*HP ProBook 4430s & 4530s Owners Lounge!*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by xvvvz, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daitern

daitern Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just to add some of my exp.. I burnt a couple of disks with that optical drive (inc a data recovery of my ssd) and had some problems when veryfing them on imgburn then again it may be my drive only but thats me. I did not send it back because I have 2 external writers and one on my rig so reading only on my probook is more than enough..

2. sanja2503

sanja2503 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys :)

I have a 4530s and I noticed that all of a sudden when I use fn+f8/f9 for volume level it does not show up on the bottom of the screen like it used to. It's driving me crazy! :eek:

Do you know how to fix this? Thanks a lot!

3. Shemmy

Shemmy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Having upgraded the RAM to 16GB, installing and SSD in the main hard drive bay, and replacing my ODD with a rotational HDD, I can say that these things are capable of screaming, even with the i3. I actually run Windows Server 2008 R2 as my desktop OS with Hyper-V (for fun and for my labs). Right now, I have both Server 08 and Win 7 Pro running in VMs and it's still smooth :D

4. VA1

VA1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Any noticeable noise difference with the SSD? I am finding my 7200rpm HDD pretty loud.

5. Shemmy

Shemmy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just the fan noise! I have a WD Scorpio Blue in an ODD caddy, but that's a quiet drive.

6. Davis Goertzen

Davis Goertzen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey all,
    Thanks for your replies, especially Arminator and daitern. I really value your input. Just a couple more questions, if you don't mind.

I sometimes do some home movie editing, and also have a couple DirectX 9-era games that I've been known to play occasionally (one's a flight simulator). I don't do these things a whole lot though. Do you figure the integrated Intel graphics would handle these things all right? I'm a little in the dark as to just how strong they are.

Just one other question, for Arminator. You confused me a little when you said
    And then you said
    So my question is, at my local Staples (I'm in BC, Canada) I can get either a machine with the i5, 4 Gb RAM, and integrated GPU for $700, or get the one with the i7, 8 Gb RAM, and dedicated GPU for $1000. Maybe there are other options that I'm unaware of.

Anyway, thanks for replying, and yes, it was very helpful.

Davis

7. ColdnFrosty

ColdnFrosty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am having an unusual problem with my 4430S. While typing, the keyboard is randomly missing letters, somethimes two in a row. This is resulting in numerous errors in what is typed. Wondering if it could be a driver or bios issue? Anyone with similar problems? Thoughts?

8. mladdy

mladdy Newbie

Reputations:
    Heya people! I received my 4430s around 2 weeks back, I can heartily say its a pretty swell laptop! Handles my Autocad, Photoshop and Blender needs just fine (not rendering though, for that I have an i7 desktop).

I have a problem though. I'm unable to install the Realtek Lan drivers for the ethernet controller, and in turn its not working at all. I want to connect this 4430s with my desktop using a Cat5/Cat6 cable and keep some crucial folders in sync all the time, but I'm unable to install the drivers. I tried multiple drivers from different dates, all it does is show the Installation dialogue box and then 'The program failed to install correctly...' thingy.

What can I do? This is really important to me; thanks for any help anyone can give.

9. VA1

VA1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It happened to me on two occasions that I remember. I just put it to sleep then woke it up and it was fine. No problem since that.

10. Arminator

Arminator Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Davis Goertzen You said:
    "I also use my laptop to listen to music, surf the web, watch youtube, do some home movies sometimes, stuff like that."
    Since you haven`t mentioned any gaming, that is why I made my conclusion regarding GPU...
    Anyway, if you find the $1000 version affordable then go for it, you won`t regret it... :)

Cheers