HP Spectre x360 Owner's Thread (2017)

Discussion in 'HP' started by muzicman82, Mar 8, 2017.

1. muzicman82

muzicman82 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It hasn't bothered me yet, but I can't tell if this is part of the digitizer chipset or in Windows.

There's a tweak for some delay/latency settings here, but I've done it and don't notice it any different. The "Ignore touch input when I'm using my pen" setting doesn't seem to do much.

2. Toastyy

Toastyy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I can confirm however that this did nothing for the lag. In the support forum a HP rep said that it is by-design and there is no way to adjust it. Super disappointing. Will need to return this one and cross my fingers for a good Surface refresh!

3. muzicman82

Reputations:
    I thought about the Surface but I actually use the keyboard more than tablet modes, so I wanted a better keyboard. The Surface Book is REALLY nice, but lacks Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Gen2, couldn't wrap my head around the odd 3:2 aspect, and you can't change the SSD (to my knowledge). Your x360 build is the same as mine except 8GB RAM and 1080p screen. I couldn't pass up the 4k screen.

I settled for this as specification wise, its as close as I've found to perfect for me.

4. cdd543

cdd543 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the 4k version from best buy and am torn on the laptop. My biggest gripe is the touchpad and how inconsistent it is depending on the app you are using. Sometimes in Edge it'll basically slow scrolling so much that the scroll bar barely moves. Then at some point it will be fine again. I haven't tested in chrome yet, but it's felt odd in system scrolling at times as well. I've played around with the synaptics settings, but don't think that's the issue. Haven't found any synaptic driver update.

Screen wobble also is somewhat annoying.
    Fans were on constantly while setting it up, but they've been on very little after that. I did update the bios. I have noticed it getting warm while sitting in my lap, but overall not a big deal. Too early to tell on battery, but looks like 6-7 hours so far with screen brightness turned down.

Things I like:
    Size and design
    Speed and stability seem good so far
    Screen
    Speakers are pretty good

5. muzicman82

Reputations:
    I haven't noticed any issues with the touchpad. I also don't use Edge. I believe I used the drivers on HP's site. You could try the reference driver from Synaptics.com, but make sure you completely uninstall the current ones first. Screen wobble isn't an issue here either.. or I accept it's a very lightweight system and it's going to happen a little.

I think I may back down the max CPU state even more for battery and see how battery life is. Sometimes when it calculates time it says 8-9 hours. Honestly I am mostly plugged in and am happy with 3-4 hours.

6. gbenedetto

gbenedetto Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Same problem here.. Just bought the 15.6 inch version and so far I found weird the TouchPad... Is really slow on moving the pointer even at maximum speed in the setting.. Compare to my HP 840g specially...
    I try to update drivers but looks like there is only one driver so far which is the one pre-installed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. xoreaxeax

xoreaxeax Newbie

Reputations:
    My 13-ac023dx has been having this mysterious and infuriating issue recently of completely crashing upon being woke from sleep (i.e. turning the laptop on after keeping it closed for a period of time). My power settings are left as is following a complete factory reset with hibernate and hybrid sleep disabled. I currently have upgraded my factory copy of Windows to Enterprise edition but assume this has nothing to do with the fact; a clean install also encounters the same issue.

Specifically, everything seems to be fine when closing the laptop/pressing the button to sleep. When opening it back up later on however, Windows has completely restarted and an "unexpected shutdown" (ID 6008) event is logged. Here's a sample of the log from when I first open the laptop. Note: nothing appears in the log around the time of closing the laptop.

Information 3/27/2017 4:08:51 PM Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs) 98 None
    Information 3/27/2017 4:08:55 PM EventLog 6013 None
    Information 3/27/2017 4:08:55 PM EventLog 6005 None
    Information 3/27/2017 4:08:55 PM EventLog 6009 None
    Error 3/27/2017 4:08:55 PM EventLog 6008 None
    Information 3/27/2017 4:08:51 PM FilterManager 6 None
    Information 3/27/2017 4:08:50 PM Kernel-Boot 30 (21)
    Information 3/27/2017 4:08:50 PM Kernel-Boot 32 None
    Information 3/27/2017 4:08:50 PM Kernel-Boot 18 None
    Information 3/27/2017 4:08:50 PM Kernel-Boot 25 (32)
    Information 3/27/2017 4:08:50 PM Kernel-Boot 27 (33)
    Information 3/27/2017 4:08:50 PM Kernel-Boot 20 (31)
    Information 3/27/2017 4:08:50 PM Kernel-Boot 153 None
    Information 3/27/2017 4:08:50 PM Kernel-General 12 (1)​

Event ID 20 has the message "The last shutdown's success status was false. The last boot's success status was true." and ID 6008 has "The previous system shutdown at 3:34:07 PM on ‎3/‎27/‎2017 was unexpected.".

Anyone else having a similar problem? I'm inclining to believe that there's some strange hardware issue that occurs while I'm transporting the laptop in my backpack, and at the moment I cannot install a Linux distro to confirm this is not some strange Windows configuration issue.

8. muzicman82

Reputations:
    I can't address this specific problem, but as I said I clean installed Windows 10 as soon as I got mine and could not be happier. Absolutely no issues. I know that's not a good fix for a new PC, but I am guessing it spared me a lot of headaches.

9. dmh0284

dmh0284 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone with the FHD version think the screen door effect is bothersome? For me it is much more noticeable than my previous 13.3" ultrabooks.

10. muzicman82

Reputations:
    I don't have the FHD screen, but do you mean where you can see lines between pixels or more of "rainbow" effects? Is that a consequence of viewing angle? I would think 13.3" is pretty small for 1080p.

The UHD screen is gorgeous.