HP Spectre x360 13 (Late 2019; Ice Lake) Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'HP' started by ikjadoon, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Straightshooter

Straightshooter Newbie

Reputations:
    Firstly, thank you, Ikjadoon, for taking the initiative & setting up this thread, which, among other things, allows us Spectre Ice Lake owners to vent, enthuse and gain important info about our devices.

It was here that I first learned about the dreaded "screen door" effect, though my laptop was already on its way (it arrived Dec. 29). At least I knew what to expect, so I wasn't particularly fazed, especially after experiencing myself how mild the effect is. I nonetheless toyed with the idea of returning it, but then Skylake casually dropped the bomb that the digitizer grid is apparent on the Yoga C940 as well, and so it evidently isn't a manufacturing defect, and for me it's no contest between the two, if only because the Spectre is smaller and thus more portable (and has a micro sd slot, et al). What also won me over was watching the Costa Rica 4K video on Youtube, with this laptop's display it was like being on safari- it was hard not to recoil from the snakes...

Otherwise, I'm finding this PC to be a beast that can handle just about anything better than (non gaming) devices twice its size, and am looking forward to reading the impressions of other owners.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    ikjadoon likes this.
  2. rocky85

rocky85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I noticed that when i open up 5% grey image in fullscreen mode, there is something like the left side of the screen is more brighter than the right side of screen, like this :

[​IMG]

Is this normal? Is this what people call it vertical banding or?

Should I return this laptop? Thanks

3. slapnahrabe

slapnahrabe Newbie

Reputations:
    What about fan noise? Last gen was horrible.

4. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apologies for the delay in following up here!

It's for heat: the other laptops are much hotter on load and somewhat warmer on idle. I wrote about it here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/13-spectre-on-ice.75231/page-18#post-542806

Dell & Lenovo not doing anything special: it's just higher power draw + more heat -> better heavy-load benchmark scores. The CPUs & cooling systems are quite close: dual-fan, dual-heat-pipe.

The XPS 13 2-in-1 is the worst offender of Ice Lake thermals-gone-wild: the XPS 13 2-in-1 palmrest at idle is warmer than the Spectre x360 palmrest at load. Where your hands touch the laptop, the Dell is warmer at idle than the x360 at load. Crazy...

Once I uninstalled McAfee and relaxed the HP Support Assistant services, this is essentially a 100% fanless device. However, I do just webdev + Spotify + Slack + a few other applications, plus your typical cloud syncing in the background (LAN to NAS via Synology Drive, GDrive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.).

5. Mikell Czermendy

Mikell Czermendy Newbie

Reputations:
    All these reviewers keep talking about this but none of them ever mention that you can change the laptop's stance in the HP Command Center. If you put it on Performance, yeah it runs the fans more, and they're pretty loud when they're full blast, but they only do that for a few minutes at a time, then they're quiet again for quite a while, and the performance is at least nearly on par with Dell and Lenovo.

I saw ONE review (forget where) that points out the Command Center options, and that when plugged in and on Performance Mode, the Spectre rendered a 30 minute 4K video FASTER than the XPS 2 in 1.

ikjadoon likes this.
  6. Straightshooter

Straightshooter Newbie

Reputations:
    I play Grim Dawn at Intel's recommended settings for the cpu. Gameplay is smooth, and the fans perform flawlessly, turning themselves on and off as needed. Yeah, you hear them when they operate, it's their way of letting you know they exist, but they sound healthy and are never crazy loud. And the laptop itself maintains a reasonable temperature even after lengthy play. Not bad for a tiny 2-in-1.

I'm not throwing away my ROG rig, though. Cyberpunk 2077, y'know...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  7. Steve K

Steve K Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone seen or heard about availability of the sure view configuration for the late 2019 model? When it launched in fall, they said Sureview would come in January. I’ve checked every couple of weeks, and I haven’t seen it — and then I chatted with hp and the person I talked to couldn’t say if or when it would become available

8. Karma_Police

Karma_Police Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would not get the sureview model... a couple of reviews mentioned that even on the latest version (gen3), you see uneven lighting looking at it even slightly off-center, even with the privacy guard off. Unfortunately on the HP Canada website, you can only get sureview screens or OLED screens.