1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HP Spectre 13T-3000

Discussion in 'HP Envy & HDX' started by theboswell, Oct 19, 2013.

1. randy_in_nc

randy_in_nc Notebook Consultant

My second one is being delivered on Thursday. :)

I sent the first one back, but probably should have kept it after learning that a slight back light leakage on the start up screen is fairly normal.

2. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Ah, that would make sense. The laptop shouldn't use more than 30W at any time (6W for the display, 15W for the processor, plus the fan, RAM, SSD, etc...) so a 45W adapter would run it with no issue.

Edit: Also, looking at the manual, has anyone actually opened the laptop and confirmed that it's an M.2 SSD? The manual references it as an M.2 SSD but lists the parts as mSATA SSDs and shows an image of an mSATA SSD when showing you how to replace it.

3. Dpat09

Dpat09 Notebook Guru

Same here hopefully ours aren't duds. Looks like all of ours were in the same batch. Also did you get an email from HP to welcome you? It said "hp spectre 13t-3000 cto ultrabook (energy star)." I'm guessing "CTO" is for the customized ones?

4. racerjim

racerjim Notebook Enthusiast

I didn't get an e-mail from HP, but the HP support page for the device uses the "CTO Ultrabook" designation. No idea what it means.

5. yzm

yzm Newbie

What you can do is that after you uninstall the graphic driver, restart the machine. It will automatically install the windows default graphic driver, then you upgrade the new driver you downloaded. I did this way. It worked. Good luck!

6. yzm

yzm Newbie

That's an interesting question that I am looking for the solution too. The HP Recovery partition assumes for the manufacture default settings. I would do what I used to do for my system, i.e. do the current system backup and delete the Recovery partition, since it only recovers you to the default manufacture system settings, which may not be as good as the current system that you already set up. Or, if you still want to keep the Recovery partition, you may just backup the Recovery partition to your USB drive or DVD disk.

7. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Customized To Order

And mine (apparently) shipped on Tuesday but I just got an e-mail on Saturday. The tracking said and still says that it will deliver tomorrow but it was updated to "On Vehicle for Delivery" (not "On Vehicle for Delivery Today" like I've seen in the past). I hope it comes tomorrow rather than today because I changed my schedule around to work at home tomorrow to sign for it!

8. Dpat09

Dpat09 Notebook Guru

Yeah exactly what I thought (CTO). Anyways is there a general time that FedEx is likely to deliver? I will be at school till 2:35. And usually get home at 3

9. randy_in_nc

It can vary. My HP Envy 15t-j100 Quad TouchSmart was delivered today before 10:30 AM.

The tracking on my HP Spectre 13t-3000 says it will be delivered (on Thursday) by 8:30 PM.

Both had 2 day delivery status.

Usually Fedex will give you a delivered by TIME. Just expect it by that time, but it could be earlier.

10. randy_in_nc

Most likely you will get it tomorrow. If they were going to deliver it today, the expected delivery date would have changed.

11. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Well, joke's on me! They apparently tried to deliver it today. The tracking info says they will try again tomorrow.

Hopefully the driver didn't beat the **** out of it since he had to carry it upstairs and back down...

12. Cretu

Cretu Newbie

Hello,

Can anyone check if this laptop has any option in BIOS to "Enable virtualization"?. I'm thinking about getting this machine, and while I know that most laptop has this feature configurable in BIOS nodaways, I want to make sure, because otherwise it will be useless for me.

I saw the i7 model with 8GB, 1080p and 128GB but i must admit that the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition also looks good, with same specs but a 256GB... :D

Thanks in advance.

13. Dpat09

Dpat09 Notebook Guru

Hey I just searched the i7 4500U and found that it does support virtualization, as far if you can turn it on or off, I believe it is set to on by default. I can't confirm it though because mine will arrive on Friday and can check for you or anyone else out there that has received theirs' might check.

source: ARK | Intel® Core

14. prosumer

prosumer Notebook Enthusiast

The Baby arrived today. It is absolutely gorgeous. I have already made the recovery disk. I want to recover the recovery partition space. When I checked the Disk Management, I came across another 8GB partition in addition to the recovery partition. It is marked as "OEM Partition". Any suggestions whether can I remove it or not ?

Got a USB 8.1 Pro version, however while booting(after changing the boot order) the system does not boot into the USB. Any Ideas why ? I want to perform a clean install of 8.1 Pro.

15. mizcoffee

mizcoffee Newbie

I've read all 106 pages of this thread and you guys really helped me make the decision to purchase this laptop - thanks!! I had vowed never to buy HP again, but seems like every manufacturer seems to have problems (every Thinkpad I bought last year was a lemon!) So I decieded to give to give HP another chance..crossing my fingers...

While I wait for it to come, just wondering if anyone has come across a screen protector that fits? Mainly to reduce the glare from the glossy screen.

16. GoBucks811

GoBucks811 Newbie

Just booted into BIOS and checked it out. There is an option to enable virtualization. It is disabled by default by the looks of it. BTW this is my first post and I would like to thank everyone for the all the info and advice. You all made the decision to pull the trigger on the laptop without seeing it easier. Glad I did as it is a great machine.

seste likes this.
  17. Dpat09

Dpat09 Notebook Guru

How long have you had yours? Also what specs did you pick?

18. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Notebook Evangelist

Not sure what you mean by "Got a USB 8.1 Pro version," but if your BIOS boot order has USB first, and it won't boot, I would suspect that the USB isn't set up to boot, or is corrupted.

Good luck, Jim

19. Gfresh404

Gfresh404 Notebook Evangelist

This might seem like a strange question but what's the minimum brightness like (migraines)? And what screen do you have? Thanks

20. prosumer

prosumer Notebook Enthusiast

I meant I had a bootable USB drive with Win 8.1 Pro on it. Anyways, was able to install it without much hassle. I love this machine. You all have been very helpful.