HP Spectre 13" OLED Screen issue (Screendoor effect, warm/yellowish whites)

Discussion in 'HP' started by cammc, Nov 18, 2019.

1. muc_vaio

muc_vaio Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey there. HP-OLED and Dell OLED user here. I've been using an 15,6 inch HP AMOLED Spectre (1st Gen with 8th Gen Core i7) for a month and it had exactly the same pattern.

It's a pen-input layer that has a very rough raster and is visible at all resolutions.

Your Screenshot is actually my post at reddit (martin22_3 ^^). When I first got my Spectre, I was wondering if my unit was just faulty or if it was a common problem. I've been using a 13,3" (1440p) inch Spectre (2016) before and it also had touch input, but only with finger recognition. It did not have digitizer support so the overall image was totally clear. Even at lower PPI it looked much sharper and clearer than its 15 inch 4K AMOLEd successor.

Totally agree. I find it quite unbelievable that HP continues to use that honeycomb-like layer on its latest 13" 4K AMOLED Spectre. They totally ruin screen clearness. Both the 15 inch and the 13 inch OLED Spectres got reviewed on Youtube and none of the reviewers did notice that layer. Even many review sites did not mention it. People just dont look at it closely as they have limited time to review their units.

For those who look for an alternative: The Dell XPS 15 OLED suffers from vertical banding but has clear and natural whites (balanced white point), a semi-glossy panel which does not reflect too much, high peak brightness and no pen input layer. However - due to the anti reflective layer - you may see a slight cloudy layer on whites. This one steals very little from sharpness and is bearable compared to the awful HP Spectres.

I really wonder how Asus or Razer implemented their pen input layers on their OLED notebooks.

ikjadoon likes this.
  2. muc_vaio

muc_vaio Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to say, but it's an HP thing. They have added mediocre pen input layers on their 2019s OLED laptops. AMOLED in its nature has the option to integrate capacitive touch input. SDI probably implemented this on the 2016 SDCA029 Revision. However, for pen input there seems to be another layer needed. HP sadly opted for a visible pen input structure. The problem with this grid is that it's very rough textured. I'd say it's visible as soon as you get a little bit closer to your laptop as usually. On the 15 inch model it was visible at normal distance and very annoying when displaying light colors (especially whites).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    ikjadoon likes this.
  3. Richdog

Richdog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's crazy that HP cut corners like this and materially affected what should have been an amazing display. Here's hoping they fix it on the 2020 model of OLED's, but for now I will not be buying this generation. :(

ikjadoon likes this.