HP Spectre x360 13/15t vs Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Dr. AMK, Jun 20, 2018.

?

Which laptop do you recommend?

1. ThnkPad X1 Carbon

62.5%
  2. HP Spectre x360

25.0%
  3. ThnkPad X1 Yuga

12.5%
  1. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I need to buy a business laptop for when I am on the go. My budget is around 1000-1200 USD.
    I have narrowed down my selection to these two laptops. I know the ThinkPads are the most spoken about and the go to laptops from a business notebook perspective but I do like the features of the HP Spectre as well and I am really digging the design.
    I'm just worried about reliability long terms and how do they actually perform in the real world and whether are not any of them have any known issues (Heat, Throttling, etc..) .
    Your feedback about these 2 laptops would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1000~$1200

2) What size notebook would you prefer? 13"~15"
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? USA - Europe - China

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: HP Spectre x360 13/15t - ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ThinkPad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen)
    b. Dislike: Dell XPS

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes, even used

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Business (Word, Excel, PPT, Visio, MS Project)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? taking it to different places

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? NO

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? As much as possible

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online is OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows 10 Pro

Build Quality and Design

12) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes very important

13) When are you buying this laptop? Within 2 weeks

Notebook Components

14) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? Smallest one coz I have my own SSD to install, the laptop must have the ability to upgrade the SSD.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Ultra Male likes this.
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    considering the x1 carbon is the best non gaming laptop money can buy....its not really a debate or opinion on this matter that will help you decide. I recommend you read the reviews on all three and decide for yourself. what pros and cons your leaning towards.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Spectre-x360-13t-i7-8550U-FHD-SSD-Laptop-Review.289232.0.html rating 88
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...50U-HDR-WQHD-Convertible-Review.289922.0.html rating 88
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-2018-WQHD-HDR-i7-Laptop-Review.284682.0.html rating 90

if it was x1 vs xps would be closer

Ultra Male and Dr. AMK like this.
  3. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Thank you for your advice. the XPS is a nice laptop for sure but I don't like the design and the keyboard. I need something for meetings with eye catching design.

Ultra Male likes this.
  4. 9ac3

9ac3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What kinds of specs are you looking for? 16 gb RAM and 512 gb SSD or 8 gb RAM and 256 gb SSD?

The HP Spectre x360 is a good value for money considering your budget, as the X1 Carbon is expensive. Make sure to get them on a discount to meet your budget. I think a discount is going on now for both these brands so better to buy now.

I think you will be able to get X1 Carbon with i7 processor + 8 gb RAM + 512 gb SSD for $1300 right now on sale from Lenovo's official US website. I personally prefer the Thinkpad because of the keyboard and the Matte display.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  5. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Get the X1 Carbon. You can configure it to your needs here, but Lenovo sells the base configuration with an i5 8250u, 8gb RAM and a 250gb ssd for ~$1350. If it's possible to configure the laptop with the HDR display, I would do it. It looks simply stunning.

I believe @Mobius 1 has some coupon codes for thinkpads that could save you a a few dollars.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  6. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Good advice thank you for your kindness. I think I can live with the i5 and the minimum specs since I will use it only for (Word, Excel, PPT, Visio, MS Project), and I have my own SSD so I don't care how much size it will be included.

Yes @Mobius 1 already sent me the code, he is very kind, I'm just trying to buy the right one, this is will be my laptop for the next 3 years and I have to make sure.
    It seems that most of you are recommending the X1 carbon, still this model is the king of the old school and business, I just worried little bit about the Intel GPU performance and the CPU throttling, that's why I need advice from any members who already have the on hand experience with those laptops.

Thank you all for your kind advice and support.

Ultra Male likes this.
  7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:

Depending on model it's 20-35% off

X1C6 starts at 1000 with the coupon, and some premade configurations actually are cheaper compared to selecting the base model and upgrading it.

I recommend RAM upgrade to 16GB, if you're going to be using it for the next 3 years then it's a must.

I should have the throttling review up by around the middle of next week.

HDR display is glossy btw.

Dr. AMK and Vasudev like this.
  8. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Thank you for your kind support, I'll just wait for your review.

9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    It's mostly the same with the X1C5, but just pretend that the CPU can only run at its base non turbo clockspeed if you don't want it to thermal throttle.

Dr. AMK likes this.
  10. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    I'll wait for this:
    Intel's Ultrabook CPU Gets To 4.5GHz!