HP Spectre x360 13 (Late 2019; Ice Lake) Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'HP' started by ikjadoon, Dec 2, 2019.

1. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some of these reviewers barely use these devices and it shows, which makes me wary of even their positive comments. Are those positive comments even real?

Who are you and what did you do with Tom Brant of PC Mag, [checks notes] Tom Brant of PC Mag?

[​IMG]

I can sympathize with simple omissions, but how can you have gone through an entire review without 1) reading the spec sheet, 2) looking at the product page on HP's website, 3) glancing at any other review, and/or 4) double-checking what you wrote about this laptop two months ago? This guy purposefully calls out the lack of an IR camera: why? He didn't believe it could be done after the continual problems Dell's had?

A shame. And on the cumbersome type-A port: it seems like you can still plug it in without pulling down the flap yourself. And it gained 0.1", and now that's a "con". Shaking my head here...

3. freemanzhu

freemanzhu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't exactly agree with some of the complaints in the PCMag review. It says the laptop is too thick - I think thinness is way overrated, especially if you can get good battery life and port selection instead. It says the "drop hinge" USB-A port requires two hands to operate - this is not true, I know from experience on my Envy 13 (insert the plug at a little of an angle, bottom first). And it says there's no IR webcam, which I think is incorrect for all variants of the new Spectre x360 - even the base model is listed as having it.

EDIT: I only saw page 2 of this thread just now. I see we had the same reactions. Great minds ... :)

EDIT 2: The response to your suggestion about Battery Care is even more idiotic than I expected. It looks like the person understood your problem to be that the battery won't charge to 100%, when that's exactly what you want! Oh, HP.

ikjadoon likes this.
  4. Twain0

Twain0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm still wondering why nobody does care about the severe problem with the clearly visible and thus disturbing digitizer layer on the OLED model. This 's going to be a massive showstopper for this otherwise very promising laptop.

Go to the shop and physically check the picture quality with a white or bright background and small text. Check the text sharpness and also the display quality (bluriness) of small thumbnails (make e.g. google picture search for desktop wallpapers).

I own the Spectre 15 with OLED and checked two Spectres 13 in different shops. Everywhere the same. Also a German user posted same concerns in several forums.

Once you notice the problem, there's no way not to fade it out afterwards.

Hopefully it's not on every machine (if HP/Samsung managed to resolve) but there are plenty machines with the problem sold.

BR
    Twain

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    ikjadoon and Skylake_ like this.
  5. Skylake_

Skylake_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you link the references to these complaints? I'm receiving the OLED Spectre on 20th December. Now I'm worrying about this issue. This model is not available in shops atm so I have not the possibility to check before.

6. Twain0

Twain0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 3rd post in this thread shows real life pictures for the mentioned case. Imagine it's a 4K display and the text is pretty blurry. On an IPS 4K display or on an OLED 4K without touch (e.g. Dell) the text would be much more sharp and clear.

It has nothing to do with the OLED pixel array, the overlying digitizer pattern "washes out" the contour of text and graphic objects.

It's possible that not all the OLED Spectres suffer from this problem. Would also be interesting for me to know.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    ikjadoon and Skylake_ like this.
  7. freemanzhu

freemanzhu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The unit I played with at Best Buy had the exact same issue. I'm pretty sure all the OLED displays (at least of the Spectre x360) will have this. Some people may not be bothered by it, but between this, the price premium, the hit to battery life, and the limited value of 4K on such a small screen, I'd just go for the 1080p IPS display. (I say this as a huge fan of OLED TVs - have had a 65-inch LG OLED for 3+ years and love it. But the trade-offs on a laptop aren't worth it.)

ikjadoon likes this.
  8. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh, yes, haha. That PC Mag review: just walked away frustrated. Consumers should hear genuine flaws, but that reviewer clearly didn't spend much time using the laptop: how can you get even the spec sheet wrong, i.e., he literally about the "impressive" IR some weeks ago and it's on every model. Consumers literally cannot buy a late 2019 HP Spectre x360 13 without an IR Camera.

