HP Spectre x360 Owner's Thread (2017)

Discussion in 'HP' started by muzicman82, Mar 8, 2017.

1. muzicman82

muzicman82 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I didn't see much for an Owner's Thread for this system, so figured I'd start one. I just purchased the 2017 13" model, which seems to have been very recently released. I've had my eye on something new since my Yoga 2 Pro was stolen back in December.

My specific model is 13-AC033DX / Z4Z22UA.
    Intel Core i7-7500U
    16 GB LPDDR3-1600 SDRAM
    Intel HD Graphics 620
    512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (SAMSUNG MZVLW512HMJP-000H1)
    13.3" UHD UWVA BrightView WLED

Maintenance and Service Guide

My first order of business when I got this thing was clean installing Windows 10 x64. I was impressed with the lack of bloatware on the machine compared to other HP's I've commissioned for others... but I always clean install new systems.

My second order of business was purchasing a spare USB-C charger, and the cheapest I could find that is 45W was the Targus APA93US for $30 at Best Buy. I intent to get a bunch more but am eyeing my options right now.

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  3. muzicman82

Reputations:
    Well, I searched for Owners... I'd say fresh models deserve a fresh thread.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Stager likes this.
  4. muzicman82

Reputations:
    FYI -

In search of spare power supplies, I found and purchased a bunch of Dell HDCY5 USB-C supplies off eBay. I liked that the cord is actually set up to wrap around the body of the supply. The AC cable is also shorter, making it better for travel. There's a bonus of a LED light in the USB-C connector indicating whether there is juice... though it doesn't change to indicate load.

I made an eBay seller an offer for $25/each and purchased 5x of them. I leave PSUs everywhere. They appear to be of new quality. These are the same spec as the HP OEM @ 2.25A / 20V / 45W.

I also picked up the Targus 45W from Best Buy. It's nice and compact, but offers no light and the body itself plugs into an outlet, making it not power strip friendly.

So far I haven't noticed any difference in charging or use with non-HP PSU. I'm not sure the system actually knows.

5. Hwulex

Hwulex Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you report anything about heat management and fan noise? I've read mixed reports around the web, mostly from owners, that the Spectre can run hot and is frequently noisy with the fans spinning up sooner and running for longer than most would expect. I find it strange that none of the reviewers ever mention this, but perhaps some people just have a bad build.

I'm yet to see a single review for this latest version with the UHD pen-enabled screen and in the ash/copper case so would love to see a first-hand report. Do you ever notice the fans spinning up under light browsing? I'm currently using a 2016 Razer Blade Stealth and will be returning it for bad heat management and the fans almost constantly running (along with other QA issues).

I am desperately waiting for this exact model to hit Canada. I have a decked-out XPS13 on order from Dell, but I think would rather the Spectre if it arrives soon and isn't (overly) noisy.

Thanks.

6. muzicman82

Reputations:
    As mentioned elsewhere, the first thing I did when I got the system was clean install Windows. While installing everything and the CPU was at 60-100% utilization, the fan was running and it does get hot around the LCD hinge. I wouldn't say it gets more or less hot than other systems I've had under load, but given the system is made out of a metallic body (or even a metal), it does feel hotter to touch than say plastic would at the same temperature. I did notice that there is air intake on the bottom, and if this were placed on a solid desk where the feet keep the intake holes unobstructed, you may be fine. On a lap, if that gets blocked, I think it may reduce the airflow.

I haven't had the system long enough to say whether I care or not. I do notice the fan with normal use, but I am always on AC with a less-than-conservative power setting. I can't say the fan bothers me. If you set up a battery saving mode, it could reduce CPU usage. I also wonder if the Intel Turbo Boost settings need looked at or even disabled to keep the CPU from going into "overdrive" mode perhaps unnecessarily. The system is fast, and I don't think it needs to be that fast all the time.

Another thing is when I have the system on my lap, it's usually under a pillow or something, so it isn't burning me, and also props it up.

So far I really love this system. The display is great and I'm sure I'll love the pen after getting more familiar and fitting it into my workflow. I am coming from a Yoga 2 Pro that I loved, but it was 2 years old when it was stolen in December. (I have another thread on that.) If the Y2P had Thunderbolt and a pen, I would've bought it again. I didn't care for the Yoga 910 or Yoga 3 Pro (or whatever it was called). They gained some features but dropped in performance. The modified USB charger thing is weird (and it's not USB-C).

I am wondering right now if I want to stick with the stock Samsung NVMe SSD or upgrade it to a 960 PRO. 512GB is fine for me, but I've always liked having higher performing drives and not relying on OEM quality (which is usually lacking). I haven't benchmarked it yet... but plan on it.

SnakeEyez likes this.
  7. Hwulex

Hwulex Newbie

Reputations:
  8. muzicman82

Reputations:
    That isn't the same laptop, but the keyboard backlight appears to be only on/off with Fn+F5. I am guessing there is no Windows interaction with this function, though I haven't check BIOS settings yet for adjustment. It doesn't bother me. The letters are very easy to read with the backlight on or off, so besides battery conservation, I don't mind it on all the time.

I also don't think the key is supposed to show different levels of brightness as the OP on that thread states. I think the dots are just the icon representing keys.

This is my first HP laptop I've owned, so I don't know if they've had it adjustable in other models.

SnakeEyez likes this.
  9. muzicman82

Reputations:
    I did just notice something I've heard others mention... you can hear the SSD or CPU noise. I started a program and I heard faint sounds like a traditional hard drive as data was being scrubbed. It's not loud and very faint, but it's worth mentioning. Doesn't bother me.

I am using the laptop now for work running decently CPU intensive programs (that aren't multithreaded), but it is using all CPU cores at a utilization of 30-80% and the fan is running at a moderate speed. It's fairly quiet, also doesn't bother me yet. I will say that for a 2.7GHz CPU, it is running Turbo Boosted at over 3 GHz consistently, which is probably contributing to the heat.

I set the Maximum Processor State in Advanced Power Options to 99%, which is a quick and easy way to disable Turbo Boost. I'll report back if it makes a difference. I may just leave it like that until I need to do some rendering of sorts.

10. Toastyy

Toastyy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anyone noticed the long palm rejection delay of the touchscreen after using the pen? For me it takes about 2 seconds of withdrawing the pen for the computer to respond to touchscreen input. It is super annoying while taking notes since I have to switch quickly between writing and scrolling the page. I'm hoping this is a defect or a software issue but the HP site says this:

"If your system supports palm rejection technology, when the active stylus is in use, the touch screen does not respond to input from your hand. Wait approximately 1.5 seconds between using the stylus and using your finger."

If I can't fix this I will seriously consider returning the laptop. It would be a damn shame because I'm a big fan otherwise! I have the 13' ac050ca model.