HP Probook 4530s screen upgrade 900P, 1080P

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by timohour, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotSoLameBen

NotSoLameBen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got an openbox 4530S from Microcenter for $360 three days ago. Yesterday I came across this thread and decided to do the upgrade. I'm getting the AUO B156HW01 V.4 screen. I have a friend that has the matte version in his Lenovo W series and my girlfriend has the glossy version in her XPS 15, so I know the awesomeness I'm about to experience.

Since my model came with the 1366x768 display, I also purchased the Alinc display cable. I expect that everything will get here by Friday, so I'll post an update on my progress then.

I also decided to get a second ram module and a Crucial m4 128gb SSD, so when I'm all done if I can manage to sell the old screen and the 500 gigabyte hard drive the entire rig shouldn't cost me more than $500! :)

Or, you know... I'll have a brand new broken laptop! Wish me luck!

2. WiredBrain

WiredBrain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Will this lcd upgrade work on the new probook 4540s?

3. NotSoLameBen

Reputations:
    I got the Alinc cable today so I took out the old screen and cable and put in the new cable.

My experience so far has been pretty good. Here are a few things that might help others in the future. Note that I followed the instructions in the Probook 4530 service guide. My comments pertain to the procedures described therein.

1. When taking the keyboard out, you should push from the bottom with a screw driver. I wasn't sure how far I could safely push, but in my experience I was able to push far enough to get my fingertips underneath the keyboard from the top. Be careful when doing this that you get under the entire keyboard and not just the thin exterior covering or you may bend it. To give you an idea the entire keyboard is about 4mm thick.

2. I was unable to push the top cover off with a screw driver from the gaps in the battery compartment as the service guide suggested. I think to do so would require that the opposing force be applied down through the screen. I wasn't comfortable doing that, so I managed to separate one corner and just peeled the top off from that corner. The front was a little tricky since you have to get the top cover over the USB ports to get it to come off. Finally the front was especially difficult to get off. I found that pushing in (in the direction of the screen) on the bottom of the front helped to get the top to release.

To the poster that said his laptop no longer turns off the screen when it is closed, there is a small metallic piece that fits somewhat loosely in the plastic bezel that goes around the screen. I'm guessing that this fell out without your noticing. I think if you can find it and replace it, your laptop will again turn off the screen when closed.

Tomorrow I'm getting the screen. I really hope that everything just works because troubleshooting this would be a real pain.

4. NotSoLameBen

Reputations:
    Any advice on how to put the screen bezel back on? Right now I have the top cover installed and I'm having a hard time fitting the black hinges covers on the bezel over the silver hinge covers themselves.

5. NotSoLameBen

Reputations:
    All done! The screen works and is every bit as beautiful as I hoped. The only evidence that the entire laptop was taken apart is a tiny scratch on one of the screen hinges. Overall I think things went very well!

I was unable to get the screen bezel on over the hinge covers. To get the bezel on, I had to remove the entire display assembly, take the hinge covers off, put the screen bezel on then put the hinge covers on. There may be a way of putting the bezel back on without taking the hinge covers off, but I couldn't figure it out.

Barring advice from others, I strongly suggest that you remove the entire display assembly to work on it.

6. nivisan

nivisan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    My screen is broken and i need to change it. I have a 4530s(LH297EA) laptop and I want to know if I want to upgrade from 1366*768 to any other resoution do I need to change the lcd cable? because you only talk about 1080p and not about 1680*768. I am afraid to change the lcd cable since there is no video.

Can someone please put back on youtube the video about How to replace your screen's cable video: HD+ screen cable replacement HP Probook 4530s - YouTube.

this is the information i got from hp:"The part number is 646311-001 and the product description is SPS-LCD PNL RAW 15.6 HD AG LED SVA LVDS" can you tell me where i can buy a screen compatible with my laptop.
    Thanks for your help.
    ps: Sorry for my english I am french.

7. NotSoLameBen

Reputations:
    Hi Nivisan,

Sorry to hear that your screen broke.

I'm not sure what you mean about upgrading to a 1680x768 screen. I don't believe that is a standard resolution, but I could be wrong. If you wanted to upgrade the the 900P or 1080P screens, you would need to replace the LCD cable.

Earlier on this page, timhour recommends a 900P screen as well as a 1080P screen. I can personally tell you that the AUO B156HW01 V.4 screen is compatible with the 4530S (if you upgrade the cable) since I'm using it right now.

As far as replacing the cable is concerned, in my experience it was not a difficult task by any means. The following link is for a service guide. Look for replacing the display assembly in that document for instructions on the entire process.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03054480/c03054480.pdf

Take a picture of how the cable is routed before you take the old one out, and make sure you route the new cable the same way. If you do that, you won't have any problems.

It may seem like a lot of work to take the keyboard and the top cover off, and it did take quite a bit of time, but it wasn't especially difficult. Also, if I had to replace just the screen, I think I would take the keyboard and the top cover off anyway.

Taking the screen apart is easy enough without taking the top cover off, but putting it back together is very difficult and could very well result in you breaking the screen hinge covers or the front bezel if you're not careful. I'm saying all of this to tell you that you shouldn't fear replacing the cable because you'll probably have to take the entire laptop apart to replace the screen anyway, and replacing the cable isn't hard at all.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if I wasn't clear on anything. If you have any other questions, I'll do what I can to help. Also, trust me when I say that the AUO B156HW01 V.4 screen is incredible and well worth the trouble upgrading from the original, and my screen wasn't even broken.

katalin_2003 likes this.
  8. jhonq

jhonq Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is there a nice 1366x768 that works with the 4530s? It's a pain to find a genuine B156HW01 V.4, plus i have issues with the higher DPI.

9. yonabarak

yonabarak Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, just replaced my screen with the suggested B156HW01 V.4.
    The screen works but the top left side is darker.
    Any ideas if thats a screen problem and I should get it replaced or maybe a connector problem, or inverter?

10. NinjaOne

NinjaOne Newbie

Reputations:
    I was looking into upgrading to a 1080p screen. Has anybody tried the cable from the 4730s?

One other question...
    Elsewhere I read that I may need to replace/upgrade the webcam cable as well. Is that actually the case?