And, had the HP Spectre x360 had been thinner, would we have heard about throttling or battery life?

The USB-A: OK, nice. It wouldn't have been a big concern even if you did, but it's nice to know.. The Dave2D video also showed it being done one-handed:

[​IMG]

My only concern might be paint chipping or does it have a gentle release? But, even then, it feels like a minor concern at best.

And, yup...I replied, trying to make it clear: we'll see what happens. I suspect the thread dies or he ignores everything I've written and copy-pastes the next paragraph from the script. Sigh...

I agree; I didn't look too carefully on the OLED model in Best Buy to check this, but I've heard it from a bit too many people for it to be a one-off concern. I'll look closer my next time there; it's one of the many reasons I avoided the OLED.

Quoted for the truth. OLED is stunning for TVs, i.e., displays connected to a permanent power source. But for laptops, it'll be 2-3+ more panel generations until the battery life gets much closer to an IPS. I've used IPS laptops for years: as long as the panel gamut is ~100% sRGB, you're seeing every color that is displayed on 99.99% of the web & essentially every non-movie application. HDR & 4K have not really been well implemented in Windows (or the web). The screen is gorgeous, though, if you really only watch movies and/or don't care about battery life and/or the 4K/HDR foibles.

My old XPS 16 with an RGBLED-backlit IPS panel w/ 120% AdobeRGB coverage (which was wild in 2009): higher gamut displays necessarily consume more power and after sRGB, I just don't watch enough movies in 4K / HDR to halve my battery life just for OLED.

I used to tell myself, "Well, you'll be staring at all day. Might as well make it a good screen." In reality, I got used to the screen within a few days and it didn't wow me anymore, but even after the honeymoon period, I was perpetually reminded of the worse battery life.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  9. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Added the FHD update from MobileTechReview. Timestamps linked below! She notes battery life is 2-3+ hours more than the OLED (thus total 10 hours "without trying too hard"). Better than the OLED for the visible digitizer issue, mentioned above.

IPS FHD (click here to jump to the video portion)
    • 356 nits
    • 98% sRGB
    • 77% Adobe RGB
    • 2.2 Gamma (perfect is 2.2)
    • 6700K (perfect is 6500K)
    • 0.28 Black Level (lower is better)
    • 1270:1 Contrast (higher is better)
    • 1.19 average dE (under 2.3 is considered indistinguishable; lower is better)
    • AUO5E2D Panel
    • Battery life: "2 to 3 hours more than the OLED; 10 hours without trying too hard"
    OLED 4K (click here to jump to the video portion)
    • 353 nits
    • 100% sRGB
    • 100% Adobe RGB
    • 2.1 Gamma (perfect is 2.2)
    • 7600K (perfect is 6500K)
    • 0.00 Black level (lower is better)
    • 252,000:1 contrast (higher is better)
    • 1.75 average dE (under 2.3 is considered indistinguishable; lower is better)
    • Battery life: "7.5 hours"
    • SDC4142 Panel
    Battery life is a good bit closer than I expected between IPS vs OLED, but as Lisa mentions, it will depends your APL (i.e., what percent of your screen is white? That is, are you forcing a dark theme everywhere, even on incompatible web pages?). A good primer on APL from Anandtech. However, some upsets: the IPS is ever so slightly brighter, has better gamma (2.2 is perfect), has better color temperature (6500K is perfect), and has better color accuracy (1.19 vs 1.75; though both are indistinguishable). OLED absolutely dominates in color gamut & contrast, as expected.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  10. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't want to add the dozens of "hands-on impressions" videos & articles to the 2nd post list, but here are two just this week anyways that will probably have a full review imminently:

TechRadar
    Thurrott.com (yes, it is weird calling it the "5th gen"—everyone's already settled on "late 2019"; who's honestly been counting HP Spectre x360 13 generations?)