from Best Buy, you do have a decent return period, more so if you are an Elite Rewards Member.

10. MaskedCarrot

MaskedCarrot Newbie

Reputations: