HP ProBook 4530s - Fan always on - Help with DSDT editing or NHC ACPI module

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by jhonq, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhonq

jhonq Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That is exactly right. The problem is that if left alone, the fan will not turn off when temp drops under 40C. It needs to hit 31C for this.

Wouldn't it be nice if the EC had a value for off that you can enter at any temp?

2. hhhd1

hhhd1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    fixing fan state to 128
    ambient temp is around 30c (relatively hot)

cpu i3-2310 with enabled intel speed step, frequency from 0.8 to 2.1
    average temp 43~48c , with short spikes to 50~60c

----

i guess i'll be looking at some open source fan control software to see what they do, .....

3. jhonq

jhonq Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Major breaktrough by accident, thanks to troubadix, the author of TPFanControl and ACFanControl and Grantig, at computerbase.de

troubadix suggested acfc could read temps if the sensors was shown the right byte in the EC.

He thought byte 50 is CPU temp and byte 38 GPU temp.

It's actualy the other way around.

Long story short, open the EC in RW, go to byte 38, double click it, edit it to something under 40C and you can do whatever you want with the fan. I have used 31C (1F), as can be seen here - http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/4600/eccputempbyte.jpg

This is a quick prime run to show the temps rise high and the fan is still off!
    http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/318/quickprimefanoff.jpg

Using the "not for public tool", that has another method of reading cpu temp, i can start the fan when i want, like a boss! :cool:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4425/temprise1.jpg

Auto = OFF. It works even if the speed is at 100%, it will turn the fan off, as the auto command (ff), resets the controler, and as it thinks cpu temp is 31C.... :p

Can't believe i've done it. After so long i have full control of the fan.

All we need now is a few updates to the probook tool, as temp reading is a bit jerky sometimes + it needs to send the edited cpu temp value to the EC at startup, so opening RW at every boot will not be needed.

I've been using the laptop with the fan off for the last half an hour and idle temps are in the low 50s.

4. jhonq

jhonq Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Warning! Setting the byte 38 in RW will stay locked at that value even after restart! To reset cpu temp reading i had do enter FF, but the laptop turned off right after with the gray screen "System was shut down to prevent overheating etc".

So use caution. If you set the byte 38 at 31C (1F), the fan will be locked off as cpu temp is locked This can cause overheating if you forget it off and prime etc.

You have been warned.

Edit: Just restarting the laptop keeps the saved value at byte 38. Turning it off and on is the same. Byte 38 will reset if you power off, remove battery or if not on batery, remove power plug. Easy.

Edit after a few days: CPU temp value can be reset instantly by writing 00 to the same byte 38!

5. hhhd1

hhhd1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's very good news.

about requiring poweroff and then poweron, i noticed that as well for any fan controling method, the restart doesnt work.
    a quick power off, leave it for 5 seconds, then power on. .. this should be enough without disconnecting the power source.

i'd be interested in knowing your ambient temp condition, the temp where is live tends to be high at summer, and reach 35~40c in some cases,

how does the temp build up over time in your case?

6. jhonq

jhonq Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's ~30C where i live now. I kept it fanless for ~ half an hour and idle temps were almost 55C. Case got a little warm, most of it in the lower left part, nothing to worry about. Hoping to have a fully working tpfc or the new probook control software soon.

7. kkkcrc

kkkcrc Newbie

Reputations:
    Please send me on (alex.grigorew@gmail.com) or public this your version of probookcontrol,version from ComputerBase writes that you notebook not supported,my laptop is hp 4530s (a1d18ea)with i5-2430m.Windows 7 x64

8. dragonuk

dragonuk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I take it this should work on the Probook 4330s . I guess it has the same way to control the fan ?

So at the moment is there any way to have the fan off and turn it on when the cpu reaches 50C or something like that?

Or is that not possible yet? If so what tools do I need

9. jhonq

jhonq Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    1. There is a tool written by Grantig, at computerbase.de, (ProBook Fan Control) that works with most current HPs. It's in beta stage and will be available to all soon. Some testers had issues with it so it's not wise to use it.

2. To test your HP notebook, just download RW - Read & Write , open the Ec and go to 0x26 (38), like i did, here - http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/4600/eccputempbyte.jpg
    Edit that value to a low temperature, like 31 (1f). Use a dec to hex converter - Binary/Decimal/Hexadecimal Converter
    Also look at byte 2e an 2f. Editing 2f you can change the fan speed (255 (ff) = off, 0 = max speed).

3. While you wait for a new simple tool, just use tpfc_v062.
    Edit .ini to Active=1, set it to bios mode or manual mode 128 and the fan will be locked at the lowest speed.

That's it for now, have patience.

10. dragonuk

dragonuk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How noisy is the lowest speed, I havent got my laptop yet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.