HP Spectre x360 Owner's Thread (2017)

Discussion in 'HP' started by muzicman82, Mar 8, 2017.

1. dmh0284

dmh0284 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The lines between the pixels

2. mb2k

mb2k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Bought the 4k 15" model and I'm really liking it so far. Coming from an XPS 18 so a bit of a screen size downgrade but I'm getting used to it.

I've only run into one problem so I'm wondering if anyone else is having the problem. When I connect via miracast(screen share) my internet speed drops from 150Mbs steady to barely 5Mbs. I know it's not the network or TV because my XPS with an older intel wifi card and my Moto both connect and retain the 150Mbs.

Is anyone able to test this on the Spectre to see if it happens to you as well.

BTW, thanks for starting the thread.

3. stephen_liu

stephen_liu Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone upgraded their ram to 32GB (for the 15" model)?

The only reference to this that I can find is this 3rd party seller on Amazon that looks to be selling an upgraded unit with 32GB memory (2x16 DDR4) and 2TB NVMe SSD (Samsung 960 Pro):
    https://www.amazon.com/Spectre-x360-TouchScreen-i7-7500U-Thunderbolt/dp/B06XYB5HXK

I'm not sure of the authenticity of this. However, the HP support manual does specify that both SODIMM slots are upgradeable from what I recall.

4. gillbee

gillbee Newbie

Reputations:
    Just picked up a new spectre 13 and looking to do a clean windows 10 install. It's been a while since I've setup a new laptop so looking for some idiot guidance or known gotchas for this model

So far I'm thinking
    Create the HP recovery media
    Grab all the drivers
    Install clean - any partitions I need to preserve to ensure I have the option to HP recovery to factory ?
    Sort out the drivers
    Re-install any useful HP software - any options on what (if anything) is beneficial?

Any advise from anyone who's clean installed?

5. amazingdave5

amazingdave5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've had the 15 inch x360 from best buy for about 2.5 weeks. I'm sort of wishing I'd returned it.

I've been having a problem where it's not charging. I plug it in, it charges for a bit, then stops. If I unplug the charger from the laptop and plug it back in, it starts again. HP is sending a new adapter, hope that fixes it.

Aside from that, trackpad kind of sucks. The mouse moves very slow, and 2 finger scrolling is inconsistent and sometimes highlights text instead. My workaround was to turn off the tap and drag feature, but still, it doesn't always scroll when you mean to. Also, since the trackpad is so wide (a feature I thought I'd like), it's kind of hard to right click and I frequently get a left click when I mean to right click.

It also gets surprisingly hot and loud under not-so-heavy load. Like, a few chrome tabs and youtube. Under similar load, I have had my chrome windows turn black and/or freeze. This could be memory leak issues in chrome, though.

The sound cut out once, too. It came back after restarting. Sound quality is otherwise solidly fine. It could be louder, though.

Windows Hello is a little slow. This is the only laptop I've had with it, but I find it faster to enter my pin. I also find myself moving my head around a lot trying to get it to see me. It works better at a desk than on the couch, though.

I think most, if not all of my issues could be improved with driver/bios updates and I'm hoping the new AC adapter will solve the charging problems.

There are a few positives, too:

I like the clicky feel of the keyboard, though, and palm rejection has been perfect. I would have expected that to be a problem given the super wide trackpad.

The screen is nice. It's super bright and I actually prefer to keep the brightness down a little, both for my eyes and because things look overexposed on full brightness. No problems with glare or seeing the screen when it's bright outside, though.

It's also pretty fast. Both the processor and the SSD.

6. a_bjuhr

a_bjuhr Newbie

Reputations:

Hi there, I have the exact same model. I've only had it for a couple of days and can confirm that it gets very hot, very fast. If you keep it on a desk you won't notice but in your lap or on a soft surface it will start to boil and the fans will go crazy. Using HWmonitor the units hits almost 90 degrees celcius at it's worst which is beyond crazy.

I still ponder if I will return it or not but leaning towards that I will...

7. amazingdave5

Reputations:
    I suggest you return it while you can. I so wish I could have returned mine, my issues have only gotten worse over time. I suspect that the excessive heat has caused hardware issues. Even with nothing else open, youtube videos freeze and stutter and the mouse stalls and skips when I move it around the screen. Opening a new tab causes short freezes, and often my windows just turn black or green for a few seconds and then everything refreshes. When I watch the processor usage, it frequently spikes to 100%. Sound is now occasionally garbled and wifi drops sometimes 10 times in a matter of minutes. I'm not that knowledgeable about hardware, but it seems to be getting worse.

I have gone through the web chat based tech support two times. The first took almost 2 hours updating bios, drivers, etc, and then just suggested I do a system restore. I asked to talk with a supervisor, he told me someone from escalations would be in touch within 24-48 hours. A week later when no one called, I went back to the webchat, back through similar process, asked again to talk with someone from escalations, it's a week later and still no call. They did send me a package to send the laptop in for repairs, but it would take something like 10 days. Given that it's a new "luxury" laptop, I'd rather just return or exchange it. I can't really be without a laptop. Hopefully they will call.

The lesson, though... I was contemplating returning it in the first 30 days when I could have just taken it back to Best Buy. At that point I assumed there would be driver updates and things would get better, but it's only getting worse. I so wish I had just returned it.

8. amazingdave5

Reputations:
    I just re-read my earlier post. To be fair, the issue where my laptop wasn't charging was resolved. HP sent a new charger and it works fine.

9. Gadget goblin

Gadget goblin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I'm looking at getting me a spectre, is it a fast machine?

10. Mitchrapp

Mitchrapp Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I bought the 15t 12 days ago , still waiting for it to ship. Coming from a Surface Pro 4. Bought the i7 16GB can't wait.