*HP ProBook 4430s & 4530s Owners Lounge!*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by xvvvz, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ize

ize Newbie

Reputations:
    New BIOS released:

Version: F.23 (9 Mar 2012)

- Fixes an issue where the BIOS Setup menu (F10) does not display the Modem Options after the system is restarted.

- Updates the HPQFlash utility to version 4.50.1.1

Wonder why HP skipped F.21-F.22! Nothing about improved fan/temperature control, anyone who has upgraded to this BIOS release who can report back?

2. dy1980

dy1980 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just downloaded the new f.23 myself but haven't installed it. Waiting to see what others post before I do so plus it doesn't seem very necessary

3. dy1980

Reputations:
    I've been just using the previous version of Power Assistant as a solution. I havent experience any audio buzz anymore. Did HP post a fix or did they just acknowledge that it is a known issue now?

4. dy1980

Reputations:

I seem to be running into this problem as well. They work fine with drivers when you first install them from the HP Software that comes with the laptop but then after I update them with the support assistant, they get messed up. The wifi gets a red x and wont see any networks at all. Tried everything from uninstalling/reinstalling using different versions and noting fixes it. Tried this 3 times restoring to factory and no dice. I give up and just stayed away from the update till they get it fixed

5. ize

ize Newbie

Reputations:
    HP's statement "Some versions of HP Power Assistant conflict with the device drivers in Microsoft Windows" does not specify which version causes the problems. But based on reports on the HP support forums and on on notebookreview it appears that Version: 2.1.0.6 (22 Jul 2011) sp54021.exe (27 MB) is one of the "bad" ones.

HP solution is simply to install the latest Version: 2.0.6.0 (25 Oct 2011) sp54635.exe (27 MB).

Of course normal version logic would say that 2.1.0.6 is newer than 2.0.6.0 but that is not true in this case! Look at the HP PA revision history. A jump from 2.0.4.0 to 2.1.0.6 and back to 2.0.5.1

Most probable fault scenarios:
    1. People are manually upgrading to the "highest" version = 2.1.0.6 which will cause problems.
    2. HP Support Assistant automatically downloads the "highest" version = 2.1.0.6 which will cause problems. I can't confirm this because I don't use HP Support Assistant for updates.

6. Arminator

Arminator Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Happened to me too on Windows 8 CP...

I fixed it by uninstalling device driver and let the Windows install the one form its own database... BTW my Wlan Card is Atheros based...

Also I am experiencing issue on cable LAN every time I reconnect the cable, I have to fix some issue using Troubleshooter.

7. mladdy

mladdy Newbie

Reputations:
    You really don't need the update. I mean why try to fix something that ain't broke? I didn't see any difference at all after the update, other than the fact that it messed up things. So same here, I steered clear from the new one.

8. Shemmy

Shemmy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Because you don't know if it's broken or not. Sometimes drivers have security holes, even if they are 100% functional. A machine that isn't fully patched and up to date is generally more vulnerable than one which is.

9. hhhd1

hhhd1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    there is f.25 bios now

some poeple had issues with f.20 with the fingerprint reader, hope they test those f.23 and f.25 and see if its fixed ?

i am having an issue with detecting harddrives on cold boots, its takes the bios too long to detect them, and it fails to boot, but if i make it wait a bit in the bios menue (by pressing esc 2 times) it boots normally.

and some online forums suggested to upgrade the bios.

10. ZeroHunter

ZeroHunter Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I had that exact same problem / effect with a Crucial M4 SSD 256Gb, I tried every fix I could find on the web, and nothing worked changed the drive to an OCZ Sata3 unit and the problem went away. So I have to guess that the bios does not seem to 'hand shake' correctly with some Sata3 devices.