HP Spectre x360 Owner's Thread (2017)

Discussion in 'HP' started by muzicman82, Mar 8, 2017.

1. franky_402

franky_402 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Figured i would add another post now that i have the laptop.

Does anyone have any issues with apps not staying uninstalled or certain settings not sticking through a reboot.

I just got my 15" yesterday and going through the setup i have tried uninstalling all the retarded games that come preinstalled. I right click them in the start menu and select uninstall, it asks to confirm and then it will disappear. Minecraft, disney, candy saga, and like 3 others.

They do not show up in remove programs and thats the only way i can see to uninstall them is through the start menu.

I have also tried to remove the hp support assistant bubble by the status bar.

Now heres the problem, everything looks great until i reboot. upon reboot everything is back in the menu and the support bubble is down by the status bar again. the only thing i havent tried is booting into safe mode to remove but that should not be a requirement to get rid of that crap.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Im so close to wiping out that copy of windows and starting fresh from a clean microsoft image. The only thing that worries me about that is when i did the same thing with my old hp dv7t quad core the laptop did not run as smooth as the factory image, even though i installed all hp drivers.

Also the laptop does seem somewhat sluggish to me, my desktop i built last year has 16gb ram, 256 ssd, and an 15-6600k and seems to run circles around it, i know the spectre uses a U processor which wont be as fast as the desktop counterpart. I figured 2 generations later and a quad core should at least be somewhat comparable. Im also not expecting it to run heavy tasks at the same speed but simple things like opening file explorer, or chrome should be just as fast imho. Opening simple apps that should not struggle seem to take a second or two to load and ive already had chrome not responding a few times as well. the desktop is blistering fast, i feel like apps open before im even done double clicking, not so much with the new spectre.

Oh well maybe my expectations are a little too high but i will keep playing with it, and probably reimage the thing to a debloated factory m$ image and try to rip out cortana and all the tracking crap.

Sorry for the rant but 1600$ later i feel like it should be a little snappier and let me permanently uninstall junk that shouldnt be there in the first place!!

2. -Louie-

-Louie- Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, my 8th gen Spectre x360 came with the rechargeable pen.

I'm having a bit of difficulty with my touchpad at the moment and i'm trying to work out whether it's a hardware issue, or whether I accidentally removed the most recent drivers when i used the Windows 10 'Fresh Start' program to run a clean install.

Could someone please check their driver version for me?

My current driver version is 19.3.31.31 (found by going to Control Panel -> Mouse -> Hardware -> Properties -> Driver).

Thanks!

3. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is the same version mine has.

Jim

4. boltor

boltor Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi - very interested in owner feedback on the Spectre x360 Sure View functionality. Any opinions valued!

(eg: does the functionality decrease the screen brightness / clarity when OFF?)

5. slind

slind Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone else gotten the HDR for Netflix to work on the internal display? I uninstalled the stock Intel GPU driver, updated to the most recent official one but have no option to see any HDR content. I am on the best Netflix plan and have tried via App and on the EDGE browser.

Orionz talked about an HDR option in the display settings. Can anyone point me as to where it`s located? Haven`t found it so far. I am on the 15`` 4k late 2017 model.

Edit: I found where it should be located, but have no option to enable it. Seems a bit strange to me.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  6. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They are def both TB3, tested with my eGPU. Plus they are both full fledged x4 ports.

hmscott likes this.
  7. ha1o2surfer

Reputations:
    So I got my HP x360 13 inch from best buy and it must be a last years 8th gen model since mine came with a AAAA pen. And the bios is f.02 versus the newer f.15.

I replaced the thermal paste with mx4. (By the way, this is a real pain in the ass IMO, there are so many little things to break in there) The results are amazing. I undervolted around -420mV and the highest temps on battery are 65c and when on AC, they are 85-88c even under full 30 watt load when playing games. It's actually quite amazing. I do quite a bit with my x360. At my desk I used a dock thats attached to a 1080p 144hz display and it doesn't skip a beat. I came from an Alienware 13R3 and I literally can't tell the difference in everything but gaming tasks. It's actually faster then the 7700hq (I score 9500 in passmark since swapping out the thermal paste)

It idles in the .5 watt area and this keeps the temps sub 40c almost all the time. Even when watching a 4k 60fps youtube video, the temps barely hit above 55 even when docked on my display at work. it should idle near 35-40c (depending on ambient temps) with no problem. If yours is warm doing basic tasks, something is wrong. If anybody wants any videos of temps doing some tasks let me know!

Let me know if you have any questions, I can do a better job if asked a single question lol rather than my mind throwing out all this data at you.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Atma and hmscott like this.
  8. ha1o2surfer

Reputations:
    Can anyone else confirm this for me? I feel like the mouse cursor lags a lot (like the screen is set to 40hz) but when I click and drag, the mouse becomes smooth again. Sometimes it's smooth after a restart sometimes it's laggy.

Like as I type this, it become smooth again. So maybe it's after typing the cursor becomes smooth. I need to test this but let me know if anybody else has this same chain of events.

For reference I have an 8th gen 13 x360 with the precision drivers enabled

EDIT: Figured it out. If you have precision drivers enabled AND the synaptics utility installed at the same time, they can fight back and fourth. If you want "MacBook" like scrolling, disable everything in the synaptics screen and let the "touchpad" settings area be in control of two finger scrolling. Now go into regedit and find these keys "Inertia" and "Friction" and they are located here

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Wisp > Touch

Inertia = 0
    Friction = 0

This makes scrolling feel perfect.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Atma likes this.
  9. ha1o2surfer

Reputations:
    More Info: The x360 supports PD of 14.5v as well on the USB C charging ports which means the 12 inch MacBook power brick works.

It supports 5 volt USB charging but only when the laptop is off. Gains about 1% every 10 minutes on a iPhone 5w charger.

Atma likes this.
  10. ha1o2surfer

Reputations:
    The mouse lag has to do with iGPU power saving features. The trackpad feels amazing when it's on an external monitor and that really confused me at first. I could seriously not use a mouse if I always had an external monitor attached, that's how well the trackpad performs.. Well come to find out, intel tells the display to refresh when it wants too called "panel self refresh" and this drops the internal frame rate but not in windows so the panel still appears in windows to be refreshing properly. This isn't normally a bad thing but it's sure as well is annoying to feel that lag in the mouse when the panel deems not enough pixels are changing to warrant the self refresh rate to jump back up to 60.

Go into the Intel HD control panel and disable ALL power saving features. I don't notice any change in battery life and my trackpad feels really good now!