HP Spectre x360 13 (Late 2019; Ice Lake) Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'HP' started by ikjadoon, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Skylake_

Skylake_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nope, that app allows only to change two buttons (and few options, less than in the Windows Ink panel) and they are swapped, too.

hmscott likes this.
  2. dio2604

dio2604 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,
    I got my X360 (OLED) yesterday and I'm wondering if you guys are also facing the issue with the loose touchpad (touching it results in a slight rattle which is somewhat annoying). Fortunately no pop sound at the edges and build quality is very good in general (except touchpad). Still deciding whether to give it back or get used to the touchpad. My 2017 Elitepad 1030 has a very firm touchpad, no comparison to the X360.

3. freemanzhu

freemanzhu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Long-standing issue with HP. We've had 2 Spectre x360 (late-2016) and 1 Envy laptops in the household; only one of the Spectres didn't have the rattling touchpad. It doesn't really impact functionality but is something they should've addressed long ago, as it detracts from the premium impression these laptops are supposed to make.

4. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A few quick replies. My unit just came in today, 4 days earlier than expected. HP's order status page is essentially worthless: it only marked it as "shipped" about 2 hours before delivery.

1. I've not setup the pen, but I'll see what I can find about the sensitivity & what-not.

2. dio2604: my touchpad doesn't have any rattle at all. Now, the bottom 1/3 is a button, so that bit does go down and up; it does register a click, though, so I think that's all to be expected? There isn't a "rattle" here on mine. It does feel firm and responsive. I'm sorry to hear about it being loose on yours: I have heard other people bring up this issue, specifically the Digital Digest's videos in the 2nd post. :(

3. I can confirm that on mine, choosing the "Optane Free" SSDs = a 512 GB Samsung PM981a SSD. This is the OEM equivalent of the 970 EVO Plus, so it should be super quick. Will bench and post soon.

4. QC overall is great. However, the left hinge is off-kilter (by 15 to 25 degrees); it's not rubbing the chassis, but it is close. Debating if I want to send it back or just "note it" for the next warranty repair when it has a catastrophic (i.e., unusable) issue. I'll see if it fixes itself in a few rotations (doubtful, but we'll see). Don't hate it, but now that I've seen it, it's a little hard to unsee. The only serious worry is a mechanical issue down the line.

5. Price protection worked great, for anyone who bought it on Cyber Monday.

Nothing else of note, except perhaps: absolutely, immediately, without delay uninstall McAfee. My fans were going wild. Removing that and running Windows Update (which included the latest F10 BIOS) and it's working good so far. I'm staying on 1903 for now, as there seemed to be a few HP bugs in the wild with 1909.

The hinge is a little worrying: we'll see what happens. I'll upload pictures later, if anyone else comes across it: at least we can document what we're seeing and what's the easiest/best way to get them fixed.

5. freemanzhu

freemanzhu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The hinges are another long-standing issue. I returned a Spectre x360 in late 2017 in part because of the crooked hinges. That one also had rather annoying coil whine. Again, no impact to functionality as far as I could tell, but frustrating that HP designed such good hardware but isn't executing consistently in QC.

I've been tempted by the latest Spectre x360 but will probably stick with my ProBook 430 G6 for now. It's not sexy and a little heavy for a 13-incher but really well built, touchpad feels nicer than on the Envy, and zero coil whine. (And after the various discounts it was less than $400 for an 8th-gen Core i5 with IPS, might be the best-kept secret in laptops.)

As for McAfee, yes it's trash, I wonder how much manufacturers get from Intel to put it on new PCs. I always do a clean install right away. That used to be a pain but it's pretty easy and quick these days - the install itself takes like 10 minutes and then Windows Update grabs most or all of the drivers.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    ikjadoon likes this.
  6. Mikell Czermendy

Mikell Czermendy Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got mine yesterday, but I have to wait till Christmas to open it lol.

I'm wondering whether I should do a clean windows install. I actually do want some of HP's software, Command Center/Coolsense in particular. I've also read there's a utility to tune the speaker sound and a few other things. Would it maybe be better to just go through and uninstall the programs I don't want? Or that's just nowhere near as good as a fresh install?

7. rocky85

rocky85 Newbie

Reputations:
    i installed a new Windows last night in a separate partition drive, so the original Windows that came up with this laptop is still there, so there are 2 Windows for me now, we can select which Windows to go in, when the laptop boots up.. maybe this is the best way so far if you want to install a new fresh Windows while still keeping the old original Windows that came up with this laptop when you bought it?

regarding the drivers n softwares, i first download all drivers n softwares from the HP site. you can install the HP software as there are also available to download in their site.

regarding the sound / speaker utility, it was automatically installed on my new Windows, when I connect to the internet, that Bang Sound software was downloaded from the microsoft store.

I dont know if there would be any different or no with the original Windows & softwares that were already installed on the spectre when we buy it, thats why i choose to install on different partition to still keep the original windows n software.

hope that helps you

8. rocky85

rocky85 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi guys, i just bought this spectre x360 OLED 4K few days ago, and the screen is too yellowish (for me at least).. I dont know if all spectre x360 OLED 4K has this same too yellowish or no, since there is no other this same type of spectre around here so i cant compare with other same type unit..

the build quality is well good enough for me, no cracking sound whatever in casing, etc.. It is just big problem for me that too yellowish color on screen..

Have you anybody tried to calibrate the screen? If so yes, can you anybody share the icc file to others with us here?

The problem is I dont have calibration hardware/tool, and it is quite expensive for me to buy it just to make my yellowish screen right, loll.. so, if there is anybody can share/that has calibration tool can calibrate and share the icc file here, i will be so much thankful !?!!! As this is the one really issue for me now with this current new laptop that I just bought!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!

9. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is a good input: since I have at least 10+ pieces of HP software/bloatware, but there's only one available on the site. Hard to tell which are just site bookmarks, which do something important, and which are extraneous. Good to know that seemingly some of them are instead offered on Windows Update.

I didn't do the dual-boot, but used Macrium to create a backup.

So far, I've only uninstalled HP Smart (the printer setup bloatware) and McAfee. I had noticed "AppHelperCap.exe" was eating up CPU cycles; not sure what it does, but it's called from "HP App Helper HSA Service" in Services; the HSA makes me think HP Support Assistant. I didn't uninstall this one as it seemed useful for driver updates (but might remove it now because apparently Windows Update can grab it).

I disabled that service and, man alive, the laptop is cool to the touch now. That thing needlessly ate 5% to 15% of CPU for no reason and prevented the CPU from idling. It's much better now: 1% to 3% at idle, with third-party stuff checking in, but nothing as terrible as "AppHelperCap."exe"

OK, on my non-Tilt pen, I've also not got any sensitivity choices anywhere. :( Just setting the buttons to different actions, unfortunately, just the same.

//

Benched the SSD today. CDM isn't a great benchmark, but it's comparable enough. This is on the 512 GB TLC SSD:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  10. Mikell Czermendy

Mikell Czermendy Newbie

Reputations:
    That SSD looks pretty damn fast to me!

Also, disabling "AppHelperCap."exe" sounds like a great tip! I was reading on Reddit that using the control panel to set your power plan to limit the max CPU usage to 99% also goes along way to helping with cooling, and even battery life. Basically stops the I7 from hyperthreading or something, which is apparently a thing it does more often than it actually needs to. And unless you are doing some seriously CPU-intensive stuff, you'll never notice a performance dip.

ikjadoon likes this.