HP ProBook 4530s - Fan always on - Help with DSDT editing or NHC ACPI module

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by jhonq, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonuk

dragonuk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    jhonq do you know why byte 38 and byte 50 don't display the cpu temp or gpu temp if you haven't opened aida64 ?

From a shutdown if you startup the pc and open rw everything byte 38 and byte 50 do not relate to the cpu temp or gpu temp, its static value .

Seems weird

2. lazydave80

lazydave80 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for replying jhonq, but I don't have the 4535s yet. In fact I've been following your progress on this for a few weeks and reading yours and others posts here and elsewhere while I've been saving up for a new laptop, and while I really want a 4535s this controllable fan issue is a deal breaker to be honest, as I really can't stand any fan noise at idle or low loads. It would almost drive me as insane as having a glossy screen!
    So I guess my question will remain unanswered until either someone tests this on an AMD machine, or I risk buying one and do it myself!

3. jhonq

jhonq Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As i've said many times on this topic, the values for cpu temp (byte 38) and gpu temp (byte 50) are SOMETIMES "stuck" after a standby, maybe at restarts and i've seen it even at cold boots! The issue is known and under investigation!.

To fix this and have them unstuck, a tool that "fingers" those values using ACPI is needed, like aida. I have also tested NHC with the same succes as aida.

That is why i post this again, untill something will be implemented in ProBook fan control to wake those values:

For proper use of the new tools and to activate the ability to turn off the fan, users MUST start aida64 and open sensors page, at every cold boot, maybe restart, and after a standby. You can close aida64 after it "wakes" the ec for proper byte 38 editing.

lazydave80, as posted here, the 4530s shares a bios with these series:

HP ProBook 4230s Notebook PC
    HP ProBook 4330s Notebook PC
    HP ProBook 4331s Notebook PC
    HP ProBook 4430s Notebook PC
    HP ProBook 4431s Notebook PC
    HP ProBook 4530s Notebook PC
    HP ProBook 4730s Notebook PC

It's not a guarantee that the 4535s EC works the same way, but i quess it must be similar.

I wrote post 58 and with that info, any hp user can open the EC in RW and observe where the cpu temp byte is and if editing it to something low sticks!

Easy...

4. lazydave80

Reputations:
    Yeah, thanks again jhonq. I don't see why it shouldn't work but I'll have to decide whether it's worth getting the 4535s as it might not.
    I'll keep an eye on this thread anyway as it's great seeing things unfold, and I might get lucky if a 4535s owner happens to come along...:)

5. jhonq

jhonq Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Offtopic : I i were you, i would stay away from that model or any other model in the similar series. Just for oane reason. The screen is craaaappy. Sure, most 1366x768 screens suck, but this one is particularly bad. Washed out colors etc. You just have to look at it next to a random sony for example and you would run away.

Hp is cheap but you get what you pay for. Meh, i guess that's what we have this for...

6. lazydave80

Reputations:
    Yeah, I have read about the poor screen quality. There is sample variance though and there are many videos and pictures online of screens on both the 4535s and the 4530s that I'd be more than happy with. As long as it's legible and ok for a bit of light gaming. Matte is the most important thing. I hate anything glossy as much as I hate intrusive fan noise!

BTW sorry for keeping things off topic. I'll stop bothering you now! Good luck with your fan control guys!

7. hhhd1

hhhd1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i do not know how much heat does the amd processor produce, that is the main point,
    so how much will you be able to control the fan depends mainly on that.

the screen imo is not that bad, its fine, not the best, but atleast it is not shiny.

8. jhonq

jhonq Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Found a very simple and effective solution to the "stuck EC" issue. It involves having AIDA64 load at startup with a temp tray icon. Just follow my lead and trust me, it will not bother you at all!

1. Open aida preferences, go to general and set it just like you see in the next picture:

[​IMG]

2. Hit apply and go to "Sensor Icons", tick "Show sensor icons", clear all and select just one randon sensor from Temperatures (i went with CPU Package), hit configure if you like some other text color etc and apply.

[​IMG]

3. The end result where we see the big blue icon (HPFC) and a smaller black one (AIDA).

[​IMG]

4. Hide what you don't like/need...

[​IMG]

5. Profit! :cool:

9. wii

wii IPS Rules

Reputations:
    jhong, where can I download the HPFanControl you are using? I'm currently using TP FanControl for Thinkpads, which works, but not perfectly, currently I'm using the manual mode at 255, which makes it almost silent in idle, but the lack of control is frustrating, I would like to try yours.

10. jhonq

jhonq Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    THIS IS IT!

The final version is live.

HPFanControl by troubadix - Scroll to the download area and you will find the link to download HPFanControl. All the info needed is inside the .ini and on this thread.

Please send a shout-out or some $ via paypal to troubadix, as he wasted time for us, making his two year old thinkpad tool compatible with our HP!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.